Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165022 - 05/19/08 05:03 PM Guess what  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
In the fall and winter months I'm going to let Chewy grow his wings out. This will mean no out door excursions till spring and summer time when I get4 them trimmed again. That is if I decide to get them done. If he learns to fly and loves it so much I might just leave them.
But he oh so does love going outside so I would be torn but with wings I don't dare take him out without a harness, and he looks at me like I'm the nutty one trying to put it on him, *sigh* And I don't even know where it is now.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#165043 - 05/19/08 10:42 PM Re: Guess what [Re: Chewy]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm a big flighted fan (if you can take the extra precautions). If I were a 2 I would rather be flighted and have to contend with a harness for outdoors than not being able to fly. I feel that so much is taken away from these guys that keeping their flying abilities is a huge gift mentally and physically. : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165124 - 05/20/08 06:59 PM Re: Guess what [Re: Donnalee]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
I think from the bird's point of view, flighted is definately better. As Birt and I learn to trust each other more, I will give him more freedoms, including flight. I haven't bought Birt a harness yet, but I'm afraid of how the introduction will go. Hopefully he had one in his first home and loved it. If not...that is one scary beak. I've given up on getting Aya (green cheek conure) into a harness. (Not entirely, but definately taking a break) How am I ever going to get a too into a harness?

#165168 - 05/21/08 01:28 AM Re: Guess what [Re: jenscritters]  
Jackielu Offline
Jackielu  Offline

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I let Paco chew on it for a while before trying to put it on him. Then I had to study how the thing worked (lol). Once I figured out how it worked (while Paco was playing with it, sometimes we shared it) then he wasn't scared of it when I started putting it on him. He still likes 'too play with it.

I didn't get it on the first time I tried, but I did get one snap fastened. I figured that was a victory. It took several tries before the mission was successfully accomplished, but it DID happen.

The main thing is that it wasn't tramatic for him and he's not scared of it.

Now he stands on my lap like a little angel and lifts his wings so that I can put it on without hurting his feathers.

He's such a good boy.

#165318 - 05/22/08 05:07 AM Re: Guess what [Re: Jackielu]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
It would take alot of effort. Way more hands than my wife and I have together. And probably some blood loss on my part to get a harness on Tika. Only to have him surgically remove it like Houdini within a minute or so, and make sure it was not useable again in the process.

Tika was always clipped before we got him. We have not clipped him since then (4 years now). Because it was done so regularly he has come to take it as normal and has decided to try to do the clipping himself. he now destroys those exact flight feathers that were always clipped. He does not chew any other feathers. Only his flight feathers.

He has full wings but its like an umbrella with no skin, just the spokes. So I am spared ther harness with him. I am so wishing he will quit barbing those feathers and give me a chance to help him fly.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny