Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164920 - 05/18/08 07:32 PM Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
In another thread, MocBoy and Nancy, our moderator, were discussing Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). These can be very useful documents and easy for the average consumer to consult. They are mainly compiled for the people that work with the products in bulk form while in manufacture or storage and packaging. They will tell you how toxic a product can be and they are on the conservative side. They may say that a product causes eye or skin irritation on contact, for example. Birds are very much more sensitive to contaminants than we will ever be. Birds were never intended to be exposed to any of the stuff we normally use so caution is always the watchword.

To access a MSDS for any named substance, use the exact brand title and do a Web search (Google) for:

"MSDS, type the exact product name"

I am enclosing a link from Wikipedia that explains how these methods are different in several different large countries as we have a worldwide audience. Most countries are or will be participating in this program.

PS. I am aware that Wiki sites contain some questionable material so I am taking the word for these foreign country updates until such time as they are changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSDS

#165126 - 05/20/08 07:04 PM Re: Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) [Re: Charlie]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
Thank you for sharing this Charlie.

MSDSs are great. I've been looking at them to try to find appropriate welding rods or wire. You can call, write or fax companies and they will send you an MSDS for most of their products. I've had to get them for seemingly harmless stuff like window or all purpose cleaner for work.

#165205 - 05/21/08 09:03 AM Re: Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) [Re: jenscritters]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
Originally Posted By: jenscritters
Thank you for sharing this Charlie.

MSDSs are great. I've been looking at them to try to find appropriate welding rods or wire.

Jenscritters - has anything with the weld rod/wire suprised you on the MSDS? I may have weld to modify a purchased cage to fit in our motorhome and would like to know what you learned. I did not think of using the MSDS to check welding rods/wire.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny