Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#182363 - 10/22/08 07:03 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Janny]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
Thanks! smile

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#182369 - 10/22/08 08:13 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: MagnusG2]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Tika will not let me near him with a harness. I have not tried with Amanda. She may let me put it on after a while. It's going to take some serious desensitization like the dremel.

Neither of my birds have flight skills. Amanda has beautiful wings and could fly. I haven't encouraged it because she has a lot of freedom this way. Tika is heavy, chews his flights. Has no lift and has a bit of a phobia from falling.

I have a horse shoe shaped area in my yard that is fenced and surrounded by short trees and hidden from the wind very well. It's almost a covered area. This is where we go now. I watch like the "hawk"!

Outside is the riskiest thing we do. I am working on a portable outdoor aviary as my solution. I'm taking it with me.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#182414 - 10/23/08 03:16 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: rockinseattle]  
Rudy and I Offline
Rudy and I  Offline

South GA, USA
Thanks rockinseattle,
That's a pic of rudy and my hubby. Rudy rides on his bike when we go for rides together. And I couldn't resist getting a picture of my two fav men together! =)
Rudy is suprisingly laid back. He took to the aviator harness very well and really enjoys going outside. We tried to make the experience of putting it on him quick, pleasant and fun. He knows when he sees it that he is going outside. Great mental stimulation and the natural sunlight helps their bodies process Vitamin D. They do make these neat birdy "front packs" sort of like a back packs, sort of like a back pack but you wear it in the front. Here is a link. You just really have to make sure you buy a sturdy one and inspect it for places that might have been chewed. They are a bit pricey though. Her is a link with different types of carriers for sale from very small to ones made for larger birds.
~Steph~

Last edited by Charlie; 10/23/08 03:43 AM. Reason: That site has a classified section to sell birds. Link removed.

Rudy - Goffin
I - Stephanie
#182416 - 10/23/08 03:36 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Rudy and I]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Those acrylic carriers make great hospital cages.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#182555 - 10/24/08 03:50 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Janny]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Sorry about that, was away for a bit there.
The elastic is attached to the harness at the bottom, I forget how exactly, but I'm pretty sure you can remove it and put something stronger on. I've found that most people's birds won't go after the leash when they are outside as it sits sort of behind and to the side of the bird (where many just ignore it)
I'd practice inside and if your bird takes to chewing the elastic, I'd change it out to something else.

Last edited by Cidsa; 10/24/08 03:51 AM.
#182573 - 10/24/08 05:15 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Cidsa]  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
None of our birds have ever liked the harnesses we tried. Something about being wrapped in something made to limit their movements seems to really bother them. They have all chewed the harness, both when I tried to get it on them and while wearing it. Maybe I did it wrong; maybe they just thought it was a snake or something. (Mine is hot pink, too) But the fact is, I got tired of bleeding, and they won, and the harness is stowed away somewhere where it isn't available for use as a chew toy.

I keep thinking that some day, when I have 10 or 12 hours a day to mess with it, I may try inventing a game with the harness that will result in a bird learning to enjoy it, but haven't reached that stage yet. As sooon as they see it, they either fly to the very top of whatever room they're in, or attack it.

Jody
#182700 - 10/25/08 07:34 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: jm47]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I think the Aviator harness is MUCH better than the Feather Tether. (Keep a close eye on chewing.) : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#182876 - 10/27/08 08:36 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Donnalee]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
Thanks everyone on your input! smile

Donna: Why do you think that?? What is the benefits of the aviator?

Last edited by MagnusG2; 10/27/08 08:37 AM.

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#182889 - 10/27/08 03:35 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Donnalee]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: Donnalee
I think the Aviator harness is MUCH better than the Feather Tether. (Keep a close eye on chewing.) : )

I agree. my Bella-Tiel loves her Aviator! She moves easier, doesn't look weighed down when she flies, isn't visible annoyed when she tries to move beyond the range of the harness and can't, and she can groom herself better with it on.

The only downside is she throws a litle tantrum when I go to take it off. tired

"A Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage."
~William Blake
#182929 - 10/27/08 08:51 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Elfhome]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
Well, 'you think I should go for the aviator then?

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#182931 - 10/27/08 09:06 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: MagnusG2]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
I'm looking at these harnesses. It's called The Aviator. It this the right one?

http://www.24parrot.com/Aviator-C415/

Do any of you know what size to order for a goffin? Is it a small or medium?

Last edited by MagnusG2; 10/27/08 09:07 PM.

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#182932 - 10/27/08 10:29 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: MagnusG2]  
charlieandme Offline
Lives Here
charlieandme  Offline
Lives Here

I called my vet and got Charlie's weight. On the first website posted they had approx weight under each size.

entiendo.etsy.com
#182933 - 10/27/08 10:55 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: charlieandme]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
According to the site:
Small: 190 grams to 450 grams is the approximate size for a Goffins.

~William Blake
#183055 - 10/28/08 04:27 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Janny]  
Maura Offline
Maura  Offline

Stroudsburg, PA
Clare has gone everywhere with me since we got her. A little out of the ordinary, but I claim she is an emotional support animal smile.

She never learned to fly since she was never given the chance to even try. Her wings are not clipped, however they are in quite bad shape. She is trying, a little at a time. I know by Spring time she will be all over this house!

That being said, I am seriously thinking about the aviator for her and for Kiwi. As it is the warmer mornings are spent on the front steps for sunlight & sometimes in the afternoon. It was easy knowing that neither of them could fly (yes, I know it could happen even with non-flyers, but I was confident & they did not leave my attention at all).

Now I know I could not possibly handle either one of them without some sort of safety. It's not something I would hook them up to and walk away from, but for our morning coffee (for me!) on the front steps it would be perfect.

I think it would also allow for CLare to continue her adventures with me. Kiwi is WAAAAAY too cranky for anyone's good & could care less about things like errands & shopping - all she cares is that we bring her something back!

Maura
#183398 - 10/30/08 11:28 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Maura]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
Thanks for your input Maura. smile

I am now close to ordering my harness. Can anyone tell me the specifics about the difference between the feather tether and the aviator? Does everyone agree that the aviator is the best??

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#183572 - 11/01/08 09:01 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: MagnusG2]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I don't know a lot about the Feather Tether, but I do know that it doesn't have the elastic and it has a couple metal clips.

The Aviator is one piece with no clips, it's made out of a similar material to the FT I believe (that sort of corded nylon stuff). The elastic leash is attached to the bottom of the harness with a crimped metal piece (seems to have been crimped by a machine, it's very tight).
You can also get the aviator on in a few short steps, not so easy with the others (FT, Orthobird, etc). I also believe it's escape proof, I had one on my tiel (who was deathly afrad of it, I switched to a flightsuit instead) and he couldn't get out of it.

Their official site is the Parrot University, you should look at that (google it).. they have videos and lots of pictures. The harness itself comes with an instructional DVD too. The only thing is that this harness is associated with an aviary, although that's probably the case with all of them.

#183576 - 11/01/08 09:43 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Cidsa]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
The Feather Tether Tiel size was really easy for Bella to get out of once she figured it out. She could pop the clip in about 2 seconds and then back out of the harness. Now, I believe the Too one would be harder to figure out, but we all know how smart Toos are, so...

~William Blake
#183586 - 11/02/08 12:50 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Elfhome]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Opps, sorry just checked back...
Feather teather: the edges are sharp and not tacked down well. I ordered according to weight but when I got it it was way too small. It would have fit a gopher. Since it looked uncomfortable anyway I didn't order a bigger one.

Aviator: finished nicer. Fits the size it states. You can get a stretchy tie out to go with it. Then if they can fly there is enough length. If they get to the end it is a gentle recoil so they don't snap their neck. WAY BETTER SYSTEM!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#183623 - 11/02/08 10:29 AM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: Donnalee]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
Thanks everyone!! That confirmed all of my concerns about the feather teather. I have just ordered The Aviator! I'm very excited to see how it will work out with Magnus. If I can get it on him, we will practice indoor all winter so that we are ready for the spring/summer.

Thank you soo much everyone. laugh

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#183778 - 11/03/08 05:57 PM Re: Harness: Hot or not? [Re: MagnusG2]  
charlieandme Offline
Lives Here
charlieandme  Offline
Lives Here

I ordered one too!

entiendo.etsy.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny