Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203718 - 07/07/09 09:47 PM Dry skin? Enough fat in diet?  
christina0001 Offline
christina0001  Offline

MO
I feed my (feather shredding) M2, Harrison's Adult Course pellets (which she loves). Lately I've been fretting over her dry skin. She chews a bit on her ankles sporadically, sometimes making them bleed. And under her feathers, her skin flakes a little. For about a week now I've been cutting off bits of my aloe plant and rubbing the juice on her ankles. They look slightly improved although that might have happened on their own. Since I started the aloe I haven't seen her chew on her ankles; this could be from the aloe, or maybe she's just not in the mood to chew her ankles. I also shower her weekly. I saw someone recommended an aloe based spray in another thread, but boy does she hate to be sprayed or misted - just the sight of a spray bottle makes her run. I wondered if she has enough fat in her diet. She does eat people food daily and gets maybe 5 nuts a week as a treat (almonds, brazil, walnuts, hazelnuts). Or maybe I am worrying over nothing. Any thoughts?

Last edited by christina0001; 07/07/09 09:47 PM.
#203723 - 07/07/09 10:23 PM Re: Dry skin? Enough fat in diet? [Re: christina0001]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Bathing and adding a humidifier would probably be better than adding more fats to her diet. My Toos are scared of the spray bottle, but will tolerate a pump out sprayer. You can get a small liter size sprayer from Lowes or Home Depot. Just make sure to rinse really good and be sure that it has not been used and returned to the store.

#203808 - 07/09/09 01:12 AM Re: Dry skin? Enough fat in diet? [Re: Elliott]  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
I use a sprayer which my bird HATES, so I actually spray it into my hands and rub it on the dry areas. I always make sure my hands are clean first. You have to be careful though if they are being horomonal because they can view this as a "come on", but it's the only way I can get the spray on my too.

#203822 - 07/09/09 04:22 AM Re: Dry skin? Enough fat in diet? [Re: OogieBird]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
When Bogie first arrived here, he skin was a bit dry and flaky(thankfully no feather chewing). I misted him every other day w/ a 4 or 5 to 1 mix of water to aloe juice. While he wasn't crazy about the process, it certainly solved that problem.He did have a habit of chewing a bit on his feet when they appeared to be dry. We started aloe gel footrubs every second or third day, and his habit of worrying his feet just about ceased. The foot rubs are still given once or twice a week; aloe mistings continue twice a week, in addition to at least one good soaking luke warm shower each week. He has started to enjoy the real showers so much, we often get in more than one a week.

John

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny