Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186567 - 11/30/08 02:57 AM Probiotics  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I use Avi Culture and I buy it online. It comes in a powder form that needs to be refrigerated but it is easy to sprinkle on foods and they don't know it is there.No taste.

I know about Benibac too is also a good one. Haven't used it though.

Originally Posted By: Avi Culture web site
WHAT IS AVI-CULTUREŽ?
AVI-CULTUREŽ is a Live, Probiotic!
AVI-CULTUREŽ is a Live, Avian-Specific Probiotic!!
AVI-CULTUREŽ is a Live Probiotic that was specifically developed for the avian gut or intestine!
It is the #1 Probiotic that actually works!!

What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are compounds that are comprised of naturally-occurring intestinal bacteria. They have the ability to reduce the proliferation of infectious, pathogenic gut bacteria. There is a process called competitive exclusion whereby "good" bacteria (probiotics) out-compete potentially harmful organisms in the gut. Learn more about the history and development of probiotics [Click Here]

Are Probiotics necessary?
Let me ask you a question now: How does stress affect you? Stress causes indigestion, making us feel bloated or out-of-sorts. Stress also weakens the immune system, reducing our ability to resist infections. Stressed birds experience similar problems, only worse.
When healthy, the digestive system of birds is much like ours in that they both perform the same functions. They absorb nutrients & antioxidants, and by competitive exclusion, protect against harmful microorganisms & pathogens.

Any bird taken out of its natural environment experiences various degrees of stress. Whether a bird is kept alone or with other birds, sooner or later, it will become stressed. Birds experience huge amounts of stress when they must compete with other birds for space, food, water or a mate. The breeding season is probably the most stressful time during a birds life in the wild but even more so while in captivity. Birds are more susceptible to the effects of stress in shorter periods of time than any other animal, pets included.

Stress upsets the balance of "good", or "friendly" bacteria in the intestinal tracts of birds. This upset allows pathogenic (harmful) bacteria to multiply causing diarrhea, "pasted-up" vents, weight loss, "going light" and a variety of other problems. Their immune-deficient systems make them easy targets for diseases caused by microorganisms such as "bad" bacteria and viruses.

What is the safest, most natural way to counteract the effects of stress?
The answer is to put "friendly" bacteria to work in the birds intestinal tract. The answer is AVI-CULTUREŽ the live, avian-specific probiotic! It is a totally safe and beneficial product that utilizes "friendly" bacteria that arrives in the gut in sufficient quantities to allow birds to get back on track to a healthy, happy and long life!

AVI-CULTUREŽ offers aviculturists, veterinarians, pet owners and zoo curators the finest Probiotic on the market with bacterial counts of over 100 million living organisms for the avian intestine per gram! It is over 100 times more effective than most other probiotic products available today!

AVI-CULTUREŽ is produced using proven, field-tested microorganisms that have been shown to implant on the villi of the intestinal tract in birds: Lactobacillus acidophilus, produces lactic acid and the enzyme amylase during the growth phase; Lactobacillus casei enjoys a wide temperature and pH range during growth and complements L. acidophilus producing lactic acid and amylase; Bifido bacterium bifidium, a delicate microorganism found in mother's milk and human, animal and bird intestines; Enterococcus faecium for lactic acid production in pH ranges similar to L. casei.

Ok Bad me posting a bad link.lol. You will have to do a search on your own for the suppliers. I just Copied and Pasted the info on this brand.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#186583 - 11/30/08 03:13 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: Janny]  
itzazu2u Offline
itzazu2u  Offline

South Carolina
I've been wanting to get some kind of probiotic. The only kind I've heard about has been the Benibac. I'm going to check this one out.

#186604 - 11/30/08 04:51 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: itzazu2u]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

So is this a pretty necessary additive for all parrots? Im guessing that maybe plain organic yogurt isn't enough of a probiotic for them? Opinions?

#186617 - 11/30/08 07:27 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: Winter's mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
You can give it naturally by all means it is always the best way to go. For my flock that don't like yogart much this is the way I had to go. Only one of the CAG's and two of the cockatoo's likes yogart and the rest of them...they will turn their beaks at anything I try to hide it in so we went with alternatives.

But yes it is necessary for all birds IMHO.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#186622 - 11/30/08 02:49 PM Re: Probiotics [Re: Janny]  
bambu101 Offline
bambu101  Offline

Years ago, our avian vet recommeded a course of probiotics for 10 to 14 days, and then a course of organic apple cider vinegar for the same amount of time. I do this 4 times a year, and all the birds from canary to macaw get this preventative treatment. I really think this is important to maintain good health.

This has also been successfully used to ward off a minor bacterial imbalance or infection. This was done quite a few times for our Senegal, who had some issues with bacterial infections the first few years we had him. I would say that about 95% of the time, the vet re-check would show clear test results.

Obviously, you need to check with your avian vet before doing this for your bird.

#187797 - 12/13/08 04:05 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: bambu101]  
m0m24 Offline
m0m24  Offline

North Carolina
The first vet we went to recommended benebac (which he sold). It is dry powder at room temperature. We used it but bacteria don't live as dry powder so I think if you have a choice a refrigerated type is more likely to be the "real deal". Plus if you heat it up over 105 degrees (which is nothing in the cooking/microwave world) you will kill all the bacteria so add it at the end to food and not during preparation. This is documented in new baby formula with probiotics that even normal warming of formula will destroy the bacteria.

Elizabeth
#187958 - 12/15/08 05:40 PM Re: Probiotics [Re: m0m24]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
My vet recommends adding apple cider vinegar to my birds' water once per week.

-Christine
#187976 - 12/15/08 10:34 PM Re: Probiotics [Re: Cebr2007]  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama

I recently discovered that Val likes buttermilk and drinks it with me,he also likes yogurt.Sugar,however,will have none of either.Buttermilk is loaded with live cultures.

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
#188011 - 12/16/08 04:19 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: vondooly]  
m0m24 Offline
m0m24  Offline

North Carolina
I recently re read the label to the bene-bac and it is mostly lactobacillus type bacteria which are also what is live in yogurt. my vet thinks yogurt is ok in moderation. I think food with lactobacilli in them seem more reasonable than supplements but just my opinion. If you are giving buttermilk anyway Sweet Acidophilus milk is another option. I have no knowledge about its use in birds its just similar to buttermilk with I would think way more cultures since that is really all it is.

Elizabeth
#188023 - 12/16/08 06:03 AM Re: Probiotics [Re: m0m24]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Birds are lactose intolerant so they should not given most dairy products.

Here's a good article: Dairy Products and Birds by Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., D.A.B.V.P.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny