Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201562 - 05/30/09 11:50 PM Oogie's vet visit  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
I just wanted to give an update on how Oogie has been doing. We took her to the vet Tuesday and were very excited to hear that her infection is pretty much gone. We just need to finish up her antibiotics and continue the probiotic for 2 more weeks. Because he said it healed so quickly, he didn't see a reason to test for PBFD...yay!!!!
I have a lot of issues getting her to take her probiotic. She seems to recognize it somehow in everything I have given her (rice, oatmeal, smearing it between 2 Harrison's power treats etc.) everything works once and the next time around, she totally recognizes it and won't touch it again...sigh.
The vet said that from now on for the next couple of years, I have to go and pick up some sort of powerful antihistamine (hydroxy-something) everytime she begins to show signs of a molt. Does anyone else have any experience with this? He said after a couple of years, she should get out of the habit of picking at her feathers and we won't have to do that anymore, but I have my doubts. Unfortunately, her feathers won't come back until the fall molt, so I guess I have a little baldy until then, lol. At least the picking has stopped for now! ($500 later)

#202266 - 06/15/09 04:00 AM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: OogieBird]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
I have to go and pick up some sort of powerful antihistamine (hydroxy-something) everytime she begins to show signs of a molt.

Can you elaborate more on this? Can you get the name of the antihistamine? I have never heard of this protocol and it is interesting. smile

#202270 - 06/15/09 11:28 AM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'ld be interested in knowing about this also. Cassie is going through a very long and difficult molt right now. She's been on metacam and neurontin for a few weeks now. She goes back to the vet on Tue and I would like to discuss alternatives for her.
Thanks Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#202965 - 06/26/09 07:51 PM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: BE2Cassie]  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
Sorry Charlie and Nancy! Things have been crazy around here and I haven't checked the forum in a while. I just called my vet to figure out exactly what drug it was and it's called Hydroxyzine. I just did a quick search for it and apparently it works as a mild tranquilizer as well. I really hope that taking this proactive approach next time will save me and Oogie some grief in the future...and maybe other birds as well! Best of luck to Cassie!
Is it sometimes normal to go through another smaller molt between the major 2? Oogie seems to be getting quite a few pin feathers and seems to be dropping several a day (both down and regular) some of the feathers are from her face, so I know they aren't being plucked. It's just weird because she has already been through her spring molt???

#202967 - 06/26/09 07:57 PM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: OogieBird]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
There is a probiotic that I use and it is a big hit and I have had no troubles with them not digging right in.It is a powder that must be stored in the fridge but it is tasteless and odorless and sprinkles onto anything well and kind of disapears in the food.

It is called Avi Culture and if you google it you will see the reviews it has. I think at some time I may have even posted it on the board here. There is allot of Breeders links in it so I can't post the actual link here but it is worth looking for.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#202970 - 06/26/09 08:25 PM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: Janny]  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jan. We are through with our round of probiotics, but I will look into it for future reference as I am sure she will be on it again some time in the future. The kind our vet gave us was a green gel that she was supposed to not even notice, yeah right! lol. A powder seems like it would be much easier to hide.

#202971 - 06/26/09 08:37 PM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: OogieBird]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I offer the probiotic regularly here. I give it about 3 times a week as regular diet and it just keep the digestive system running smoothly. You can talk with your vet about this as it is a good idea to do.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#202978 - 06/26/09 08:57 PM Re: Oogie's vet visit [Re: Janny]  
OogieBird Offline
OogieBird  Offline

Gainesville, Fl
Thanks, I will bring it up the next time I talk to him.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny