Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164803 - 05/16/08 09:28 PM Cage Bound?  
Enavas Offline
Enavas  Offline

Hi there everyone. I recently aquire a 11 years old Goffin Cockatoo from a owner who didn't have the time to spend with him anymore. He will come out of his cage and sit on top of it and will stick his head out for head scratches, but he will not step up or allow anyone to pick him up from his cage. Once he is off of his cage then he will step up, but he seems very nervous when away from the cage and will be trying to get back to it. Does this mean he is cage bound since he has to be on or in his cage. I know cage bound usually refers to birds that are afraid to come out of the cage but I would think this is similar to it too. Also, right now I usually have to towel him at night to move him to a sleeping cage I got for him. My question is, should I just let him sleep in his current cage and not move him at night? The reason I move him at night is because we stay up late and his cage is in the living room. I hate to have to towel him every night just to move him. Any sugguestions would help. Thanks.

#164807 - 05/16/08 10:06 PM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Enavas]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
If you stay up late he needs to go to his sleep cage to allow him to get his beauty rest. Can you get him to step up on a perch by gently lifting it up against his chest just in front of his feet? I lucked out with Angel as she stepped up as soon as I got her.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164808 - 05/16/08 10:10 PM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Donnalee]  
Enavas Offline
Enavas  Offline

Nope. He will not step up at all while on or in his cage. Will only step up if he is away from the cage, but I feel that he is very nervous and afraid while away from the cage.

#164820 - 05/16/08 11:53 PM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Enavas]  
TaraRose Offline
TaraRose  Offline

Spokane, WA
Is there any way you could use a different room to do your nighttime activities so he can stay in his comfortable cage and sleep instead of having to move to the sleep cage every night? I have a goffins who is very phobic, similar to what you are describing but much worse. I had to make a lot of sacrifices when he came to live with me, including moving my nighttime activities to another room so he could have peace and quiet to sleep.

Sometimes ya just have to...the birds need to be the priority IMO

Tara and..
Goofy - goffins too
Kiwi - quaker
#164822 - 05/17/08 12:27 AM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: TaraRose]  
Enavas Offline
Enavas  Offline

You know what. That is a great idea. I didn't even think of it. I will do that tonight. Guess keeping the wife up is not as bad as keeping the bird LOL! Wait til she hears this mauhahahahaha. Thanks a bunch guys. Much appreciated.

#164831 - 05/17/08 03:14 AM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Enavas]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
What does he do when you try to get him to step up off of the cage? Also, how long have you had him? I would recommend at some point that you put on a long sleeve shirt with some towels underneath, stand on a stool so you are taller than him and put your arm up to him. I wouldn't do this until he's settled in some.
Does he go back into his cage willingly? While he's getting acclimated, can you move his cage into the other room instead of moving him to a sleep cage?

#164840 - 05/17/08 05:04 AM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: jenscritters]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

I am new here but we pried our rescued conure out of his cage in about 2 weeks by finding out what his favorite treat was then moved it further and further out of the cage. We placed where he could get it on the floor in a bowl about 15 ft from cage and made sure that we did NOT have nothing in between the cage and his getting back there as fast as he could! Soon he would start looking around the room and then eventually took from our hands, eventually he perched on our hands and we could see he was very comfy with us. We build his trust like this.. no more than a month later her was excellent and our best friend! I am not sure if this is a good way to work with a cockatoo, but figured I would tell you what I had tried.
About the sleep cage, I highly recommend this, we put our new rescued Razzle in her brand new HUGE refurbish and newly powder coated cage to sleep and it seems like she just plays more and is woken up more easily. My husband and I own a powder coating company here in Fla. The sleep cage is getting re colored To match the room we decided would be best for her to "sleep in" right now and at the moment I told him to make a rush job, sand blast it and hurry up! I do notice her energy level change, its almost like she wants to sleep on her play stand and play with all the interesting toys in her cage at night. I only plan on using the big cage from when I am not home for short periods of time and when I m cooking dinner and doing bath time and homework with daughter so she can play a bit..I dont want her to think it is mommy is leaving I am going to be put away..(I am gonna research a bit more), it will be her "play cage" the night cage I have has perch and water and some food but no toys she has 2 different play stands she is on during the day. Look up sleep cage here in the forums... you will see some great info!

Last edited by Razzle'sMommy; 05/17/08 05:07 AM.

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#164872 - 05/17/08 09:00 PM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Akoya Offline
Akoya  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Enavas,
Sounds like you need to do what I've just been doing with my newly adopted Umbrella cockatoo! She too had problems stepping up for me off of her cage just a little over a week or so ago. Retraining is often necessary with birds that have sadly been moved from home to home. I got the most wonderful advice and I'd like to share it with you. Go to your local store that sells lumber (lowes/home depot if available) Get a dial rod (I use poplar wood ones) that is about 4 feet long or so, with a thickness suitable for the size of your bird's grip. Cut this piece into two pieces, one being about 2.5 feet long or so, and another being around a foot. Show your bird these perches... let him touch them with his feet, test them with his beak slowly... he will be scared of them! Slowly let him build confidence (mine took patience 45 minutes or so) then try to get him to step up using the "step up" command pushing gently up on his chest above his legs. Use a perch in another quiet room to step up on.. cage not in sight. The long dial rod being like your hand, the shorter there in your other hand to gently guide him away biting or running up your arm. 5 seconds on the perch, 5 seconds on your dial rod perch.. give the step up command with stepping on the perch, and stepping on your dial rod. Praise him with lots of enthusiasm every time he steps up. Pet him as a reward on his head once in a while. Do this twice a day 15 mins a time. My Umbrella is stepping up like never before, our relationship this week has grown by leaps and bounds! I hope this helps!

Love like there's no tomorrow... Live like its heaven on earth.
#165189 - 05/21/08 04:19 AM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: Akoya]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I put wheels on the bottom of the "Phobics" cage so it could be moved to the quiet place..... and he still gets to keep his cage.

He now also loves "the trip" to the quiet place. Perfect cue for him to climb in on his own at the destination. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#165191 - 05/21/08 04:37 AM Re: Cage Bound? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
I like Tika'sDad's idea. I have had a cage-bound U2 for about a year and 1/2 and she wouldn't come out at all at first. Phobic birds need lots of patience, and need to be able to learn to trust again. I would avoid towelling if possible, and if the cage is the only place your bird feels comfortable I would not force him to sleep in a different cage right away.

It took me almost a year to get Cassie used to her travel cage by clicker-training her into it, and now 3 days a week she gets her daily ration of seeds in her carrier so that she thinks of it as a fun place. Maybe you could use a similar approach for conditioning your 'too into a sleep cage (and to step up), but I think it may be too soon. Remeber your bird is in a new place where his cage is the only secure object he knows. Definitely look into clicker training-it's a miracle worker for phobic birds. Bird-click on yahoo groups is a wealth of free training info. Good luck!

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny