Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 49 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#194811 - 03/04/09 02:24 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: anitamarie942]  
Dutchess Offline
Dutchess  Offline

KY
Be sure to keep us updated on puffin's progress. I know it's hard on you, but you are strong. Prayers are answered. Pebble

#194814 - 03/04/09 02:41 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Dutchess]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I hope the two of you enjoy your time together today.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#194830 - 03/04/09 03:23 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: EchosMom]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
Anita-First,you and Puffin continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Your situation certainly touches all our hearts.
Second, do continue to talk, cuddle and interact w/Puffin. No one knows what injured people and animals perceive. After leaving the Marine Corps, I held dual postions as a full time law enforcement officer(30 years), and a part time scuba instructor(20 yrs). In the former two positons, I would try to keep injured people in the present, and to let them know someone was with them,and cared about them. In the latter position,I always taught my rescue class students to keep talking to any accident victim,to keep them aware as possible that they were still in this world,and were being helped. I truly believe that animals and birds will also benifit from this approach, and will react positively. In April, 2007,I was on the other end of this spectrum. While on a dive trip off the coast of Borneo, I suffered a surprise,and near fatal heart attack. A day later, while awaiting air vac to Singapore, I flatlined 9 times, and was given up twice for dead. One nurse kept shouting my name, and I used her voice to guide me back to the living. I am sure on some level,your voice brings comfort and companionship to Puffin.
Finally, I will add my strongest admonition to not beat yourself up over this. What is, is, and this was a tragic accident. In this world,time travels in but one direction. Please take comfort in providing Puffin with all that you can do for him now. I'm sorry if I've run on, but your situation has touched me deeply. I hope all goes well for you both.
As an afterthought,if it makes you feel any better, this old marine would love to have five minutes alone with any jerk who gives someone in your position the "it's only a bird" thing.
John

#194832 - 03/04/09 04:07 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: anitamarie942]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I too believe that Puffin will be alright. Birds have 13-25 cervical (neck) vertebrae, versus seven in most mammals, depending on species but a parrot skeleton should resemble this DIAGRAM. Many vets will tell you that is is very difficult for a bird to "break its neck". That leaves things as have been discussed, concussion, swelling, etc.

As John stated, never give up on recognition and caring. I have heard enough stories like John's to believe in everything he has said. Sometimes these things take time to resolve and I really pray it will in Puffin's case!

Hey John, Borneo is a hell of a place to have a serious heart attack! Glad you are still with us, Bud! smile

#194836 - 03/04/09 04:23 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Great advice John - great post!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#194839 - 03/04/09 04:47 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: EchosMom]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
Thank you both.

#194840 - 03/04/09 04:56 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Bogie's Buddy]  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
Anita-First and foremost my prayers go out to Puffin...

Last summer I found a sparrow in my driveway, head tilted, eyes rolling back, spinning on its back in circles...My daughter is a total animal lover and rescues everything from bugs to mammals! She demanded we help this bird when I assumed it did not have a chance. There is a place called Willowbrook Wildlife Haven that takes in hurt wildlife. My daughter already had the sparrow in a box with a towel covering it and was in the truck waiting before I could even turn around.
When we arrived at the haven the woman instantly said it had brain damage, must of flew into something . Depending on what side of the brain is damaged will reflect which way the head leans and what way the bird spins. There was some injection she needed to give it to reduce the swelling and she also clearly stated she will need to hand feed it for a couple months in order for it to survive. I have no clue how much of this is true but she never hesitated informing us of what she needed to do in order to help the bird.

What I ams aying is DO NOT GIVE UP! Maybe call a wildlife rescue for their opinion as well? I am sure your vet is great and I do not doubt them, but 2nd opinions never hurt either.

Your story was just too familiar to ours with a wild bird..

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by TLL & Sam; 03/04/09 04:57 AM.

Tammy

#194841 - 03/04/09 05:11 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: TLL & Sam]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Put your hands on Puff and let him feel how much you love him. Speak to him encouragingly and ask him to try. Tell him you're there with him and strong for him and that nothing can break the bond that you have. He will feel it. He will respond to it. He will try for you. He loves you as much as you love him and he won't want to let you down. Don't give up on him. Not yet. There is tremendous power in prayer and in love. It's coming your way , Anita.. stay strong.
Cheryl

#194848 - 03/04/09 07:10 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Winter's mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Anita - I can't add anything new to the wonderful posts that have come before mine! I just want you to know that prayers and good wishes for Puffin's recovery are on their way from me! Stay strong and let him feel your love!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#194850 - 03/04/09 09:51 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: MissYumYum]  
pharmher Offline
pharmher  Offline

Washington
Anita - I am so sorry that you both are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are also with you. Please don't give up hope yet - your loving voice and presence will give Puffin his best chances of recovery. Would your vet be willing to obtain other vet input/opinions? If you don't feel like you're getting all the answers you need before making any decisions, don't feel guilty in asking for another opinion.

We are owned by Keesha (U2), Missy (M2), & Chloe (African Red-Bellied)
#194934 - 03/05/09 03:13 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: pharmher]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

I am just overwhelmed by all of your kind words and support. I really cant put into words how much your encouragement is propping me up at the moment.
John - Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, I take much heart from your experience and it is truly a great comfort to me.
As I said, I took the day off yesterday and spent until 6.30pm with him. Remember when I said that Puffin ate a few sunflower seeds from me when I put them up really close to his beak on my previous visit? Well great news upon arriving yesterday...the vet had seen Puffin making his way to the seed dish and eating by himself early that morning!! He must have got a taste of them from me and decided he wanted some more..what a clever boy!! This also means of course that he has retained some vision as he was able to find the seed dish, thanks god!
When I went into his room and called his name he tilted his head and his 'good' eye in my direction which also means he has some hearing left. Of course I rushed to him and picked him up and held him really close telling him what a good boy he was. I really think he knew who I was which was wonderful.
I spoke to my AV, Tim, for about half an hour and went through every possible scenario and poosible diagnois/treatment. The short version is that we can only go day to day, its really impossible to say what symptoms are permanent at this stage. It is evident that he has suffered quite a serious brain trauma which has caused partial paralysis to the right side of his body (he hit his head on the left side). So, on his right side he has limited claw control/gripping ability, his wing is dropped a bit and it appears he has lost the sight of his right eye, possibly also hearing. His head is also tilted slighty to the right,but after observing him all day I realised this is more pronounced because he actually tilts his all the way over when he is trying to look out of his left eye.
On his left side, he has not retained full vision at this stage, but his grip is strong and his wing is in normal position although he is dropping it slightly to accomadate his right one I think.
I asked about steroids - Tim said they were highly toxic for birds and only used very short term in the most extreme cases and Puffin is not a candidate for them, it would be far too risky. I enquired about a radiograph and MRI but again, Tim said they would evidence what we already know - that he has sustained brain damage and they will highlight the specific areas of the brain, this will not tell us what parts of the body they will affect so not much point at this time. Basically, its just a matter of waiting now and hoping that he continues to improve, bit by bit. Tim is quite positive at this stage and was encouraging me to spend as much time with him as possible. I was also assured that Puffin is showing no signs at all that he is any pain or discomfort which of course is my greatest concern.
Plan of attack from now: He has been taken off tube feeding and is being encouraged as much as possible to fend for himself, keeping a close eye on his weight of course. I bought up the possibility of spoon-feeding him (I bought along his formula and spoon) but Tims advice was to hold off with this for the time being as we need to see to what extent he is self sufficient and encourage this as far as possible - when Tim is satisfyed that he can feed himself, he can come home.
I basically spent the entire day holding him and letting him sleep on me, singing and talking to him (we went through the entire CD of the sound of music, his favourite)and encouraging him to feed. Every time he woke up I bought his seed dish to my lap and rattled the seeds around and his little eyes perked up and he started pecking for them in the dish. It was clear to me that he has very poor vision in his 'good' eye at this stage because he was searching for the sunflower seeds with his beak not his eye...kind of pecking like a chook and sifting through feeling for the shape of them. Each time he found one I told him what a good boy he was and really praised him. This was really hard to watch without helping him, it took sometimes 30 seconds for him to find one and it clearly exhausted him after a few minutes. When he got really tired I helped him and handfed him some to make sure he was full and then he went to sleep again.
He made the first sounds that I have heard him make since the accident - two little 'cheep cheeps' when I was handfeeding him, this was a pretty special moment.
After one of his feeds he started to preen himself a tiny bit, under his wings. He managed well under his left wing but had trouble lifting the right so I helped him have a scratch under there - I take this as another great sign.
Im going in to see him at lunchtime and after work - will be with him for about 4 hours today, just want to make sure he knows Im there and make sure he's getting enough food. I soaked some pulses, lupins etc overnight to take into him to try and up his nutrition, also some fresh corn kernals which he loves.
He is a little fighter, Im so proud of him for trying so hard and am encouraged by the signs he showed me yesterday. One step at a time, I dont care how small they are, just that he continues to improve.
Once again, I want to thank you all so much for coming on this journey with me - it is just so comforting to know that people all over the world are gunning for him. I made sure I told him about you guys yesterday and I reckon he feels pretty special. I'll make sure I keep you posted.
Anita

#194936 - 03/05/09 03:37 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: anitamarie942]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Anita what a wonderful update, it looks as though Puffin is a fighter and with your help will and is overcoming his injury. I'll continue to send my thoughts and prayers for his recovery.
Remember to take care of yourself during this time, you won't be able to help him if you get run down and ill. Best of luck to you both.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#194937 - 03/05/09 03:42 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: BE2Cassie]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
Anita i'm glad to hear your visit with Puffing went so well. and there will be many more. keep up the good work he will be home soon. love and hugs
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#194938 - 03/05/09 04:46 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: tristian]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
I'm optomistic! Great progress! (((hugs)))!!

Gail
#194939 - 03/05/09 05:03 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Bird Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am glad to hear things are progressing. Keeping good thoughts your way for Puffin.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#194942 - 03/05/09 06:11 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: Janny]  
pharmher Offline
pharmher  Offline

Washington
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your progress in such detail - I'm so glad for you both. It is very encouraging that he is showing signs of improvement, and I'm sure a huge part of that is because of all the time you spent with him. Please keep us updated whenever you can.

We are owned by Keesha (U2), Missy (M2), & Chloe (African Red-Bellied)
#194943 - 03/05/09 06:49 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: pharmher]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
This is such heartwarming news, Anita! You've got quite a fighter there! Way to go, Puffin!! As others have said, it is really important for Puffin to feel your love and support. I have every confidence he will be able to go home with you soon!

Prayers are still coming your way!

Take care,
Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#194945 - 03/05/09 09:57 AM Re: Prayers please [Re: MissYumYum]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

This is wonderful news, Puffin is a real fighter and you are a great mom. My prayers will be with you guys.

#194973 - 03/05/09 05:40 PM Re: Prayers please [Re: bellesmom]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
One day at a time, one small step after another; kudos to both of you. Continued thoughts and prayers coming your way.

John

#194982 - 03/05/09 07:47 PM Re: Prayers please [Re: Bogie's Buddy]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
I'm so glad that theres improvement. smile Keep talking, holding, praying, spending every second you can there and never give up hope. I know we won't!

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny