Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164982 - 05/19/08 06:13 AM Hormone Question..  
jonmorton Offline
jonmorton  Offline

Dayton, OH
I have a couple quick questions for ya'll.

My wife and I have had our M2 for about three years now. We also have an African Grey, and an Amazon (we rescued him about a year ago). All three birds live in a year around bird room that I built for them. It's about 16x18, three of the walls are big glass windows, and they have a big homemade play gym that they basically all hang out on. Their cages have been moved to the garage by the way, the bird room is now the cage. I feel like I'm rambling, I'm trying to give as much information as possible to help you guys get a vision smile

The M2 and Grey are both 4 years old, and the Amazon is about 15.

The M2 and Amazon are males and the Grey is a female.

The M2 and Amazon have become BEST BUDDIES. The includes a lot of the Amazon "preening" the M2 (this is a one sided relationship BTW, the M2 LOVES the attention but is giving no return favors) smile

My question is this: Will this help or hurt the Hormonal Problems that all Cockatoos go through? My wife and I concentrate very hard on the "no touching below the neck" rule. We've also found that now that he's part of a "flock" (meaning the other birds) that he's not seeing us as his mates and the Too aggression isn't as unpredictable as it used to be. We obviously give them all attention but try to limit it for this reason, we want him to concentrate on his relationships with his "flock"..

I'll stop now smile Any ideas?

Jon

#165083 - 05/20/08 04:04 AM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: jonmorton]  
jonmorton Offline
jonmorton  Offline

Dayton, OH
bump

#165085 - 05/20/08 04:24 AM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: jonmorton]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Sorry I missed this. All birds, not just the 'Toos go through hormonal seasons and how this new relationship between the two birds evolves, time will only tell. Monitor them very closely and never leave them out together, unsupervised.

Given a particular set of circumstances, birds can react unpredictably. That's great that they are becoming buddies - I've heard of less likely friendships but it is something that should never be taken for granted.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/20/08 04:27 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#165140 - 05/20/08 09:33 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: jonmorton]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Ya just never know how birds will react to one another. I would be careful with an M2 preening/getting preened a Grey or amazon cuz the M2 can do a lot of damage.

EM is right all birds go through some type of hormonal period and each bird may act/react differently.

IMO I would keep a watchful eye on them.

Also can all of your birds fly so that if an aggressive situation came up they could get away fast.

Your bird room sounds nice. smile

Do you have any pics?

#165144 - 05/20/08 10:17 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: rockinseattle]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
They have completely different feathers & the M2 being larger & stronger may accidently pull a blood feather or worse, watch carefully, don't leave them together alone out of your sight even for a minute......

#165152 - 05/20/08 11:26 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: gizzytoo]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Oh my goodness gizzytoo, where are all the feathers?

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165213 - 05/21/08 12:30 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: Donnalee]  
jonmorton Offline
jonmorton  Offline

Dayton, OH
I guess I should be more clear, all three of our birds LIVE out in this birdroom. They don't have any separate cages or anything like that, it's just a big jungle gym with different perches, etc.

My question is if the Amazon is ALWAYS preening the M2, is this still sexually frustrating him as it would if WE were petting below the head?

Jon

#165221 - 05/21/08 02:48 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: jonmorton]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Jon, anything is possible. Male cockatoos have been known to kill female cockatoos and even their mates if their advances are not returned.

Having 3 birds live in a cage free environment, in the same room is VERY dangerous without supervision 100% of the time. No cages? So while you are not a home and at night, they are all free, in the same room? If so, you're asking for big trouble.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#165225 - 05/21/08 04:03 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: EchosMom]  
jonmorton Offline
jonmorton  Offline

Dayton, OH
This is big trouble because of their safety with each other? I see birds in this kind of environment ALL OF THE TIME.. Whether it's the zoo, random bird aviaries, people on this board, etc. A lot of people on this board have aviaries that their birds all hang out in, you can't honestly tell me that they keep 100% supervision on them all of the time? Even if you are keeping them supervised an M2 "attack" happens in a split second.

Just me thinking out loud BTW smile

Jon

#165226 - 05/21/08 04:17 PM Re: Hormone Question.. [Re: jonmorton]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, because of safety with one another. You have a huge size disparity there. Typically zoos, etc. that house birds in large aviaries (not a birdroom) are kept with species their own kind and size. You won't (or shouldn't) find cockatoos, greys and amazons all kept together. And when/if they are, there will undoubtedly be casualities. Not a risk I'm willing to take or one that I recommend anyone else does.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/21/08 04:19 PM.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny