Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186244 - 11/26/08 04:02 PM WHat about E.O's??  
karateka Offline
karateka  Offline

We all know the difficultly of "scenting" our homes with birds. So, a friend of mine is a natural soap maker, she uses ONLY E.O's (Essential Oils), no fragrance oils. The process to make them has no chemicals or anything, it is a drip system, I can't even describe it.

She brought me a spray bottle with diluted oil drippings and water (don't ask me) and asked if I could use those in my home, I have no clue. She knows that is the main issue I have with having birds, no FaBreeze! LOL I just love all the yummy smelling stuff.

It would be kinda cool to make a light spray with pure clove or orange oil to spray around once in awhile. Ooooohhhhhh, or her pine oil for Christmas...............

Has anyone heard or talked with anyone about this??? Any studies??

#186245 - 11/26/08 04:04 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: karateka]  
karateka Offline
karateka  Offline

BTW: she said it was like taking an orange and just squeezing the natural scent out of it. Didn't know if any of you knew the process.

#186246 - 11/26/08 04:45 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: karateka]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I've never used oils in the house since I've gotten the birds, but I do use extracts. Orange extract mixed with water in a spray bottle does a great job. I also use spices in a bowl of water zapped in the microwave for 2 minutes and then I put it on the stove under the fan which blows in the kitchen. Gives great scents to the whole house. I would think that if the water was allowed to settle after microwaving it that it could be used in a spray bottle as well. I'll have to give it a try.
I also use spices on the rugs when I vac in place of carpet deodorises. Nancy

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 11/26/08 04:46 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186248 - 11/26/08 05:14 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
BE2Cassie, what types of spices do you use? Just curious. Sounds like a great idea, and I'd like to try it myself.

-Christine
#186249 - 11/26/08 05:20 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: Cebr2007]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
cloves, cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, lemon extract, rum extract, nutmeg, anise just to name a few.
Really makes the house smell great. Keeping it on a burner on low works really good too, but I have gas and it makes me nervous so I just use the microwave. For a quick fix I will walk around the house with the hot spices in water and let the steam from it work as an air freshner. Comes in very handy when my skink poops! Very smelly.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186250 - 11/26/08 05:27 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
Thanks Nancy! I'm going to try it.

I'd be interested to know if the oils that karateka is referring to are safe as well. Hopefully someone else on the board will have some insight on this subject.

-Christine
#186260 - 11/26/08 06:14 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: Cebr2007]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I'ld love to know also. Many years ago when oils and inscense where all the rage I used to put a drop on a light bulb. Would scent the entire house within minutes. My parents hated it! And we lived in a very old large victorian!!! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186265 - 11/26/08 06:56 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I just do the same as you Nancy. I leave a bit of water on the burner in a SS pot and I put some orange peel,cinnamin, cloves, pumkin spice in there and just simmer it. I just do this for my own pleasure because I used to be a candle finatick but this is a good alternative. I am curious about the EO though. HAven't heard anything about them really. Allot of the nurses at work use them in their homes because their kids have allergies and these don't seem to effect the kids but as far as Avian Safety I don't know.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#186266 - 11/26/08 06:58 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
There is conflicting information and some are considered safe for theraputic reasons, such as peppermint for respiratory problems. Due to some much of the conflicting information I've read and the fact that there seems to be different grades of essential oils, I urge anyone considering their use to check with your AV. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#186275 - 11/26/08 08:11 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We have discussed this many times and you should be able to search for "essential oils". Always remember that these things work by vaporizing the oil by either heat or pressure vaporizer and the smell comes from the very tiny droplets of oil being breathed in. These droplets end up in your lungs and that is not a good mix; it is even worse for the avian respiratory system. As has been pointed out, there are good alternatives. Burning incense and candles is just as bad as the process produces carbon soot and other combustion byproducts that we would all be better without. Our birds certainly don't need it!

#186284 - 11/26/08 09:15 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Sorry Charlie I should have been more specific about the incense. It's not something I do in my home any longer. Burning anything is taboo as far as the birds go. I stick strickly to the spices these days.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#186285 - 11/26/08 09:19 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Oh, I wasn't implying that in any way! We have had the candle, incense, oil discussions so many times, I was just trying to summarize for new members. Anything that burns or add pollutants to the air is really bad for the delicate avian respiratory system. wink

#186316 - 11/27/08 03:55 AM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: Charlie]  
ChickenBaby Offline
ChickenBaby  Offline

Sunshine State
I use to be a candle junkie, loved the glade warmers too. I haven't lit a single candle since bringing Chicken home. Guess this would be a good weekend to get rid of that big box of candles in the pantry. I'll bet my mom would love to have them.
I love the spice idea Nancy, I like to throw oranges and orange peels (lemons too) in a pot on the stove then for added benefit I grind them up in my garbage disposal.

#186320 - 11/27/08 04:30 AM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: ChickenBaby]  
LoveTheLola Offline
LoveTheLola  Offline

Methuen, Ma
Paraffix wax which most companies use is horrible for birds. Bees wax is safe, and doesn't burn off a residue that most candles produce that gets in the air and lungs.

Essential oils are disasterous. It is and OIL and will stick in the lungs. Natural fruit oils from the rines and peels is safe, because it isn't consentrated.

If you're handy with arts n' crafts, you can make your own candles that are bird safe. Find all natural bees wax, a tefflon free pot that you'll only use for the wax, and find some all cotton, no metal used wicks. Add in a mixture of your favorite scents from EXTRACTS that is used in food by dropping a few drops of each in the wax mixture. For drip candles, dip the wick over and over again until it's the desired thickness. For voltives or larger candles, hold the wick in place by tieing it around a pencil and laying the pencil center over the glass or mold. Pour in the wax, making sure the wick doesn't move from the center. Let it set until fully hardened. Whala. A bird safe candle that is safe to use in the home.

Granted, the scents in these arn't as strong, but that's a good thing, and you'll still get your pretty candles to burn in the house. I still wouldn't use it directly around the bird, but they are ok to use at the dinner tables and at night when the birds in it's bedroom for the night.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that you can use distilled water, heated with vanilla beans, cinnamin sticks, orange peels, lemon peels, or a combination. After heating, let cool and pour concoction into a spray bottle. Spray liberally as you like on your furniture, carpets, beddings, ect.

Last edited by LoveTheLola; 11/27/08 04:38 AM.

I pitty those who are locked in their mind, never openning it to the truth.
#186356 - 11/27/08 06:50 PM Re: WHat about E.O's?? [Re: LoveTheLola]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
One way to test candles is to hold a piece of tin foil above the flame for a few seconds. If it gets a black spot that you can wipe off with your finger, then it's not okay. That black stuff is soot. It doesn't matter what made that soot, it's particulate matter. It's little particles in the air that you breathe in. Particulate matter in any form is not good for birds and pretty dubious for us.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny