Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 46 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#193890 - 02/24/09 03:07 AM For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
We have a toy, white schnauzer - she weighs about 7-8 lbs. The other day she snuck out the front patio door and I heard her yapping. I went outside and she was in front of the next door neighbors house, so I called to her. She stopped, turned around and looked at me for a second, so I called her again, and just at the instant she took off towards me the biggest hawk I've ever seen swooped down out of no where, and JUST MISSED her. If she hadn't taken off the moment she did, he would have grabbed her. Now whether he would have been capable of carrying that many lbs, and for how long I don't know.

But he surely could have grabbed a hold of even the biggest of the cockatoos.

It scared me to death and honestly as the events unfolded I could not believe my eyes!!! It all happened in a split second, but it felt like slow motion.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#193898 - 02/24/09 03:25 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow your pup was lucky!! I've seen Red Tailed hawks take on ground hogs and win. They don't carry them off but are able to kill and eat them. A full grown ground hog in this area must weigh in at close to 8-10 lbs and a full grown red tail at a measley 2 lbs. The idea of bringing any of my birds outside without the safety of a cage or carrier is beyond me. I know that I would loose one of them in the blink of an eye.
Birds of prey are amazing in their ability to catch a bird in mid flight. It's not something to take lightly and think that you can move faster than the hawk or owl and protect your bird. While your still processing what has just happened chances are your bird is gone in the talons of the other. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#193902 - 02/24/09 03:39 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
It was a Red Tailed Nancy, that much I know because seeing them around here is practically a daily occurrence. I figured Frosti (our dog) would have lost the battle one way or the other. I still can't believe how close that hawk came. If she hadn't ran my way at that precise moment, it would have been too late. He only missed her by a few inches.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#193908 - 02/24/09 04:15 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Hubby says he has seen hawks pick up Jack Rabbits and take off with them. eek

Donna
Free as a bird???
#193916 - 02/24/09 04:48 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: Donnalee]  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama
We live just 4 blocks from the river so there are lots of hawks around,hubby saw a bald eagle the other day and couldn't believe the size of the wingspan.I have seen a hawk after a jackrabbit and he could fly a few feet and then have to land but he never let go of the rabit.I'm sure that was dinner that day.Somebody,I think Charlie,had a video of an eagle catching a small deer.It was shocking to see.It may be on youtube
When my Silky Terrier was alive I wouldn't allow him outside by himself.I knew a hawk would have no trouble with him.

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
#193922 - 02/24/09 05:24 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: vondooly]  
TLL & Sam Offline
TLL & Sam  Offline

Illinois, USA
We have 1 acre for a yard out back, we also have 2 dogs..A Male German Shephard and a female Great Dane. Sorry to say, due to instinct, our SHephard is the hunting dog..He does NOT allow anythign to cross his yard. In the past 6 months he has eliminated skunks, opossums, groundhogs and raccoons..
He catches them, I assume snaps their neck and leaves them. I do not encourage this, but when he goes out, he knows where these critters are and goes into hunting mode.
We have now noticed a huge red tail hawk hanging around in the tallest tree in our yard, we assume because he has been getting some free meals here thanks to the shephard, though for some reason the hawk does not take the skunks?
We can watch the hawk swoop down and carry them into his spot in the tree, quite amazing at what they are capable of lifting off the ground and fly with.

Tammy

#193937 - 02/24/09 08:15 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: TLL & Sam]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

How awful (and scary!!!)
In Perth (Oz) we dont have birds of prey hanging around, the worst we have to watch out for is crows and have only seen them swoop at new born lambs when they get left behind by their mums (the sick ones). Besides, crows are pretty intimidated by our cockys, they hang out in massive flocks and make a huge racket!!
We have a big flock of black cockatoos that are hanging out at my parents property at the moment (they have lots of pine trees which they love chomping on), they are pretty amazing, have been hearing some baby sounds from within the flock, must be some young ones in there somewhere...I'll try and get some photos of them one night...its beautiful seeing them in the wild, I wish Mimi could be free like that, they look so happy!!!
Anita

#193939 - 02/24/09 12:33 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: anitamarie942]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Do not underestimate their strenghth. I too have seen the videos on utube of the small deer and a sheep get picked up by and eagle. We have tons here and I am extremely careful when taking Scarlett out in the yard with her harness on.

#193943 - 02/24/09 03:21 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Mythree2s Offline
Mythree2s  Offline

Arlington, VA
That was likely a very hungry hawk, and she may be losing out on resources with all of the other hawks around. It's pretty rare for a red tail to go after a dog or cat. A great horned owl, that's another story! They're opportunistic hunters, so for her, your dog may have provided a nice opportunity. It is good that you got to your dog first. Regardless of her being able to fly off with your dog or not, she could easily have done her in with those talons. And if you were chasing after her after she had caught your dog, she likely would not let go of your dog (at least not immediately)as she fled from you.

Glad it all turned out for the best!

A little FYI on red tails and parrots. Red tails mostly eat prey that are on the ground (mice, rats, rabbits, etc.). They don't hunt birds like falcons and the accipiters (such as, cooper's hawks and sharp shinned hawks). So if you have a flighted bird, a red tail is not LIKELY to be a threat. That is not to say they wouldn't go after your bird, especially if it is on the ground, or tethered with a flight suit and it will only be compounded if that hawk hasn't eaten recently.

The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.
Theodore Roosevelt
#193950 - 02/24/09 03:56 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: Mythree2s]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I think that the hawks learn what is best to hunt in their area. Around here you see them going after the ground animals but also quite frequently going after birds. I've had them in my yard eating robins, bluejays and pigeons. I didn't see the actual hunt in these cases so the hawk may have well caught all three on the ground. I have seen them hunt sparrows in mid air though. While working at the zoo in Boston I watched a red tail hunt, chase and catch a pigeon in midair and then bring it to the ground to eat.
Nancy

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 02/24/09 03:59 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#193951 - 02/24/09 03:59 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Mythree2s Offline
Mythree2s  Offline

Arlington, VA
Are you sure it was a red tail catching those sparrows? They really aren't designed to catch prey in mid-flight.

Theodore Roosevelt
#193953 - 02/24/09 04:43 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: Mythree2s]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, I am sure it was a hungry hawk. We have alot of displaced wildlife here due to loss of their habitat from residential communities and commmerical growth - mostly birds of prey and waterfowl. My community is surrounded by a nature/wetlands preserve so many are migrating here, where they are protected, unfortunately their source of food has been dramatically reduced.

About a month ago, I heard the ever so distinct "It's a HAWK" scream bellow from one of my M2's. But instead of a being a hawk, it was 2 wild turkey's out wandering in the front lawn. I tried to explain to her that they were turkey's but I don't think she believed me - LOL!

#193955 - 02/24/09 05:09 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of hawks [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
On Saturday, around 5:30 pm, Zazu started screaming her butt off. I couldn't hear a fire truck so went to investigate and saw two huge raccoons hugging the building as they hauled *ss around it. Those are the raccoons I frequently see on my balcony which is why an outside aviary lost its appeal.

Did you need a Depends when you saw your dog in danger, Janet? I would have. LOL

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#193963 - 02/24/09 06:55 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: ZazuSally]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well at least you knew the danger of a hawk when you saw it...

It was a few years ago and being a city gal I saw this pretty bird sitting in the big tree right outside the kitchen window. I grabbed the cam corder and started to video this pretty bird sitting there so content and our dog run was right under that tree.

I called Dave to come and see it because I was in so much awe over this bird. He came and looked and asked where the dogs were. I said outside. Thinking why does that matter. He said "OMG what are you thinking" and ran for the dogs to bring them in. I looked at him rather strangely when he got inside and then he said "Jan that is a hawk and it will carry a yorkie away like it was nothing and you would have got it all on tape". I started to laugh in disbelief. Until he said they take rabbits and carry them like nothing too. I felt so sick to my stomach it wasn't even funny.

I look back and think how stupid I was but at the same time I just had no idea what I was even looking at. I am so glad he was home that day. In this perticular yard it was like an acreage in town. It was a huge yard and we had allot of trees and wildlife was always in that yard. I loved it. I would sit in the back yard for hours just watching the squirrels and blue jays,prairie chickens, A couple of deer here and there. Event he odd wild Jack rabbits.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#193997 - 02/25/09 02:26 AM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: Janny]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I've worked with red tails in the zoo and am very adept at recognizing them in flight. Plus once it caught the pigeon at the zoo I was able to walk right up to it. I think given this hawk is living in an urban area it has learned to adapt it's hunting to meet its needs. In the same area around the zoo there are numerous owls and other birds of prey so I think that the hunting can get slim at times. The ones in my neighborhood although a rural area with plenty of prey available have learned that birds at feeding areas can be easily taken. I no longer use bird feeders, instead I broadcast the seeds across the yard.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#194009 - 02/25/09 02:32 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Mythree2s Offline
Mythree2s  Offline

Arlington, VA
Nancy, I hope I didn't offend you. That wasn't my intent. Knowing your background, I hesitated asking the question. It's still fairly unique for that type of hark to prey on birds, especially small birds and in-flight! Watching a bird on the hunt is amazing for me, even though I feel bad for the prey. I envy you getting to see a hunt like this.
JJ

Theodore Roosevelt
#194013 - 02/25/09 03:31 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: Mythree2s]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
No offense was taken. I just want to be sure that folks realize that red tails will go after their birds. One day at the zoo we had a red tail actually dive towards our duck pond. There is a mesh covering the entire pond. The hawk hit it with such speed it broke through and was caught in the area. Keepers had to go in and catch up the hawk. Not a fun thing to do. It's one thing to catch a hawk that is in captivity another thing to catch a wild one. They're all beak and talons! Luckily I was off that day. I did have to catch up a coopers one day that got hurt when it was chasing a pigeon and flew into the coyote holding area and became disoriented not finding the exit. As soon as you trap them they roll on their backs with talons and beak flashing. Luckily she had rolled over in a corner so I was able to bring the crate right up to her and she grabbed hold of it and ran towards the back, making for a very easy catch up. We transferred her to a wildlife sanctuary for treatment of a bruised shoulder and was then released a couple of weeks later. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#194015 - 02/25/09 04:01 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: BE2Cassie]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Nancy, that just sounds way too cool, even catching the hawk although it sucks when they are hurt.

My favourite is the Harpy's eagle. They are just so incredible and about the size of a dinosaur. LOL

Do you still work at the zoo?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#194019 - 02/25/09 04:46 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: ZazuSally]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Bev it was cool and I loved my job there but unfortunetly age is catching up to me! Being outdoors all winter proved too much for me to handle any longer so I had to leave last Spring. I really miss working with all of the animals. I don't miss throwing 85 lb alf bails or sticking my hands in the pond water to break the ice! It's a young persons career, I just wish I had pursued it 30 years ago. But at least I was able to fulfill my dream job for 8 years after retiring. I enjoyed everyday especially my one on one time training the animals assigned to me. There is nothing that can compare to the thrill of having a wild animal learn to trust you and initiate physically touching you on their own terms. Now I get my fix with the animals I sit. I'm lucky I've gotten a few good customers with snakes, lizards, small animals, horses and of course birds. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#194020 - 02/25/09 04:55 PM Re: For those that underestimate the dangers of ha [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Mythree2s Offline
Mythree2s  Offline

Arlington, VA
You're right! The point I had been trying to make (poorly) was that a flighted bird has a much better chance with red tails around compared to a bird with clipped wings. Birds on the ground can be sitting ducks for most any raptor.

I know all about those beaks, but especially talons! At the rehab center that I volunteer at, there are certain birds that I will not catch (read great horned owls), with out these monstrous animal handling gloves. For most birds, I like minimal thickness, so I can feel the animal, but you have to know each bird and respect their power. And catching a cooper's hawk? They are so fast and can maneuver through the tightest looking places. I was called out to a 72 year old lady's house to free a female coop that got stuck on her porch by plowing right through the screen. Beautiful bird, but difficult to catch. Thankfully, she wasn't injured, so I just walked out the door and let the bird fly off.

Bev, did you see my harpy videos? http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=182580#Post182580

I also have some nice pictures that I took last fall, too.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QAD4XLD7qBXiDtsw3VVsuQ?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xeuOlWx-1UhAE8hgPov-rw?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ir1QMc00pK29YiFlSTF4Vw?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UQrE6Jm08tYEav1VcfSLgQ?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Oer6LFSkX_UHWp6hPLub_g?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mg1fxfqpLsjx7lG9fVxE3A?authkey=MfEDZGIXDr8&feat=directlink

Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny