Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#184967 - 11/13/08 08:58 PM Frustrated with Housing Search  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Where to begin! In October 2007 I had to move back in with my parents. Prior to that I had been living wth my boyfriend, and prior to living my boyfriend I was still living at home. I spent the last year taking advantage of the rent-free living paying off about $20k in credit card debt. My credit scores are a lot better and I have a little savings fund going. All is well on the financial front, so I am looking to get a place of my own for the first time ever in my life. I am having a hell of a time finding a place to live that is in my price range AND is suitable for the birds.

Since my credit scores are mortgage-worthy I thought about buying house but it is an unwise move for me at this point. I'm pretty sure I can't afford to maintain a household with my single income and if I could afford it, it probably wouldn't be the safest location or the house would require more work than I can afford. I thought about buying a mobile home, which personally I don't have any issue with, but everything I've read suggests that these homes may not be the best investment for my money since they depreciate. I don't want to be stuck with a home I can't sell later on down the road.

So I thought about renting. I have seriously mulled over the apartment option and this is why: I've looked at a few 1 bedroom + study apartment homes. The study room is where the birds would be while I'm at work and is located in the middle of the apartment. That way, their room wouldn't be on a shared wall with any of my neighbors. But in the back of my brain I know that it doesn't matter how new or how insulated the apartment is - they are just too loud!

So instead of an apartment I've looked at single family homes for rent. Most of these are out of my price range unless I want a roommate, or, they are in really shady areas if I can afford it. I don't want to subject a poor roommate to the screaming wrath of my birds and I wouldn't don't want to have to depend on a roommate's rent to pay the bills. I also don't want to live in a shady area because I am a single female living alone and I would be devastated if someone broke into my home and stole the birds.

I am at a LOSS as to finding a place. Any tips you could offer would be great. Maybe there is another option I am not seeing here. What am I going to do!?!!

#184970 - 11/13/08 09:17 PM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: Belongs2Sammy]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

I'm hoping someone has a more creative idea than me. I have no idea your location or how much you'd need to buy a house. But, if you were able to pay down $20k in CC debt by living with your parents for one year, could you stick it out for 1-2 more years to give yourself a nice $20-40k cushion to buy a house?

I don't have any toos, but I can hear my severe macaw down the street when he gets going. And many toos at the shelter where I volunteer are louder than him. I don't think I'd be able to do any shared-wall dwellings with my flock.

I'd be nervous about roommates as well, especially if it's someone you don't know well. I do tend to worry too much, but I'd be afraid they'd forget to close a door properly and a bird would escape, or would sue me if the bird bit them badly, etc.

Sorry you're in a tough spot frown

#184977 - 11/13/08 10:11 PM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: Beeps]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Hey there. I live in an apartment with my 'too. My apartment complex is set up with multiple buildings each with 4 apartpemts in them each, the upstairs two are 2 bedrooms, while the downstairs 2 are 1 bedrooms because there are also carports. That is just how my building is. Anyway, because of this, noone can hear Kahlua unless the windows are open/balcony is open. We share ONE wall with the apt next door, and his cage is against this wall. I've NEVER heard them and I guess they haven't heard Kahlua? I don't even know if anyone lives there.

Try looking for a corner unit, or something similar like mine if possible. I pay more than I'd want to, but it's a nice, safe place, and I don't worry about the noise!

Also, I have a roommate, she works til usually past 7, which is when he goes to bed... but is up around 9am and Kahlua yells sometimes, but she doesn't mind, she takes him out sometimes and they eat breakfast. I am soo grateful for that.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#184979 - 11/13/08 11:22 PM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: sandiego]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
You need to find a room mate who loves birds. I trust bird lovers!! smile

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#184987 - 11/14/08 01:19 AM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Here is my advice: Buy something you can afford. Renting gets you nowhere. Even if you buy an old house or mobile home you are aquiring something. Just don't get yourself in too deep incase hard times fall upon you. If you can tolerate a roomate than that would help make your payments. The trouble with living with your parents can be that you spend the money you should have been saving for your house. Also you can check out if there are any Rent to Own options but be careful about that too. Run it by your lawyer to make sure you don't get taken advantage of.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#184997 - 11/14/08 02:52 AM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: Donnalee]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
I agree with Donnalee, buying is always better. If you rent, you might as well be throwing your money away. Any home you buy, whether condo, mobile, house, is an investment, and they do not depreciate in the same way that cars do. Not to mention now is the best time to purchase a home. Interest rates are lower than they've been in a long time.

-Christine
#185062 - 11/14/08 08:28 PM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: Cebr2007]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
look for foreclosures

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#185078 - 11/15/08 01:47 AM Re: Frustrated with Housing Search [Re: sandiego]  
nanuk Offline
nanuk  Offline

Pueblo,CO U.S.A.
Look at foreclosures but stay awayfrom mobile homes because they depreciate just as fast as cars do plus the set-up costs usually put you upside down and you will never get the investment back. If you find a really good realtor they can help secure an affordable mortgage as well as find something in your price range.

Terry

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny