Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14387 - 02/11/05 12:54 AM great article on feather picking....  
lroe Offline
lroe  Offline

Houston, Texas
I just picked up February copy of Birdtalk...it has a great artical on feather picking...Miss Taylor is picking her chest and my bird vet told me to get this issue...I had her complete bloodwork and a check-up and she is very healthy...I've changed out her toys (she loves new toys and has never been afraid of new ones)...I bath her 4 times a week with only water...We are thinking she may be harmonial even thou she is only 2 years old...This has only been going on for 3 weeks...It started one week after we returned from a weeks vacation...We use the same bird sitter and keep her on her same schedule...my husband's partner is at the house all day and gives her almonds at treat time...we keep a radio playing...The only change is she is not covered at night and her cage is next to a window and maybe she is seeing a shadow on the wall at night so we have arranged to have a neighbor come in and cover her at 7:30 p.m...the bird sitter comes at 7:00 a.m. and stays for 1 hour and plays with her out of the cage sitting where I always sit with her...The last 2 days I have not seen any new feathers pulled out...my fingers are crossed....Linda

#14388 - 02/11/05 04:37 AM Re: great article on feather picking....  
Laya & Buster Offline
Laya & Buster  Offline

Canada
Thank you for the imput on "Bird Talk". My Buster keeps picking his Pit Feathers and I have been racking my brain on how to bloody well stop the behavior, thinking that he was very depressed cause his past owner passed away, or that he was with someone different...I don't know. I will definately go and pick this issue up and have a read!

#14389 - 02/11/05 04:22 PM Re: great article on feather picking....  
lroe Offline
lroe  Offline

Houston, Texas
This artical is really great...if you have a picker or don't have one its really great information...I never knew how picking a feather releases a calming effect in the bird when under stress...it now makes sense to me why they would do it and how important it is that we try to stop it...other than just missing a few feathers...I would love Miss Taylor if she was bald...I just want her to feel safe and loved and secure...I hope you guys will get the Birdtalk for Feb...I'm calling my vet today to thank her for letting me know about it...Linda

#14390 - 02/11/05 04:52 PM Re: great article on feather picking....  
birdheartsoul Offline
birdheartsoul  Offline

Maryland
I am helping a friend with her moluccan that feather picks. So far so good with my own toos they have never picked. She has had her on a antidepressant, hormones, et. al.
We are making an experiment I am keeping her for a month. So I hope I can help Coco. I took in an african grey and I managed to make her stop picking. I actually slept next to her perch and was with her for about 15 days and she stopped. But in this case I know is going to be tough.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny