Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#208635 - 09/08/09 06:14 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Mom2paulie, you are out of line.

Not necessarily in reply to the OP (original poster) but to all situations that you are painting with that one, broad brush you are using.

Originally Posted By: mom2paulie
And I don't care if you're home all day. I'm home all day all summer, and I have 4 birds. I cook for them, keep their cages and environment clean, spend time playing with them and enriching their lives.

So what happens in the remaining 9 months? (rhetorical question only!)

How does being home all day for the summer compare to being home all the time? Again, a rhetorical question.

Because you have 4 birds and don't feel you meet their needs (not that any of us can, because the wild is what meets their needs) but in captive lives, then is 3 birds the "magic number", or 2, or 1, or is it 0?? (Again a rhetorical question.)

Each situation is different and to label any one person a hoarder or a collector (there is a defined difference you know) based strictly upon the number in their care, or the number the can properly (notice I did not say adequately) care for is just BS.

I have 13 birds, so I guess by your standards (capable of what you can handle?) I am a hoarder/collector also. (Another rhetorical question there!)

I do not agree with the OP's decision to buy a baby cockatoo, or breed cockatiels, but Mom2paulie, your reply took it to a totally different dimension. Tread carefully across that imaginary line you are drawing. Broad brushes are sloppy.

For those interested here is a good report: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/pubs/AngellReport.pdf

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#208642 - 09/08/09 02:43 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
You know after being in many multiple bird homes, some excellent, some good, some not so good, some horrible, I have come to one conclusion and that is birds do better with less human contact. They do better with other birds. We screw them up by treating them like feathered children instead of the wild, intelligent animals they really are. Cuddling, hugging, kissing are all things that confuse birds. I know people who have 2 birds and their homes are disgusting but I also know people with 20 birds and their homes are immaculate. If I lived in a house, there is no doubt that I would get at least 6 more big birds. Probably more greys and smaller cockatoos like goffins because there's plenty of them out there to adopt. As it is now, I find all 4 of my birds compete for my attention when it would be best for them to have an avian buddy.

Now we all know there are hoarders out there. I know a couple myself. They keep taking in birds, won't vet them, house is filthy yet they don't see anything wrong with their situation. Hoarding is a psychiatric disorder and is actually very, very sad for animals and humans.

I really, really believe because I've seen it over and over again that birds do better with less human contact. We aren't exactly marvelous role models for any animal.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#208650 - 09/08/09 06:46 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
Cheryl- I'd like to comment on your original question. I also purchased a baby goffin's 'too about a year ago. I was completely unaware of the fact that so many cockatoos are constantly being rehomed and had I known, I would have adopted instead.

However, what's done is done, and the most important thing at this point is for you to give this bird the best home possible. Our goffin's was 3 mos when we brought him home, and we had to give him supplemental spoon feedings several times a day until he was about 13 mos or so. Trust your instincts. If you think he/she is crying for food, that probably is the case, so just go ahead and offer it.

Good luck with your 'too; I hope he/she has a healthy and happy life with you.

#208656 - 09/08/09 08:54 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]  
CherylA Offline
CherylA  Offline

California
Thank you all for making your opinions known. I feel that in order for the care and needs of the birds we have, can be met, a variety of abilities, interactions, and personalities of us human caretakers has been set in order.
I feel we all dedicate unsumountable time to the love and care that our feathered friends deserve. Not all our birds want a hands on type of interaction because they've come from previous lives that were questionable. Consequently, my interaction is allowing them to move forward on their own accord being shown the love and respect they deserve at their own pace. Regardless of their bitey nature or unwillingness to interact the way I would like them to, they all deserve to come out of their cages daily and go outside to our different aviaries frequently, as well as see a daily interaction of offering food and different activities from us.
We came to this site to interact with those of like mind that have a love for our feathered friends and want to glean and learn from others how to become the best that we can be as their human caretaker.
Yes, we agree, we have made some very rash decisions in the purchase of some of our birds as babies. But please understand as I have mentioned in previous posts. We were unaware that this was the case at the time of our purchases and have since learned of our error. That's why we're here on this site. To learn, to understand, and to endorse what this site stands for. The anger and pain felt for the abused and unwanted birds is, I assure you, felt deeply in our hearts.
With that said, we again, humbly accept the written finger shaking, but please allow us to move forward with what we have and what we can continue to learn from all of you.
I feel like we've been placed in the corner with a dunce hat on. Sooooo, when can we leave the corner and be accepted with the lesson learned?
Then again, perhaps the issues brought up in this string was something that needed to be discussed so that we can all see the differences in opinions with how we choose to do our part. So basically we agree to disagree on certain aspects of the quantity of our flocks and we as individuals feel we can handle.

#208660 - 09/08/09 09:31 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

First off, Welcome Cheryl and all your feathered angels. By now I am sure you understand what the agenda is here and will respect that. Most of us, like you, were totally unaware until we found Mytoos. I am just glad you found us, and look forward to hearing all about your flock and pictures too!

I normally dont comment on threads where I see conflict arising, I leave that for the admins. They do a wonderful job here and are so much more knowledgeable than myself. However I do want to comment on animal hoarding for just a moment.
As already stated hoarding isn't any certain number, but rather the condition in which a hoarder lives. For animal hoarders there is no medical care given, homes become filthy, there isn't enough food for pets or humans and the list goes on. Also Hoarders do not seek out advice on caring for animals, nor do they really want anyone else to know about their pets period. I seriously doubt a hoarder would ever join a forum and ask for advice on care. Hoarding isn't about caring for animals but a compulsive need/ illness.

I come from a home that was filled with pets, many were large parrots. Most of which were given/dumped on my parents. Our home was spotless, vet care was exceptional (since our vet came to our home for us). Were my parents hoarders lol, no they were kind folks who loved animals, and took in what everyone else discarded. We were fortunate to have a large enough home/ranch to accommodate them all. They were provided ALL the proper care and love needed, and our home was still well organized and clean.

For each of us, the number of companions will vary depending on what each one of us is capable of handling within our homes, hearts and financial means. Having less doesnt mean that you care for each one more, neither does having more. It is about knowing what our limits are, and doing the best for those within our care even if that is 1 or 20. I know folks who think 1 Too is far too many lol.

That is the difference between hoarding and caring imho.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#208661 - 09/08/09 09:42 PM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Cebr2007]  
CherylA Offline
CherylA  Offline

California
Thank you so much for your caring response. I have indeed supplemented this babies food intake with the hand feeding. I use a small baby spoon which seems to work wonderful. "Peaches" asks me to eat three X a day and is quite content. We have no problem with this and because we started giving the chick handfed preps as soon as we realized the next day after we brought it home, we noticed much improvement on the energy level and the interaction we receive. This baby will always have a home with us as long as we live and upon saying that, we have also made preps on where all our birds will go upon our passing or health problems occur.
Thanks again for sharing with me and understanding that although we humans make the mistake of purchasing until we gain knowledge about the other side of what the bird industry stands for, we can turn around a make a stand for whats right for our feathered friends!

Thank you Deb for your honest response.
To be quite honest, I played with the idea of just moving on when I felt so attacked, then I played it back over and over and decided to hit it face on instead of running off like a poor whacked puppy!
Your points were well made and indeed, it all plays out as to if the human is collecting artifacts, whether it be animals or property, or if the human is a heartfelt "humanitarian" that works within what he has to help life!
There are pros and cons as to where to draw the lines of course and we must all do our inner search as to where those lines must be.
In fact, I just got another call this a.m., by a woman that drives me crazy with the way she handles her animals.
She adopts, and takes in animals from this person and that and agencies. After a few months if the animal doesn't seem to fit in with what she is looking for, she calls those around her to give them away. It just hurts my heart and makes me angry. Today the call was asking me to take in a 27 yr old Cockatoo that tended to bite sometimes. She knew this when she took the bird in 3 months ago. Now, she, again, makes the excuse that she just can't trust the bird and needs to rehome it. I have decided, I just can't take in any more animals........
I referred her to two women that live in another town that deal specifically with cockatoos and larger birds.
This particular woman has given me 10 birds in the last 1 1/2 years. I tell her on a regular basis that the bird should be loved for what it wants to give and her love in return can only be what they will accept. I think she just wants a cuddly toy that she can dispose of when she gets tired of it or it doesn't suite her fancy anymore. It makes me soooo angry!
She informed me that she was only going to get baby birds from now on and that she was on her way to get a baby ringneck!! What do you do with people like that!

Last edited by Janny; 09/09/09 02:01 AM. Reason: combined the double post
#208666 - 09/09/09 12:15 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: CherylA

To be quite honest, I played with the idea of just moving on when I felt so attacked, then I played it back over and over and decided to hit it face on instead of running off like a poor whacked puppy!

Glad you decided to stick it out with us lol. Honesty here sometimes can come across sounding harsh, but it is due to the horrible reality that is happening to birds in captivity across this world. Somebody has to speak up for them!

Originally Posted By: CherylA

She informed me that she was only going to get baby birds from now on and that she was on her way to get a baby ringneck!! What do you do with people like that!

send her here wink

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#208673 - 09/09/09 02:08 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well sending her here is one thing. You can also print off some of the rescue stories of success for her to read. You can remind her that even as babies when they grow up and mature you are not going to have that same personality you bought in the begining. They all change as they grow.Flood her with information and speak from the heart.I find that is the best approach.

Sounds like you are doing wonderful with Peaches. Make sure you spend lots of time showing her how to play with toys and such now too. That is also very important.It is a great way to interact with her too and not have her clinging to you too much as she grows up. You will have to teach her to dance cockatoo style lifting your arms and legs and bobbing around and making racket too. It's an all time favorite here.lol.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#208709 - 09/09/09 06:50 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Janny]  
Bridgette Offline
Bridgette  Offline

CheryIA - Everyone starts somewhere. As far as this website I'm fairly new to it so I don't usually say a whole lot I just like to read in learn but I "have" to comment.

I think that EVERYONE in their lifetime except for people who don't like animals has made the mistake of getting one of their pets from somewhere that wasn't reputable and encouraged the pet industry to keep running. I myself am no different. My dog of 9 years now for example I "bought" from a backyard breeder and the pups were in a TERRIBLY situation. IN once case I did technically rescue my dog probably from dying and he's the best dog I've EVER had (in fact he's snoring beside me now) BUT on the other hand I just encouraged a backyard breeder to keep breeding.

Being a bird owner is somewhat new to me but I can confidently say it's something I do not regret. I adopted my Umbrella Cockatoo she's 6 years old according to the dead beats I got her from. The rehoming fee was reasonable and the bird was in a very small cage and it was obvious it was a good rescue. As much as I like her btw though I learned that all the research I did prior to getting her was pretty useless lol. Birds really have a unique personality and WOW my little Tinker has tested me and bit me and all of it has been my fault. Yet our bond continues to flourish daily from what I learn from here and everyone here helps me every time I have a question. Even when the answer has occasionally been in front of me and I've just overlooked it. They repeat it just for me smile They have been very kind and they've made a big difference in the life of my birdy and I.

Like you've seen and the more you read you'll understand it will become VERY obvious why buying from pet stores just doesn't work. I don't think any of us need to waggle our finger because I would really disbelieve anyone saying they've not EVER bought a pet from a petstore. The information is just not as widely known as people think it is. And even after being chastised by someone it takes research to truly understand what a terrible mistake that is!

So I'm absolutely not judging you. From the sounds of it I'm very impressed at the flock you have. Like someone else mentioned in MANY cases (bird specifically) it really does seem very obvious to me that the less human contact and more same species contact birds have the better they do. So having so many of them as long as they are being kept clean and vetted it sounds AMAZING how well you have done.

In fact I'm very interested to see all the lovely babies you have and how they interact. Someday I would like to have a sanctuary like that. If you you'd like a bird friend to chat with off site (someone far less experienced than you lol) contact me anytime <email address removed> (I'd say just pm me but I've noticed pm's are disabled frown )

I hope your Goffin does well and that you are able to expose the pet store. I also hope that you'll be able to research like most of the people here have done and vow to never support the pet industry again smile But I think you are well on your way to that. I hope to read more from you in the future. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with birds and I'm SURE with all of the birds you have you have a plethora of experience to share with us less experienced people. I'm sure you will fit in fine smile

Last edited by EchosMom; 09/09/09 06:57 AM. Reason: email addresses are not allowed to be posted here
#208757 - 09/10/09 04:09 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Bridgette]  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Wow... It's not usually my style to "ruffle feathers" in this way. I see that the word "hoarding" is what set people off. I honestly wasn't thinking in terms of all that implies, like neglecting medical care and filthy living conditions. My only concern was the amount of time it takes to maintain 20 birds. I honestly can't even imagine how it is done. And, I truly didn't consider people who have birds that don't enjoy interacting with them. That's a totally different situation, like aviary birds. I don't think it's good for us or our animals to be complacent about how we care for them. We should be questioning and re-evaluating so that we can give them all the best. That's my last word on the subject.

#208818 - 09/11/09 01:16 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: Bridgette]  
CherylA Offline
CherylA  Offline

California
Thanks Bridgette smile
I will place pictures and stories of all my babies in the future and hopefullly with each story I read as well as the ones I post, all of us continue to learn and grow with our feathered friends.

#208823 - 09/11/09 03:21 AM Re: How old should a baby Goffin be to wean? [Re: CherylA]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Cheryla, My hat is off to you. I had at least 20 smaller birds (tiels or smaller) at one time. It was work. To be honest I think the smaller ones are more labor intensive than larger birds. I only have 4 now (3 large birds) and I'm loving life but 2 of them have only been here about 6 months so we are still honeymooners. One thing is for sure without any one of them my life would be less bright.
One of my honeymooners is a goffins 25 years old. Eveyone who has met him has fallen in love but he is a little pickey as to who he likes. I would love to live in a concrete house that could be hosed out and have about 12 of them LOL. Good luck and I look forward to hearing of your success. Deb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny