Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#207489 - 08/24/09 02:31 PM Re: Pro's & Con's of having 2 cockatoos [Re: BE2Cassie]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Another thing of interest in a large aviary is that the birds are free to pick out their own buddies, so to speak. In an aviary at the Melbourne zoo, they had 4 RB2s; 3 of them flocked together and hung out together. The 4th RB2 hung out with a Sulfur Crested; they preened each other and slept by each other on a perch; one of the volunteers called them the "odd couple".

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#207563 - 08/25/09 01:00 AM Re: Pro's & Con's of having 2 cockatoos [Re: Elliott]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Hi Brainreynolds03, I have 11 toos each has his/her own cage and they are out under my supervision, and they are all diffrent pesonalities and I have many females, but I don't see this great companionship and keeing each other company. Although my U2 and Blue-eyed too preen the heads of others and they interact, like another 2 of my girls I wouldn't dream of having them share a cage. I think a cage is too too small however big it may be to have to Toos together.

#207655 - 08/26/09 01:50 AM Re: Pro's & Con's of having 2 cockatoos [Re: whitewings56]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: whitewings56
Although my U2 and Blue-eyed too preen the heads of others and they interact, like another 2 of my girls I wouldn't dream of having them share a cage. I think a cage is too too small however big it may be to have to Toos together.

+1. Heed the warning of those that know...if both birds are of equal size and either can retreat if desired, then supervised interaction is possible. But locking 2 in a cage and going off to work...a recipe for disaster.

If your intent in aquiring a 2nd Too was to make your life easier it will still be double the work for you...to keep them safe, clean, occcupied...having 2 Toos does not reduce the time required by 1 Too...trust me...I added one 2.5 months ago and though we have a nice little system going on it is stil twice the meal prep, twice the cage cleaning, twice the baths, toys, etc...

Invest the time with Cloe...learn what she likes and dislikes and give her the time to learn to trust you...it will be worth the investment...

#213855 - 12/19/09 10:00 AM Re: Pro's & Con's of having 2 cockatoos [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
I have made the mistake of allowing my TOO to see me making a fuss over a cockatiel.. i came home to find my Cockatiel without a leg.

I also would advise against it.. Perhaps you could do what i did for many years after my "mistake".. Seperate the birds... Only have ONE HAND REARED BIRD.. all other birds in cages outside the house NEVER INSIDE NEVER. My Cockatoo would then live inside with me and go out the back into his BACKYARD CAGE. Whilst the many other birds are in cages at the FRONT of the house - keep them separated. Lastly ensure that the cages have small wire around them - that is wire that the cockatoo CANNOT get his/her beak through she the bird inside in safe. Of course it really helps is you let the 'no 1' bird know he is 'no 1' - don't ever threaten that relationship - or you will come home to half a bird.
Many poeple have menageries of birds, but i think you wiLl find that they have to move birds around often because they fight etc and of course Too are always at THE TOP OF THE LIST.
Peter, Izzy Penny

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny