Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#204792 - 07/24/09 06:11 PM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: GregM]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
It is the type filter you use on a room

ie: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5130782&findingMethod=rr

there are as many sizes and styles as there are cockatoos...lol it's an individual choice.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#204793 - 07/24/09 06:23 PM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: Brandy's mom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

You can even make your own also by using a box fan, and taping a filter to the side that the air is forced out on. The filter does need to be a good one, we have used these Filtrete Allergen Reducer

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#204819 - 07/24/09 10:57 PM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=544&Searchpage=1&Main=67&Words=%22air+purifier%22&Search=true#Post544

Here is the thread where Jerry introduced us to the box fan and a/c filter idea.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#204866 - 07/25/09 01:22 PM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: GregM]  
Doubleyolk Offline
Doubleyolk  Offline

Massachusetts
We have a dedicated room for our parrots and don't use sleep cages. My E2 Eddie is the only one that gets covered at night and he let's me know when he wants to be covered at dusk and when he wants it off at sunrise.

#206243 - 08/10/09 11:35 PM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: Doubleyolk]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
Dazzle sleeps in a sleep cage. Originally it was because when he first came home, he wasn't gaining weight (he had just been weaned but regressed) and the vet thought part of the problem was he wasn't getting enough sleep.

Well, his cage is too big to be covered at night, so we started putting him in a smaller cage with a cover at night. And I'm so glad we did. He really seems to like the security, and when he does have to spend time in his cage during the day, I think he views it more as a really cool play area than a home.

-Christine
#208491 - 09/05/09 07:46 AM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: Cebr2007]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Sleep cage here! In my walk in closet on a shelf. All but one side covered with a fleece blanket. One main toy, a chain link, maybe a few other little toys attached to the sides. I bought a sound machine off amazon.com that has like 13 sounds, and I use "summer night". Weird, he can still hear me as I come into my bedroom, even though I made virtually no noise. Let's out a squawk. Goes to bed at 7:30-8 and wakes up about 8.

We would not function properly without a sleep cage.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#253113 - 09/03/13 04:23 AM Re: How many people use a sleep cage? [Re: GregM]  
MissMelissa420 Offline
MissMelissa420  Offline

Oceanside, Ca
Up until recently my conures (Sun and Green Cheek) slept in their shared cage with a light sheet over. We have a one bedroom with a small bathroom and kitchen/living room, where the birds cages are. The conures are great at sleeping through our noise and talking but when we adopted our U2 Halo, we discovered that he NEEDS a consistent 12 hours of sleep to control his hormones. We have a smaller cage that would only work for sleep or travel bc its much smaller but it seems to have been a good change for him. My fiance works 2-11pm and gets home around midnight after riding his bike home, so he needs the living room and bathroom at a late hour and this was NOT okay with Halo. So his sleep cage is on a small table on the side of our bed and he settles down and sleeps immediately after we put him to bed. Sometimes he wakes temporarily when I come to bed but he settles down right away and drifts off again. In the morning if he wakes before me, which only happens on the weekend when we sleep in, he just bites softly on the bars until I get up and take him to his big cage. I usually give them all fresh breakfast and put music on then go back to sleep for a little longer if I can. Weekdays I'm out the door by 630 so if I do all that they generally keep themselves entertained and let daddy sleep smile I hope that when we move next summer to a bigger house we can have a room dedicated to the birds for sleeping purposes, maybe put them in sleep cages in a guest room because I much prefer having day cages in common areas so that they can be around us and we can all communicate with them even if they're not out. The better quality of sleep in the last week since we started putting him in his sleep cage has made a noticable difference and his plucking and mating/dominance issues have shown improvement as well. We are very happy with our little U2 crazy chicken.

My World:
Hubby: Joe
U2: Halo
Conures: Bennie (GCC) & Kaly (Sun)
Pits: Corduroy & Jelly
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny