Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186520 - 11/29/08 07:57 AM New Goffin Cockatoo  
Scarlett143 Offline
Scarlett143  Offline

Brooklyn, New York
I just got a 7 month old Goffin Cockatoo three days ago. I'm excited to have her around. She loves to cuddle against you and is pretty much a happy bird, but I noticed she screams extremely loud when left alone and at night time. She's pretty much quiet when I'm in the same room as her, but as soon as I step out of her sight she lets out this loud yell. This happens at any time of the day. At night time, when I put her to bed, I cover her cage and turn off all the lights. She'll yell for about 10 to 20 min and then stays quiet, but any light noise she's up and yelling again. Is this normal and is there anything else I could do that might calm her down a little? I'm also curious to know as to why they do this. Does anyone know? And what should I do when she's yelling like this? Her yelling doesn't really annoy me, but it is pretty loud and I don't want neighbors getting annoyed.

#186523 - 11/29/08 12:30 PM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Scarlett143]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Please take a moment to read our agenda.
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292
She's still a baby and needs to know that her flock is still close by. Cockatoos stay with the parents for a year or more and need to know they are close. Use the search and look up contact calls and screaming, there's a ton of info. A contact call can be something simple like a noise or word that you use to let her know that you haven't left. If she is able to say any words or make any small noises that's a good place to start. The yelling at bedtime is normal cockatoo behavior. Get ready it will get louder as she gets older. Toos will generally display and call twice a day for as little as a few minutes to up to an hour. A goffins display isn't too bad although can hurt the eardrums if too close. During the night you may want to try a night light so that she doesn't get frightened when she hears noises. Is her cage in a quiet area with no lights, tv, radio or people walking past while she's trying to sleep? Toos require 10 -12 hours of undisturbed sleep per night. Many people use sleep cages at night put in a room with no activity around. The sleep is very important to them. As your too gets older and you get to know her well you'll see the difference in behavior just like a child who goes to bed too late they can get very cranky.
There are some excellent articles on the main page, worth taking the time to read.
http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml
Have you had large birds before or worked at a rescue with them? I'm assuming that a bird at only 7 months was a purchase. Many here have done the same thing. You get caught up in the cute and cuddly bird and are told what a wonderful pet they make only to find out down the road what they are truely like. This is not a pet that can be left in a cage for long hours with no play time or social interaction. She is going to have to be taught everything. How to play with toys, what to eat and a slew of other things. You will have to change your lifestyle. It's like having a new baby in the house her needs come first. No more spur of the moment trips, plans need to be made to go out for dinner and a movie, meals need to be prepared, cages cleaned, and lots of money spent on toys, food and vet bills. Have you made an appointment with a certified avian vet yet? This is crucial. They need to see an avian vet annually. The first appointment is the most important. Blood work and test will be done to be sure she is healthy and not carrying any hidden illness. Others will come on with more info.
If you don't have the time for her or realize that you have gotten in over your head you may want to consider returning her to the breeder or pet store. So many of these incredible intelligent birds end up being put in a basement or garage because of the noise and mess or worse get bounced from home to home. This is when you begin seeing psychological behaviors of plucking, mutilating and aggressive biting. And then again you may see these behaviors in a bird that has a stable loving home also. If you choose to keep her get ready for a rough ride. Yes you will get bitten. G2s have a smaller beak but can still deliver a dangerous bite. Toos and children don't mix. Kids move to quick and sudden and make toos nervous. A bite from even a little too can blind or disfigure a child. Take the next few days to do alot and I mean alot of reading to see what you've gotten youself into and use the search feature to look up biting, plucking, mutilating,bathing,diet, etc..
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186558 - 11/30/08 02:08 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Scarlett143 Offline
Scarlett143  Offline

Brooklyn, New York
Thank You for your response. I do understand the attention that she requires. I knew when I got her, that because of her age, she was going to have to be taught pretty much everything and I was expecting her to cry. Other than what you have suggested, are there any other things I can do to make her feel more comfortable? I am not annoyed by her crying, I am just worried that she is uncomfortable or is still feeling insecure. Will she cry less when she is more familiar with me and her new surroundings?

#186561 - 11/30/08 02:19 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Scarlett143]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
She's still a baby and comfort feedings may help. Toos don't properly wean until they are about a year or more in the bigger birds. If you do a search on comfort feedings you'll find alot of suggestions. Plain oatmeal warm but not hot off of a spoon is one that alot of folks seem to have success with. Start doing the contact calls with her so she knows that you are still close by. This is what they do in the wild. You may want to search this as well. She will go from her baby crys to a whole lot louder scream/display. This is normal cockatoo behavior.
When you do search hit advanced search put the words in paranthasis like this "comfort feedings" then set it to less than 10 years and more than 1 day. You will be amazed at the number of threads that come up.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186562 - 11/30/08 02:22 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree with Nancy and here is a good article we have posted in the General Discussion forum:
http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=184329#Post184329

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#186569 - 11/30/08 02:59 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: EchosMom]  
Scarlett143 Offline
Scarlett143  Offline

Brooklyn, New York
Now how many times a day would you suggest I give her the "comfort meals"?

#186603 - 11/30/08 04:38 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Scarlett143]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
I have an almost six month old goffins 'too who I currently have to give comfort feedings to. I give them to him whenever he wants them. It is very obvious when he does. He wines and puts his head back; like I said, it's just obvious when he wants it. You can just tell he's begging for it.

As far as how often he wants it, it's about three times a day. Maybe four if he's had a very busy, active day. But it's usually once in the morning, once in the late afternoon, and a small feeding right before bed.

Hope that helps a little. Simply put there's really no set number. Just go by her "schedule" of when she wants it.

Of course I'm new at this also, so maybe someone has better advice, but that's how I see it- let her decide on how often she needs it.

-Christine
#186624 - 11/30/08 04:52 PM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Cebr2007]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I would feed small meals more often than feed on a set time schedule. That's the way the parents feed in nature.

Remember that they eat all day thru forageing.

#186748 - 12/01/08 05:58 PM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Elliott]  
Scarlett143 Offline
Scarlett143  Offline

Brooklyn, New York
Thanks for the advice. I will post pics of her soon for all to see.

#187200 - 12/06/08 04:18 AM Re: New Goffin Cockatoo [Re: Scarlett143]  
Scarlett143 Offline
Scarlett143  Offline

Brooklyn, New York
I did the comfort feedings and they worked great. It keeps her quiet for a good hour or two and then she cries for more lol. Thanks for the advice.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny