Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166428 - 06/06/08 02:57 AM bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool  
denisecole Offline
denisecole  Offline

alpharetta GA
I have some type of insect in the aviary. It is a small mm size grey bug. I called a pesticisde company to spray. WHAT IS SAFE? I leave the doors open w/o screens and the AC on during the day.

Is it safe to dip your bird in a salt water pool? or do I need to rise then off in the shower after swimming with them?

My U-2 that I adopted 2 months ago is still the most amazing PERSON!!! He is truly wonderful. I cannot image how anyone could not be able to devote time to him.

#166431 - 06/06/08 03:04 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: denisecole]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Denise I don't know of any pesticide that would be safe to spray. What type of bug is it? Flying or crawling? Maybe someone from the Georgia area will know what it is and how to get rid of it. Some insects will avoid certain things like ants and powder. The salt water is a new one to me. I wouldn't think it would be good for a bird to be in it at all. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will know. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#166434 - 06/06/08 03:11 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: BE2Cassie]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Can you pick it up with a broom or something and move the bug that way you don't run the risk of hurting your birds.

#166436 - 06/06/08 03:22 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: rockinseattle]  
denisecole Offline
denisecole  Offline

alpharetta GA
They are on the fire place hearth. I callled T-X and some one will get back with me. We are having a terrible bug season here in GA for some reason!!! It is not one bug, there are 20-30 of them, it looks like some type of mite. The birds do not have any bugs on them, I groom them every day. I smashed the cluster of straight 1mm bugs, but, I am sure new memebers will return.

#166438 - 06/06/08 03:30 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: denisecole]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I wouldn't use ANY pesticide w/out the approval of my AV. I would find out what compounds are going to be used and call my AV. But I seriously doubt that anything is going to be safe to use with a bird in the house. Perhaps the exterminator can suggest some natural repellants.

As far as a salt water pool, I cannot answer that, but I have a chlorinated pool and would never dream of taking my birds in it. Again, check with your AV and do be sure to let us know...I'm curious about this question.

ETA: Here's two articles on pesticides and birds

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/pesticides/

http://library.fws.gov/Pubs/mbd_pesticides-3-00.pdf

Last edited by EchosMom; 06/06/08 03:42 AM. Reason: added links

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#166443 - 06/06/08 03:56 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
NO PESTICIDES AT ALL PLEASE!!! There are NO safe pesticides. Unless you are planning on leaving the house with the bird for about a week till the place COMPLETELY airs out.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#166444 - 06/06/08 03:56 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
denisecole Offline
denisecole  Offline

alpharetta GA
OK, I will call Dr C. in tomorrow. I am D if you do and D if you don't.

I was told that natural light is the best w/o screens and then I get a host of insects vs leaving the birds "indoors" all day. Then it is too hot, so what do I do? I leave the doors open with the AC runnig in 95 degree temps!!!! with out screens of course to get the natural light. There has got to be some type of balnce for caring for my birds. Their cages are scrubed every day as well. How did these insects get into my aviary?

The B&G has been swimming in the pool for 2 yrs and screams when ever he hears a splash. There is some chlorine, but, the same as city tap H20. I thought it would be good for the dusty birds to get some relief with the salt. Dr. C is going to think I am nuts with all my questions. But, none the less, I will call him! ( - :

#166447 - 06/06/08 04:51 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: denisecole]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Don't confuse natural sunlight with direct sunlight. Yes, screening does filter some sunlight, but the benefits are not totally lost. I would be more concerned about exposing my birds to insects and rodents (they carry diseases) by leaving a door completely open, than I would from losing some of the effects of natural light through a screened door.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#166453 - 06/06/08 06:14 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Okay, you guys have me scared. I am having an exterminator come in in a couple of weeks to deal with termites and carpenter ants. He is aware of my caution with the birds and I am extremely sensitive to chemicals. He is adamant there is no danger. He claims there will be no fumes in the house, it will all be under the house and on the outside of the house. I plan on leaving for the day and taking everyone with me. Imagine a small SUV with various cages holding 6 birds. LOL. Should I cancel?? I do not want to harm my birdies.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#166458 - 06/06/08 06:36 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: Ladyhutch]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Sharon please get with the exterminator and your AV on this. About 25 yrs ago, before I even knew avian vets existed, my boys had 2 budgies, and we lived in a house that had subterranean termites and carpenter ants. We also had a dog and 2 cats. The exterminator promised me that the treatment they were doing was completely safe. After treatment there was absolutely no odor, but I woke up the next morning to find both of the budgies dead. I'll never forget that day. frown frown

#166463 - 06/06/08 08:57 AM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
Perhaps an exterminator can just figure out what the bugs are for you so that you can figure out how to get rid of them. If you know what they are, you may be able to get rid of their food source. They also might be sensitive to certain organic cleaners or essential oils. Many bugs don't like peppermint. That's one of the reasons I clean with a peppermint soap. When you call, as if they can charge you just for identification. You might also be able to put some in a bag and take it into their office to find out what they are at no charge.

Bugs are really bad here this year also. We've never seen more than one or two fleas a year. This year, they are bad. We also have weevils like crazy. One store told me that I wouldn't be able to buy bird food without weevils. I freeze it when I get it anyway, but these were already hatched out and had put quite a few holes in the food. I've had problems with pet food at stores I've been going to for years also.

#166465 - 06/06/08 12:14 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
In the past i have used a pesticide called "Camicide" It is 100% pyretharins. I don't spray it but wearing a two pairs of rubber/latex gloves and using a paper towel, I would wipe the floors, baseboards, window sills, cage stand legs. Once it dries it is gone. There is no residual left. It only works on contact.

#166468 - 06/06/08 12:59 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: Elliott]  
Michelle8822 Offline
Michelle8822  Offline

Lebanon, TN
I am not sure about pesticides and which ones would be safe, but instead of leaving your windows open without screens why not get some UV lighting. You can check with www.naturallighting.com. That is where I got my lighting from.

#166469 - 06/06/08 01:00 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: Elliott]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
I have a terrible issue all year long with Fruit flies. But I NEVER spray. Instead I use fly strips and then i also take a glass or a quart jar and put some fruit in the bottom of it (I mash it up so it rots quicker). Then I take plastic wrap and rubber band it on the opening tight. Then take a toothpick and poke little holes all over the top. The holes look too small for them to get in but they seem to have no problems. I catch ton's this way. They after a few days I make a larger hole in the top and DROWND THEM!! they are so pesky and terrible to get rid of.
Point is there are always alternatives that pesticides. Find out what the bug is. go here

http://www.e-bug.net/forum/messages/15760.shtml
or
http://www.terminix.com/Information/default.aspx

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#166485 - 06/06/08 05:54 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

We had our old house treated for subterranean termites about 10 or more years ago. The exterminators swore there was no danger to the birds. I brought the birds upstairs for a couple days, but I am not convinced it didn't do long term damage. Gilligan, our M2 died of air sac carcinoma this February and this is one of the gnawing doubts in my mind, that this is something that could have cause long term damage and eventually the cancer.

#166496 - 06/06/08 07:32 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: Birdiemommy]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I repeat, THERE ARE NO SAFE PESTICIDES. PERIOD. That's why they're pesticides. They are chemicals that were invented to "KILL".

If you have a bug problem. You need to clean your house top to bottom. I mean every nook and cranny. Find the source of the bugs (which you will when you clean) and plug the hole or get rid of whatever product they came in with.

Fertilizer, weed killer, cleaners are all bad. Use organic cleaners.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#166499 - 06/06/08 08:17 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA

#166500 - 06/06/08 08:54 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: EchosMom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
Hello from Lilburn, GA. We have bugs too. This has been a bad year because we have not had enough cold days or freezing weather to kill larvae and eggs of the little buggers.

DO NOT USE PESTICIDES OR EXTERMINATORS AROUND BIRDS, REPTILES, OR FISH !!! When exterminators say that their treatments are safe for animals, they usually mean mammals like cats and dogs where most of the testing is done. The metabolism of birds, reptiles, and fish are different and the chemicals can be very toxic to them. We had a company spray our yard in the back one time assuring us they would not get near the turtle pens and their chemicals do not harm pets. Next day, my tortoise Fritz was dead and my little box turtle Oakie died in my arms. I knew someone else with tiels and budgies who had their house treated inside, but housed their birds elsewhere for a few days; when they brought their birds home, all died within a week. So, we may have weeds in the yard and bugs in the house, but our little guys are safe.

There are other things you can do. We have little flying gnat like things and some things like fruit flies and fleas. We use the pest strips in the basement level where the turtles and tortoises are but not upstairs with the birds who are flighted. Upstairs we have some large wine bottles with about 1/4 cup of wine in them that we leave out around the kitchen and other places. The little buggers go in to the wine bottles maybe getting drunk or something, but they can't get out and drown. We also use roach hotels and ant hotels which take care of them without leaving chemicals out for the birds. With the drought in GA, a lot of bugs are coming into the house looking for water. Also be sure that you pick up dropped food in the bird's cage as this is something the bugs may be feeding on as well as fruit like banananas in the open, etc.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#166502 - 06/06/08 10:04 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: RB2sMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
When you have termites eating & destroying your house framing it's difficult to know what to do. We had our house treated a few weeks ago. Told the exterminator we had birds. He said he wouldn't take any chance having any animals around even though the stuff claims it's safe. We had them out of the house for the day, then kept them in a second story bedroom for the night. All appears to be well...

Gail
#166504 - 06/06/08 10:41 PM Re: bugs in the aviary and birds in the pool [Re: Bird Mom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Thank you Birdmom. I called my Vet and she said to keep the birds out of the house for a couple of days. That will be easy as we have a motor home to use as a second home.

I called the company who will do the job and she is having the Entomologist call be back as soon as he returns from lunch.

I went on line to read up on the ingredient and boy did I scare myself!!! confused The info said the ingredient was toxic and gave descriptions of what it could do. eek It is a chemical like Elliott said he used. I am guessing the dose was WAY above what any home treatment would require.

Anyway, I am on a quest now and will not leave any dead bug unturned. crazy
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny