Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199704 - 04/27/09 09:06 PM My little angel layed an egg.  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
I woke up this morning to an egg on the bottom of the white chicken's cage. Dang.

The little white chicken has been acting a bit 'strange' for the past week or so. She has been super clingy (even more so than usual). On top of that, her poo has been a different consistency than normal, though just as frequent. Her appetite seemed lower than normal, but she was still eating. I was on the verge of taking her to the vet already, but I guess the reasons for her changes have revealed themselves...

I spent this morning googling egg laying and talking to the breeder where I purchased the chicken as a little chick nearly 7 years ago (she just turned 7 and I have had her since she was only 6 months). I read the conflicting viewpoints on whether or not to remove the egg, but I really had no choice...the egg (despite seeming to be perfectly formed with a nice, hard shell) had a crack from the fall off the perch. The breeder also recommended that the egg be removed. The white chicken didnt seem to mind at all, merrily going about her business as if nothing happened. She actually seemed in good spirits, just as she did a couple weeks ago before her abnormal behavior began. She ate a little square of mozzarella(one of her favorites, and good for her calcium levels) as well as a good bit of her normal food.

Both my wife and I had to go into work, so the little chicken is home alone at the moment. I can't help worrying about her, even if I think she is going to be perfectly fine. I will see her in a couple hours and will forgo the vet visit for the time being if she is still in good spirits. I am also planning a giving her a little more mozzarella and cooking her some scrambled eggs (another favorite).

I have also learned that I have been doing things wrong. The little chicken LOVES to be scratched all over, especially on her back, but this may have been partially responsible for her little egg laying incident. I can go without scratching under wings and focus on her fluffy top instead, but stopping the cuddling under the blankets is going to be tough. Her morning ritual is to come out and go to sleep under the blanket with me for a half hour or so before helping me and my wife get ready for work. She will watch TV under the blankets with my wife or me. I know I have to stop this little habit of hers, but for how long? Forever?

I am hopeful that she doesn't feel the need to lay another egg (especially since she didn't seem to care at all for the first egg), but I suppose I have to be ready for the possibility. This forums and many of your past topics have been a great help this morning. I feel a lot better about the whole situation (though I am still pretty worried about my little angel). Is there any other advice you can give to make this process easier?

Thanks.

White Chicken:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/Heero04/People%20and%20Bird/P2030038.jpg

I dont know whether the chicken wing is good for her, but it is a rarity that she is allowed to eat one. She is allowed to eat white meat whenever we have it for dinner, though she doesnt seem to like it as much.

Last edited by EchosMom; 04/27/09 09:44 PM. Reason: links to pictures only please
#199707 - 04/27/09 10:30 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: Chloe413]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome back. Egg laying is tough. The scrambled eggs are a good idea along with the shell crushed up in them. This will help boost her calcium. You may want to give the vet a call and let them know she is laying. They may or may not want to see her depending on what her last calcium level was and when she had her last well bird exam with blood work.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#199709 - 04/27/09 11:57 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
Well, she ate all her food from this morning. She also just chowed down on a piece of cheese and an egg. Her poo is still pretty off though. It is runny and there is some clear 'goo' coming out as well. She seems to be in a good mood, but she is trying to dig a little hole in the blanket on the couch...

Time to call the vet just to be sure.

Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
Welcome back.

Thanks. I should definitely come around more often. I was reading quite a few topics today and there is some great info and people.

Last edited by Chloe413; 04/27/09 11:58 PM.
#199711 - 04/28/09 12:06 AM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: Chloe413]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Chloe413
Time to call the vet just to be sure.

Do let us know was s/he has to say, please? Best wishes to both of you.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#199855 - 04/29/09 04:49 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: EchosMom]  
Chloe413 Offline
Chloe413  Offline

Cockeysville, MD
The chicken got a clean bill of health from the Doc. There are no more eggs in there for the time being, and she is a perfectly healthy little chicken.

What a relief. smile

She seems back to acting her normal self. Her poo is back to its normal consistency and regularity, and her energy and play is back to normal (Oh joy wink ).

Last edited by Chloe413; 04/29/09 04:51 PM.
#199856 - 04/29/09 04:53 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: Chloe413]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I am extremely relieved for you! Having a U2 hen who has laid an egg every year since the age of 7 (she's 10.5 now),I know all about the worries over something that would be a natural occurance if they were in the wild. Good job getting her in to the AV, and I'm so glad for the white chicken's clean bill of health grin!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#199858 - 04/29/09 05:04 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks for the update - I'm glad all is well!!

Having had an eggbound cockatoo a couple of years ago, I share in Annette's relief.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#199874 - 04/29/09 09:06 PM Re: My little angel layed an egg. [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Great to hear the good news, now don't disappear!!
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny