Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#184323 - 11/07/08 11:24 PM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
Great post, Bev, and I just threw out the small number of hard plastic foot toys I had for Bogie. There weren't many of them, but after hearing your story, I'm taking no chances! Thank you for sharing.

#184325 - 11/07/08 11:55 PM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: Bogie's Buddy]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Thanks for the heads up on the plastic toys - I see so many of them for sale but will never buy them again, also have thrown out the ones I have. In my business (grooming) I see so many tragic dog and cat stories that are so similar to the tragic bird stories that I read. My personal belief is that potential pet owners (ANY pet) should have to spend some time with a vet, a groomer and then pass a test to determine if they are fit and worthy of parenting a furry or feathered kid. My heart breaks someetimes

Pat

One Day At A Time
#184328 - 11/08/08 12:13 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Boy, we are one pathetic group of terminally ill people. smile

I don't feel sick. confused

"You are about to make a life altering decision by adopting a cockatoo." In my case it was for the better.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/08/08 12:16 AM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#184428 - 11/08/08 11:05 PM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
m0m24 Offline
m0m24  Offline

North Carolina
Bev,
What a touching story. I am such a not calm person - all hyper energy and quick temper but with animals I am calm as could be. My children probably wish that extended to them lol but they are often the cause of my quick temper. It is just amazing the miracle that animals can bring in personality. And BTW no one would have ever eaten off my floor but even if were willing to try my kids are quick to tell you - the bird poops on the floor. Duh.

And John the fact that you don't feel sick is why it's terminal.:)

Elizabeth
#184453 - 11/09/08 03:32 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: m0m24]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Bev that is a very touching story. Your heart must have broken when you lost her after such a short time. I'm one of those people that needs animals in my life. They, regardless of species bring a calmness to me that has helped me through some tough times over the years. I'm not very good with trusting humans very few in fact(hubby,son and best friend), but animals have an honesty to them that can't be matched. Over the years I've known alot of animals and have always known where I stood with them whether tolerated, hated, liked or loved. I can't say that of many people in my life over the years. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#184466 - 11/09/08 06:30 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
I got Eli from a bird store who was called bout a bird from a breeder.
I got Little Foot from a lady in a news paper.
I got Chewy from a whim buy. My old caregiver told me that I should get him, I told her I didn't think it was a good idea. But she talked me into it and I got him. Would I do it differently now? Definitely!!!!!! I would have stood my ground with my "No". Do I regret getting him? No.........well yes sometimes, but mostly no is the one that sticks out.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#184468 - 11/09/08 06:35 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: Chewy]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Do I regret getting him? No.........well yes sometimes, but mostly no is the one that sticks out.

You funny girl. laugh

John
#184754 - 11/11/08 10:10 PM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Because that carpet/antique table/wallpaper was ugly anyways. Because oatmeal and scrambled eggs completement the colors on our walls.
Because she's more effective than an alarm clock and us the only thing that gets me out of bed every morning?
Because if she didn't yell for showers every day I'd be a very messy, stinky person?
Because she forces me to actually buy good foods instead of frozen dinners and fast food?
Because she has made me less-selfish, more patient, calmer person?

Now if only I could figure out a way to pay her back.

"A Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage."
~William Blake
#184769 - 11/12/08 12:04 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: Elfhome]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Elfhome
Because that carpet/antique table/wallpaper was ugly anyways. Because oatmeal and scrambled eggs completement the colors on our walls.
Because she's more effective than an alarm clock and us the only thing that gets me out of bed every morning?
Because if she didn't yell for showers every day I'd be a very messy, stinky person?
Because she forces me to actually buy good foods instead of frozen dinners and fast food?
Because she has made me less-selfish, more patient, calmer person?

Now if only I could figure out a way to pay her back.

Amen. laugh

John
#184775 - 11/12/08 01:28 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
karateka Offline
karateka  Offline

Abby is here because she needed us.
Abby is here because we need her (she teaches humility very well).
Abby is here because there is no way she would survive in the wild.
Abby is here because the people in her life were hurting her.
Abby is here because when I was a child birds were throw away animals.
Abby is here because I am insane.
Abby is here because I am sane.

I wish Abby was not here.

I wish Abby were in the wild were she belongs living out whatever life was meant for her.

I CRY when I see big flocks of beautiful birds flying free. my friends do not understand how I can love her SOOOOOO much, but still be willing to be without her if it were possible.
I can't describe my feelings tword her.

#184777 - 11/12/08 02:07 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: karateka]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I've been following this post and after reading all the replies, I believe that Flowerchild made a very important point. The #1 reason that birds were caged as pets in the first place is because people are impulsive and selfish.

Now let's fast forward to today, and I am going to reply with a rhetorical question...

If we (meaning those of us who care, and can provide for them) didn't, then who would????? There aren't enough good homes to go around now,and the problem is growing. frown

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#184780 - 11/12/08 02:32 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: EchosMom]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Cleo is with me for all the reason Abby is with you but I could not have articulated it so movingly. Thank you.

And EM, when I wonder if I am a good enough parent and if I'm capable of learing all I need to, I'll remember "who would"

Pat

Pat

One Day At A Time
#184788 - 11/12/08 03:27 AM Re: Why Do People Keep Birds [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Cleo's Mom
Cleo is with me for all the reason Abby is with you but I could not have articulated it so movingly. Thank you.

You took the words out of a lot of peoples minds.

Quote:
And EM, when I wonder if I am a good enough parent and if I'm capable of learning all I need to, I'll remember "who would"

Pat

All of us wonder the same thing even after years. Today we are happy. I pray tomorrow will be the same.

My birds are most likely going to live beyond me. I so wish to be young again just for the sake of my birds.

I don't want to live forever. Just long enough to look after MY birds till their ready to go to. No less and no longer. Then I would be happy. smile

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny