Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189794 - 01/10/09 06:50 PM Traveling overseas  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
I'm considering traveling overseas and was wondering what impact it would have on the birds. I currently have Birt, an Umbrella Cockatoo without a band and Noodlez, a cockatiel with a band. I may also have a yellow headed Amazon or Green Cheek Conure before we leave.

The places I'm considering are: Hawaii (not quite overseas, but sort of,) Germany and Belgium. I would be gone for 3-4 years.

Birt's the one I'm most concerned about because he doesn't have a band and he's CITES II listed. I can't prove that he's US born. My biggest concerns are being able to take him out of the country, but not bring him back in and their exposure to disease while in quarantine. With Birt I'm also concerned about the level of stress on him. He was plucked due to stress and lack of stimulation when I got him and has regrown his feathers. If I leave for a couple of days he gets pretty upset, I can't imagine what quarantine would be like for him.

Does anyone have experience with this or know where to find out the information? I will be looking at the customs information and the USDA information, but just wanted some extra help narrowing it down.

#189795 - 01/10/09 07:10 PM Re: Traveling overseas [Re: jenscritters]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I don't know but it is can be difficult, especially with CITES II.

Most people I have heard usually just set them up in a foster care while they are gone.

#189801 - 01/10/09 08:14 PM Re: Traveling overseas [Re: Elliott]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
If I go, it will be 3-4 years. I wouldn't have Birt fostered that long. If I can't take him, I won't volunteer to go. If I have to go and I can't take him, there's a sanctuary that I've looked at since I got him. I would pay for his lifelong care and he would be in a place where he's got more room and bird friends. I've been on the fence about it from the beginning since it would allow him to be more of a bird than I can. I've never been sure it's the right thing for him though since Birt was raised as an only Bird that went everywhere with his person. He was about 15 when he was first around other birds and didn't like it at all. He was clipped his whole life and just doesn't know how to fly now.

#189806 - 01/10/09 09:54 PM Re: Traveling overseas [Re: jenscritters]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I go to Hawaii every summer for 1-2 weeks - we have a timeshare there - and I have thought how nice it would be to live there someday. Then, I think about my birds and how tricky it would be to accomplish a move. It used to be very difficult to take family pets there from the continental US due to their strict quarantine requirements. Based on what I learned from a transplanted Californian I met last summer who did bring her pet birds to live in Hawaii, there may be a way to have the quarantining done where you live now vs. waiting to have it done once you arrive in Hawaii. I believe that the quarantining must be supervised and signed off by a certified avian vet and of course, there are specific guidelines to follow, but it sounded like the state of Hawaii is willing to work with people on bringing their companion animals to live there with minimal stress and trauma. I'm such a worry wart that I would be frantic about the long flight with my bird in the cargo area - yikes! But, then again, his separation from you might be much more traumatic than 8 hours in the cargo hold.

Please let us know what you find out, and good luck!! Are you in the military? If so, maybe you can just stay in Texas - not glamorous, but home sweet home for Birt!!

Take care,

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#189811 - 01/11/09 01:30 AM Re: Traveling overseas [Re: MissYumYum]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Hi I live in Europe.
U2s belong to appendix II of the cites but if you come to Europe you need a some kind of document instead for cocktiels no. The big problem is with the appendix I grouplike M2s and others.The major problem is the airline companies that after the avian flu have become a rigid. I know they don't let you fly with the birds in the passenger area because when the lady brought me the M2s she had to come down from Torino with the car, for this reason.

#189814 - 01/11/09 02:53 AM Re: Traveling overseas [Re: whitewings56]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Jenscritters, I don't know if this will help but these people TRULY know about the red tape on international boarders and pet birds. You might want to check this out and even contact them....

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=164660#Post164660

Good Luck.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny