Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#199117 - 04/20/09 09:10 PM Was I Wrong For Saying This?????  
bauercrew Offline
bauercrew  Offline

MiddleRiver .Maryland
I have had so many family members and some friends come over to see sysco you would swear they never seen a bird,L.O.L,but anyway...they all seem to have the same view (he so pretty,and he looks so cuddly,sweet ECT.),so i let them ramble on for a few then i drop the hammer.I show them the BATTLE scars i have earned in just three weeks tell them he has drawn blood every time and almost broke my pointer finger,and that these guys are a lot of work emotionally and physically to both the bird and owner,and i tell them there are 2 sides to these pretty birds,theres the pet store and breaders who praise these birds as being the perfect bird .and then you have THIS web sight that doesnt sugar coat anything,then i get the MILLION dollar question then why do you keep him,then i tell them that we cant send our kids back when they have bad days.I feel a little bad about saying that to the people that are close to me because i feel like a hypocrite cause im doing the opposite of what im telling them,needless to say i dont think any of them will be getting a cockatoo anytime soon.

#199124 - 04/20/09 09:37 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: bauercrew]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
There is never anything wrong about telling the truth. wink

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#199134 - 04/20/09 10:31 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: EchosMom]  
Walter Offline
Walter  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
i get the MILLION dollar question then why do you keep him,

But what's the alternative? Getting rid of a cockatoo for acting like a cockatoo isn't fair to the birds. Yes, we get occasional bites. Maybe not so occasional, depending on the bird's past life experience.

For me, it helps to reflect on what we, as humans have done. We are content to live in our two dimensional world and assume that's ok for birds. They were designed to live in three dimensions, having the freedom to soar in the skies. We put them in cages, away from the sky, forests, and their own kind and expect them to like it. In all honesty, if someone took all that from me I'd probably do much worse than deliver the occasional bite.

All we can do is try to give them the best life we can. That includes healthy food, plenty of time out of the cage, plenty of toys that interest them, and a ton of love. Even with that, we can never fully replace what they've lost.

Yes, there are times when I feel like a hypocrite too.

#199140 - 04/20/09 11:19 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Walter]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
Yes, what is the alternative? Even though it still amazes me that such a bond of trust and love has formed between Bogie and me,and I really don't know what I would do w/o him, if by some magic he could be successfully introduced to his species' natural habitat, to fly free,I would let him go,albeit with plenty of tears, in a second. That just isn't going to happen. So while I think many of us feel hypocritical to some degree on this topic, how we conduct ourselves in relation to other people, and more importantly, to the birds themselves, is the true test. As EM stated, telling the truth is never wrong. It's up to people like us to educate others to adopt and rescue, rather than breed more. It's up to us to show the two or more sides to being these birds' companions. It's up to us to explain their great need for mental stimulation, and physical companionship, and the price in time and effort that entails. It's up to us to help and support all those caretakers that may be stressed by these demands, to emphasize the trauma of rehoming, and if all else fails, offer good counsel to get a bird through that trauma. Finally, as Walter already stated, it is up to us to give them the best life we can. Its up to us to invest our time, money, and emotions to see that they have all the medical attention they need, the best and most varied and nutritious foods they'll eat, all the toys they'll need to enrich their environment, and probably most important of all, the love and dedication we demonstrate to them so they will feel free to trust in us, and return our affections with that uncomplicated, forthright devotion so inate to their beings. I guess that's all we can do,and it's up to us.

John

#199142 - 04/20/09 11:48 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Bogie's Buddy]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I think every too that has a home is an advertisement why they should not be pets. Anyone that comes to my house wonders why I keep Baby Girl too. I think only hard-core animals lovers could have what it takes to make a decent home. To be honest I have have such a bond with Baby Girl that I couldn't send her packing unless we just couldn't take decent care of her anymore. I'm not a quiter.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#199163 - 04/21/09 01:20 AM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Donnalee]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Ditto, John and Donnalee! I've long ago ignored remarks from friends and family about why I put up with the occasional bite, the noise, the worry, the incovenience, the expense, etc.... I've made the commitment to Isabella and I love her dearly! End of discussion!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#199195 - 04/21/09 05:05 AM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: MissYumYum]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Couldn`t have said it better myself you guys.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#199235 - 04/21/09 06:08 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Ladyhutch]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Honesty is so important when explaining anything regarding Toos, it is the lies that have kept the breeding industry thriving. Toos were never meant to be pets, and those of us who do love them so ... understand this fully. Sugar coating the facts will only increase the desire for others to have one. These angels are not pets. They are not easy to maintain. They are very costly. So it would sound totally insane for anyone to want one. Those who have had a Too touch our hearts, know that it is our mission to get the truth out there.

You said exactly the right thing!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#199386 - 04/23/09 04:03 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
birdladyofbarton Offline
birdladyofbarton  Offline

winston salem nc
I believe it is a "calling" some rescue birds,dogs,cats,kids what ever,but the folks who stay in it do it because they feel a it's what they "need" to do whether it makes sense to anyone else or not,I can't imagine a life w/o my dogs or flock

#199391 - 04/23/09 05:28 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: birdladyofbarton]  
tribrats Offline
tribrats  Offline

I see nothing wrong with telling the truth.

One of my best friends says how much she loves the pics of my babies (she lives over 600 miles away so we've never met in person)and would love a big bird. I keep telling her to imagine having a perpetual hyperactive 2 year old with scissors while having a tantrum running around.

She's content to be an Aunt to mine wink

#199409 - 04/23/09 08:25 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Walter]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Walter
[quote] But what's the alternative?

The alternative, as so many so called animal lovers do, is to get rid of a "problem" pet that does not fit into their lifestyle...

I have a yorkie that is a real pain in the you know what and my father in law, rest his soul, used to joke about letting him "take care of the dog" by mentioning "Perth Amboy", an industrial area in New Jersey...a place you disgard unwanted pets...

So, in reality you are doing a service by telling it like it is...the majority of people, even so called animal lovers, are not about to arrange their life around their pets...

"And the truth shall set you free.." Amen, to that...

#199420 - 04/23/09 10:29 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Some of my family has made comments to me about having "cockatoo stew" but most know well enough now that they are my family and as I respect their children they must respect mine. They too are in love with my birds but they know the commitment it is by example.They see what it is like to care for these birds and not many of my family has a life style where they could. They really love Bailey the one M2 and think he is the perfect bird. HAHA! I have to remind them that they don't see the real bailey because he puts on an Angel act in front of new people.lol.

The friends over time that didn't approve of my flock have faded over time. They still call and I still call them but activities together have faded. Not by my choice but they know what my birds mean to me and they respect that and I go my way they go theirs. I don't take rude comments very well from people and honestly I could not imagine telling a friend "OMG! why do you keep your child it slapped you" just for example. So I ask them not to make comments like that to me in return. I deal with things right to the point so there are no suprizes. I make acceptions to a few friends that want to come and visit and are very afraid of the birds.I will put them in their cages for that amount of time they come over. Although one friend is now allowing my cockatiel to come and visit while she is here and is doing great with her. This is a big step from someone who would have anxiety from jsut hearing wings flapping. So I guess being honest and open is the best way to be. Telling people that I made this commitement and I am going to see it through is a big thing. That way if they choose to adopt a bird in the future...they will know it is their commitment.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#199578 - 04/25/09 01:30 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Janny]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Janny
Some of my family has made comments to me about having "cockatoo stew" but most know well enough now that they are my family and as I respect their children they must respect mine.

Tastes like chicken....A JOKE! Just kidding, of course...

#199580 - 04/25/09 04:30 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
LMAO Greg!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#199585 - 04/25/09 06:18 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Did you eat kid stew or cockatoo stew???HAHAHAHAHA wink

Jan

#199591 - 04/25/09 07:49 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Janny]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Jan laugh laugh laugh

Donna
Free as a bird???
#199592 - 04/25/09 07:51 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Donnalee]  
Walter Offline
Walter  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ok, I think I'll seriously consider vegetarianism now.

#199608 - 04/25/09 10:02 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Walter]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Sorry Walter!!! blush

Jan

#200398 - 05/06/09 08:42 PM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: Janny]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
I say it all the time!

I used to volunteer as a rehabber in the past and know that imprinting is considered a psychological "issue" in wildlife. So much so, in fact, that a rehabber cannot release an imprinted bird back into the wild.

I don't see anything wrong with caring for the parrots (Toos, Macaws, greys, etc.) who are in those same situations. The saddest part is that people willingly do that to the birds in the first place. I consider my job to be fixing other people's mistakes.

I also bring up the child reference all the time...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#200595 - 05/09/09 05:58 AM Re: Was I Wrong For Saying This????? [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Rosalina Offline
Rosalina  Offline

Ohio
Hi All! I have read a lot on this site, though I haven't contributed very much since I first joined. I am 63. I was given my first 2 2 years ago, by a friend I met rehabbing wildlife. Anyone who is very sensitive to animals will know what I mean by: he was one of the special ones. We met and we clicked, but never did I ever think he would be mine. He was so smart and intelligent, he was compassionate. If I cried, he came to me climbed up and started cuddling. We danced together, we sang together, we gardened together. Now that could be a traffic stopper at times! 2's HAVE to be as close to what you are doing as they can get, so if I bent over the flower beds, he climbed up on my head, grabbed two talons full of hair and hung upside down to be as close as he could get to being in the action. My hair is long and when I stood up , I would just flip him and my hair back and he would be back on my shoulder! Almost a year to the day she gave him to me, and a huge amount of vet bills I lost him to PDD.I lost my very best friend. In july last year I got another U2, "for a 2week trial period". The woman wanted me to call her the next day and let me know how he did his first night, and then she disappeard off the radar completely. I wanted to make sure he was the right bird for us. Well, I guess he is! My husband does not like him at all, and since they are such ear breakers, I try to keep him quiet one way or the other. His dislike of the bird has drawn Edvis and me closer every day, and he is staying right where he is. He has just recently started coming out of his shell and is getting used to us, finally. Hubby may have to get ear plugs cause I am keeping my friend and companion.

Rosalina
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny