Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#202199 - 06/12/09 11:39 PM Biting birthmarks/moles!!!  
jomillski Offline
jomillski  Offline

Hi All-

How can I get my U2 to stop trying to bite off my birthmarks/moles???? She is not being mean I know she just wants to clean the hideous little things off of me. The problem is, is obviously it hurts like the dickens...in fact if she ever learns swear words that will be how. She is a very young bird, maybe around 2 years old I got her as a resuce in Sept. and we have adjusted together nicely. Besides her thinking she is one of the dogs, and gratefully they are wonderfully patient with this thinking process, this is the only behavior problem I need help with(cross my fingers). I have a few on my neck and face she keeps trying to bite off and I am tired of pulling my flesh out of her beak...it is really gross when she gets a small piece of one. As I have given more information then anybody needs, I could really use some advice on this one. Thank you.
Jody

#202201 - 06/12/09 11:58 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: jomillski]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
Buttercup keeps trying to "help" my husband out too. Are the moles in question on your hands, arms, neck? Does your U2 do that every time? You may have to wear clothes that cover the moles if you have too many to protect.

Peggy
(Owned by 1 budgie, and formerly owned by a BE2)
#202202 - 06/13/09 12:12 AM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: ILuvMyBE2]  
jomillski Offline
jomillski  Offline

Well I have been blessed with genes from both sides of the family that have given me a share of different types, from the little dangly ones to freckles (I know it sounds like I am hideously covered but I promise it is just a nice variety)...if I could do it living in New Mexico I would wear a shurpa when handling her, but it is really too hot here for it. I know it might sound short, but I have tried wearing different things, we just do so much together I need a different option than that. She doesn't do it everytime I hold her either I really haven't figured out what keeps her from biting one on my arm one day but not another. It seems all of them anywhere she can reach are fair game when she is in the mood...I have had bandaides in place I didn't even know I had them but her little eyes were quick to find the little buggers and that beak as you all know can be nasty. She does really good with me saying "NO" but sometimes she just squeaks back at me and trys harder...if it didn't hurt so bad it would really be funny how she goes at them and how she talks back.

#202207 - 06/13/09 02:47 AM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: jomillski]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Anytime I forget about a small scab on my hand or arm Buddy finds it! Man, that smarts...

#202208 - 06/13/09 02:49 AM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: jomillski]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
I figured you had to have tried the obvious and I did not know where you lived. I am in Georgia and I can't cover up here either. She may now think that it is a game that is meant to be enjoyed. You may need to try a new tactic. Try having something ready to distract her and do not react to the nipping...maybe a favorite toy or chewable. Either that or put her quietly back on her cage every time and walk away without reacting. You may need the experts on ABA to help you with this one.

Peggy
#202214 - 06/13/09 03:56 AM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: ILuvMyBE2]  
jomillski Offline
jomillski  Offline

I will try the distraction method a little harder. Putting her up has not had any effect yet and I am trying my darndest not to react...man is that hard when you are gushing from an open wound. I wondered if there might be some nontoxic solution I could rub on myself that would make it really nasty to lick. I just don't want to traumatize her in some way that makes her think I am nasty...just nasty to eat. Like I said before I would find all of this really funny if it didn't hurt. I also apologize if anything I have written sounds rude or mean, I have a tendency to use more sarcasim then is often required. I really do appreciate everything, it is helping me think about all I have tried and what I know I need to work on more...I just really do count my blessings that the worst thing she does is groom me too much!

#202226 - 06/13/09 10:10 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: jomillski]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
Buttercup does not do that very often so I am really limited here. And you are not saying anything offensive. I really would focus on her body language when she spots the moles and try to distract the behavior. When Buttercup first came to me he would chew on my clothes all the time...I know, not nearly as painful as moles, but I stayed on him with distractions until he quit trying...at least most of the time. I would hand him foot toys of all types. I kept them handy everywhere and encouraged their use instead of my clothes. If his beak ever gets close to my clothes, there is a hole in seconds. If he continues trying, I just put him back on his cage.

Peggy
#202242 - 06/14/09 03:38 AM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: ILuvMyBE2]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
They love to groom us! We are part of their "flock"!!

Gail
#202258 - 06/14/09 11:06 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Bird Mom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
lol Chewy doesn't get the chance to pick my scabs, I do it before he does lol

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#202309 - 06/16/09 04:46 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Chewy]  
Ender20852 Offline
Ender20852  Offline

Maryland
My Chelsea will do the same thing. What i have found works the best so far is just attention.

Chelsea has two moods that seem to trigger this grooming issue.

1)Boredom - if I am not providing enough entertainment then Chelsea will look for it and that means any spots it can examine gets removed. This is the hardest for me to combat as I am usually hanging with the bird doing stuff and do not notice in time when boredom has struck.

2)Preening - When I help Chelsea, Chelsea tries to help me - during these times I just cover the spot with my hand and say no thank you. Takes several times of doing this but after a bit Chelsea will leave that spot alone. In my case once Chelsea figures out I do not wish the help on that particular spot Chelsea will leave alone from then on and has never bothered it again. (Of course it always finds another freckle or mole or scab to hassle)

I find at least with Chelsea, it is meant as help and affection not as harm. Quite, calm reactions with a nice no thank you repeatedly seems to work well.

I have even had Chelsea say "no thank you" back at me when I am helping with pinfeathers too roughly. Will gently grab finger with beak and then say the phrase. It is a really cute sight to see.

#204469 - 07/19/09 09:43 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Ender20852]  
crazychick123 Offline
crazychick123  Offline

tammy my u2 does the same thing,ive got a wee scab on my arm and the minute tammy spots it his eyes light up ,ive tried everything to distract but nothing works,another habit he has is hair plucking ,he trys plucking the fine hairs on my arms ,its pretty painful god knows how he can see these hairs cuz they are very very fine,its a nippy ,stinging feeling

#204470 - 07/19/09 11:21 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: crazychick123]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
I sometimes wonder if they are trying to turn us into their idea
of perfection

Pat

One Day At A Time
#204471 - 07/19/09 11:33 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Our RB2s go for the little hairs also. Hannah has gone for my husband's mustache and nose hairs as well as moles and warts. If I have a cut or wound, then I cover it up with a long shirt, pants, etc.

I also distract them by getting them to do something else. Of course never give food at this point or they will think it is a reward, then heaven help us.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#204496 - 07/20/09 04:59 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: RB2sMom]  
Jackielu Offline
Jackielu  Offline

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Paco also likes to preen me and other people. At first I covered the source, but that didn't change the behavior.

Paco goes to a nursing home twice a week, church and schools. He also goes almost everywhere I go. In the nursing home, he would try to preen moles, liver spots, sores, freckles, and even arthritic hands. He hurt a few patients and so I HAD to teach him not to preen.

First, I tought him what the word "no" means. If he did something he wasn't supposed to I covered his head with a dark wash cloth for a few seconds and said "no."

Then when he started preening something he wasn't supposed to, I would cover it and say "no preening." If he tried again I would take him away form that person. that was hard because there was sooooo much love in his preening and he looked so hurt when I did't allow it.

He soon learned that if I said no preening and he didn't stop, he would have to leave. Now, when I say it he usually stops.

That happend at my family reunion this weekend. A cousin was holding him and he had a sore on his arm. Paco leaned down to "fix" it and I said "no preening." My cousin had no idea what I was talking about, but Paco did and he looked up at me and stopped preening. then I had to explain it to the cousin and all the others sitting around.

It's harder to get him to not preen me than other people. Because, if I have a sore he can reach, it really really bugs him and he can reach it very fast. He knows he'll only get one shot so it's a powerful one. If he preens me I say no and put him somewhere away from me. He always comes back. If he continues to preen after a couple of times, I cover his head and say "no preening, That hurts mommy" in a meaner voice, then he'll stop.

Good luck teaching you U2, It's a wonderful adventure.

#204869 - 07/25/09 04:25 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Jackielu]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
OK, so I have quite a few pin sized scabs on my arms from Harlie's talons! Brandy was just sitting on my arm and had to take care of them. Seeing how it's blood and protein, what's your take on them ingesting these particulates? We are worried about their nutrition that we are even happy when they mouth a bit of vegetable thinking they get some infinitesimal value from it. So, what about fleshy bits? In my healing process there are also pharmaceutical components I know she shouldn't have.
Maybe, much a do about nothing, but, I was wondering.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#204870 - 07/25/09 05:31 PM Re: Biting birthmarks/moles!!! [Re: Brandy's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I seriously doubt that little (if any) is actually ingested.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny