Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203255 - 06/30/09 04:04 PM New Umbrella Too  
b00giebird Offline
b00giebird  Offline

Hi guys, I just bought a 1 1/2 year old Umbrella Too. I have 2 quakers but this is my first decent sized parrot. My first question is, how many times a day should the birdie eat? also if I put out vegetables for her how long should they be out until they spoil? Thanks.

Last edited by b00giebird; 06/30/09 04:19 PM.
#203260 - 06/30/09 04:52 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
Meegsmom Offline
Meegsmom  Offline

Alberta Canada
Is this a serious post??????????????????

#203265 - 06/30/09 06:09 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: Meegsmom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Please review the agenda here
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292
We are against the breeding and purchasing of all birds.
Fresh foods should be removed after about an hour and no more than two. Most feed their birds a meal 2 or 3 times per day with pellets available 24/7.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#203268 - 06/30/09 07:29 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: BE2Cassie]  
b00giebird Offline
b00giebird  Offline

Didn't know it was that serious, thanks for your response though.

#203269 - 06/30/09 08:12 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
Meegsmom Offline
Meegsmom  Offline

Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: b00giebird

Purchasing a bird without educating yourself first is serious - you obviously got it from either a petstore or a breeder and if so, why didn't you ask THEM for advice BEFORE taking the bird - or better yet, why not research the species before even purchasing one in the first place.
Any reputable rescue would never adopt a bird out without first ensuring the new owner has ALL the information they need to care for the bird - thats why I am assuming you got it from some idiot who would rather take your money than make sure you have the facts on hand before taking on a cockatoo.
It is serious because if you fail to provide what this bird needs, the bird suffers - if your not feeding it enough or the right things, it will have vitamin deficiencies, if the time spent with it is not enough, it starts to have behaviorial problems, the list is endless, and in the end..five years from now, you have a neurotic cockatoo that your wanting "give away" because you can't handle the problems and it ends up in rescues like mine or others across the country.
I take questions like that seriously because it means another person failed to do their research and educate themselves and others end up picking up the broken pieces.

Read the site entirely and learn everything you can about your bird - also read the articles about mixing birds and the dangers involved - don't allow your quakers near the other bird and for curiousity sake, did you quarantine this bird before bringing it around your other birds and has he been in for a wellness checkup??

#203272 - 06/30/09 09:25 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: Meegsmom]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Hi bOOgiebird - I see that you're brand new to the site and like many on this board, have purchased a bird before becoming aware of the terrible bird breeding/selling problem with all it's attendant cruelties. I did not buy, I adopted but was totally ignorant about the needs of a 'too. The person who talked me into adopting this bird was a so-called "expert" and I could write a book about all the wrong things I was taught. For starters, I was told to feed her hamburger, cheese, and seed and it went on from there. At least you know about veggies! I also joined the board before thoroughly reading and understanding the agenda. By reading all the information, not just the messages, I learned about the plight of captive birds and now I'm a loud voice condeming breeding and selling. I think after you learn, as I did, you will have a different view of purchasing but hindsight is 20/20 - what's done is done and now the learning can start. Everyone is very straight forward here as the bird's best interests are paramount Be thick-skinned and you will get what you need to make your and your too's life happy. Much of what I have learned was through the "Search" feature. Good luck with your U2.

Last edited by Cleo's Mom; 06/30/09 09:27 PM.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#203284 - 07/01/09 01:01 AM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Hi Cleo's Mom,
They really told you to feed your Too hamburgers, cheese and seed ???? but thats crazy.
Where did this so-called expert come from - planet Mars by any chance or did he smoke his brains instead of tabacco ??'
The more I read the stories on this board and the more I realize what a serious serious problem there is in the US on the parrot issue.

#203290 - 07/01/09 02:31 AM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.

Boogie...dont take it personally...spend some time here, and I implore you to do so, and you will see why they are as serious as they are...there is good reason...

But you have your Too now so you need to educate yourself, bigtime. Most of your questions are already answered in other threads on this board. Use the search function and ask questions...just do not mention buying birds, breeders, or question the agenda..trust me, everyone here wants to see you suceed with your Too.

While I am no authority I can offer some advise from my very limited experience...

If your U2 is not on some type of pellet you should convert. How to do it is the subject of several threads. I have pellets in the cage at all times and Buddy eats breakfast with me...just about anything healthy for us is healthy for them, except avacado, choclate and a few others...there is a list of toxic foods some where here on the board.

I the mid day I usually offer some fresh fruit and at dinner there is salad, with raw veggies, a little protien and a vegatable. Two handfuld of seed is all he sees after dinner for desert whlle I clean up...a half a walnut and an almond in the shell are also daily treats...try some reduced fat peanut butter as well...it has to be refrigderated and comes out of the jar in chunks and Buddy loves it...just some ideas...

I do things diffently than most in that I do not cook food, fill a bowl and leave it in the cage for a period of time. Buddy is right off the kitchen so as we eat I just hand feed him a piece at a time as the meal progresses...just my preference...figure out what works for you...what type of cage and where you situate it is important as well...he needs to be in the thick of things...center of activity in the home...

And read, read, read...

#203317 - 07/01/09 07:16 AM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: GregM]  
b00giebird Offline
b00giebird  Offline

Originally Posted By: GregM

Boogie...dont take it personally...spend some time here, and I implore you to do so, and you will see why they are as serious as they are...there is good reason...

But you have your Too now so you need to educate yourself, bigtime. Most of your questions are already answered in other threads on this board. Use the search function and ask questions...just do not mention buying birds, breeders, or question the agenda..trust me, everyone here wants to see you suceed with your Too.

While I am no authority I can offer some advise from my very limited experience...

If your U2 is not on some type of pellet you should convert. How to do it is the subject of several threads. I have pellets in the cage at all times and Buddy eats breakfast with me...just about anything healthy for us is healthy for them, except avacado, choclate and a few others...there is a list of toxic foods some where here on the board.

I the mid day I usually offer some fresh fruit and at dinner there is salad, with raw veggies, a little protien and a vegatable. Two handfuld of seed is all he sees after dinner for desert whlle I clean up...a half a walnut and an almond in the shell are also daily treats...try some reduced fat peanut butter as well...it has to be refrigderated and comes out of the jar in chunks and Buddy loves it...just some ideas...

I do things diffently than most in that I do not cook food, fill a bowl and leave it in the cage for a period of time. Buddy is right off the kitchen so as we eat I just hand feed him a piece at a time as the meal progresses...just my preference...figure out what works for you...what type of cage and where you situate it is important as well...he needs to be in the thick of things...center of activity in the home...

And read, read, read...

Very helpful thank you, from what i've read I figured I would get lots of hate by coming to this site but I completely understand the reason for it. I'm strictly here to learn just like I did when I found my quaker parrot. The U2 is currently on a seed and pellet diet and does not even want to look at a piece of corn or pea, this worries me since my birdie will definitely not be on a seed diet. Tomorrow i'll be tossing up a batch of different things like whole grains, fruits, and vegies to see how he reacts. I'm not sure how to convert him to regular food but i'm informed in converting pellets. Also i've heard that seeds are good in moderation so they don't drop in weight? Thanks for the help and if you can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by b00giebird; 07/01/09 07:17 AM.
#203321 - 07/01/09 08:06 AM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

"...from what i've read I figured I would get lots of hate by coming to this site... "

Hi, and welcome.
I'll just add my two cents in here. Whereabouts did you read that you'll "get lots of hate by coming to this site"???? What an outrageous, ignorant comment!!!
I, for one, have found the people that contribute to this board are the most devoted, caring, supportive and helpful people I have encountered. Do not mistake tough love for 'hate' - hang around long enough and you'll find that people here are extremely passionate about the welfare of birds and the terrible things they see from cases of neglect make them have a very tough bottom line.
Our concern now is for your bird - we will all pitch in and support you on your journey but I advise you to to tread softly re: comments such as your one above. Make sure you understand the agenda and respect it. We all cop some tough bottom lines from the experts on this board from time to time - they mean well, I assure you.
Please keep us informed re: the progress of your bird, and good luck.
Anita

#203324 - 07/01/09 11:58 AM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: anitamarie942]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
I too have read negative comments about MyToos but opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one. I hear (through the grapevine) that people say negative things about me but I know that I can't please everybody and don't even try to explain myself anymore. And WhiteWings, I could write a book about the things I was "taught" by the "expert". My progress with Cleo over the past year has been very slow as I've had to undo many of these things like forced bathing and disipline measures that I now know are cruel. But progress has been made and I have regained her trust. Her accident is a set-back but I have patience. MyToos has saved us!

Pat

One Day At A Time
#203329 - 07/01/09 01:49 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
The U2 is currently on a seed and pellet diet and does not even want to look at a piece of corn or pea, this worries me since my birdie will definitely not be on a seed diet...I'm not sure how to convert him to regular food but i'm informed in converting pellets. Also i've heard that seeds are good in moderation so they don't drop in weight?

Several points to be made...first of all, pellets are the preferred diet for birds, not seed, although I beleive even an AV will admit that the exact requirments of a birds diet are a mystery. So you are not trying to replace pellet with table food...just supplement it...

As for the introduction of food, you must be patient, creative and move at his pace. Do not dump 10 things in a bowl at once and if he fails to immediately enjoy it assume he does not like it....try 1-2 items at a time for a couple of days in succession...everything is foriegn at first...even you! So the things you try now and he does not like today he may like in 3 months when he is more comfortable with you. For example, I tried corn out of a can for a while and Buddy would not look at it...then someone here mentioned corn on the cob and I could not beleive I had not thought of that! I boil it up and slice a piece through the cob and then half it...not only does Buddy love it but my Surrogate, Ophelia, immediatly took to it as well. They love to pick the kernals out...its fun and nutritious...then he drops it on the floor and my idiot dog eats the cob...go figure...

As for seed, when faced with a choice between seed and anything, most bird choose seed. Therefore there is no seed in Buddys cage. Period. At nite, after he eats dinner with us, as a treat he gets 2 handfuls of seed...whatever he can eat in 1 sitting he eats, and he usually does not finish it, and the balance is dumped. That is all he sees in a day. Now do not confuse seed with certain nuts, like walnuts and almonds, that have omega 3 in them and are good for them in moderation (just like humans) and they love to pull them out of the shells...fun and nutritous...Buddy gets a minimum of half a walnut and an almond a day in the shell as treats...use them to reward behaviour...

Toys, Toys and more Toys...you must learn what he likes and does not like. There is such a variety of toys avaiable for chewers, shredders, etc...educate your self to the different types and try a differnt type for a week or so...if he doesnt touch one type try another type and when you find what he likes get creative. I first started buying Buddy all these toys with wooden blocks and thought he was going to chew all of this up...that what parrots do, right? Well, after they sat mostly untouched I noticed he liked the dangling leather string type with beads and knots...turns out he loves to tie and untie knots...so know I buy all the pieces to make my own and I tie and retie the knots daily...

You must contstantly try different toys and change them up reguraly. I try to move things around and add soomething every 2 weeks...when I picked up my Surrogate she had toys hanging in the cage with 2 inches of powder down on them...obviously hadn't been touched in years...yet the owner told me "she has toys in her cage..." When he seems to stop playing with one that he liked don't throw it out; I "rebuild" them be salvaging the pieces that still have life, reconstruct them and rotate periodically...after a while you have an arsenal of toy parts and can make your own with a little creativity...constantly try new types of toys and rotate them periodically to keep his environment fresh. For example just last week I tried one of those colored wiffle balls I saw on a website...loves it...hang it on anything and its days of busy work...

In general, I would recommend googling Sam Foster and reading her articles on Too behaviour as well as the abundance of ABA information contained in these threads. Understanding Too instinct, the "why" in thier behaviour, has been enormously helpful to me understanding, and anticipating, Buddys behaviour. For example, I knew that Toos are flock animals, but what does that mean? Well, that means that he will eventually come to view you, as well as anyone else in the house, human or animal, in terms of his flock. A pearl of wisdom that I learnt here was as enlightening as it is simple; as a member of the flock, when you eat he wants to eat, so Buddy shares meal times with us...if you understand what drives them you can conform your bahaviour to the Too.

That is the mindset you must have; to conform your environment to the Too. Its not the other way around. I just had this conversation with my 22 year old son the other day when I told him he has to turn the light off in his room at night when he is not in there as it illuminates the family room where the birds sleep. " I am not going to live my life for those birds..." or something to that effect "...uh, actually, you are..." was my response.

A Too will not sit in a cage and look prety like a Budgie...sing ocassionally and be happy...read Sam Fosters articles and you will come to learn it is mostly our expectations of them as pets which doom the relationship to failure. They will not conform to what we expect of a "pet"...but that is to be expected and in fact normal so why is it wrong? It is not, and the problem is we choose to cage these magnificent wild creatures, expect them to act like a house cat and blame them when they do not...understanding behaviour and how to positively reinforce desired behaviour, is the only way and DO NOT wait until you have a problem before you read into it and gain an understanding because by then you will have made mistakes...to be forewarned is to be forearmed...

And rememeber...there are no bad birds, only bad bird owners...off my soapbox for noe smile

Last edited by GregM; 07/01/09 01:56 PM.
#203332 - 07/01/09 02:31 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: b00giebird]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Thanks for the help and if you can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

You found the right direction on your own...now just stay on the path and it will be much easier sailing....WELCOME!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#203656 - 07/06/09 09:34 PM Re: New Umbrella Too [Re: Brandy's mom]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
Mytoos is a great place to get the information you need for you and your bird. You have been given alot of help already and I suggest you take some time and read. There is a main page, mytoos.com, with a wealth of information on food and toys. There are also many existing threads that I highly recommend you read. I spent hours reading when I first joined. If you can get your bird to eat birdie bread you can put anything that is missing in the diet in the bread. Mytoos will not sugar coat what needs to be said, but you will hear exactly what you need to hear if you are willing to listen. You are in the right place!, and Welcome to Mytoos.

Peggy
(Owned by 1 budgie, and formerly owned by a BE2)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny