Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164547 - 05/12/08 09:54 PM was thinking about buying a too, thiking otherwise  
Mellissande Offline
Mellissande  Offline

Florida, USA
I was in a pet shop that I frequent every few days, They take great care of their animals and are usually trying to sell animals for their owners who cannot keep them anymore.
they recently got in a beautiful 5 year old umbrella too named buddy. He seems a tad bit timid about most people, but when I stand there I just talk to him for a little bit, they let him stand atop his cage sometimes, and he walks away from them when they come close, but if I stand there, he asks to be picked up. I decided to do a little bit of research before adopting a precious beauty. I came upon this site and am unsure as to whether I am at the point in my life where I can take on the lifelong responsibility... you see I am an army wife, I would like to know how toos take moving when they are still with the same family. I know I am up to being able to take care of a too in every other aspect, as I am unable to have children, and unemployed due to back problems. I would like to hear from other families with toos, and if possible families who have had to move around with their toos... I have experience dealing with abused conures, and would gladly rise to the priveledge of taking an abused or abandoned too into my family. if possible, I would love any feedback also personal experiences would be a great learning tool for me.
Thank you very much for helping me with this
Proud Army Wife

what man doesn't understand man fears and what man fears man destroys.
#164548 - 05/12/08 10:34 PM Re: was thinking about buying a too, thiking otherwise [Re: Mellissande]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Welcome Melissande!!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with MYTOO's Agenda...It will save on misunderstandings in the future.

It is always wonderful to meet someone who want's to do their research BEFORE taking in a Cockatoo!! Thank you!

If you use the SEARCH mode of the board you will find tons of posts about moving with a TOO. I will mention: Have you thought about if your family was to be stationed overseas? In some places you may take your pet with you - but you can't bring it back into the USA when your tour is over. Just something to think about.

Continue to ask questions...we all learn by eachother's experiences here!

Once again, WELCOME!" and thank you for wanting to rescue a TOO.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#164553 - 05/13/08 01:37 AM Re: was thinking about buying a too, thiking otherwise [Re: Brandy's mom]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
It's great that you are considering adopting a too, especially one that may have special needs. Just remember that buying a returned bird and adopting a rescued bird are two different things. Giving money to a pet store for a bird has negative effects on the future of other birds.

Please make sure you do your research and if possible, visit the rescue and get a good idea what U2s actually sound like. There is no good way to describe it and no way to be really prepared for it. Make sure you read about U2s and what makes them the parrot most often found in rescues or being resold. They are wonderful birds, but they have a lot of needs that can be a bit overwhelming.

As far as being a military family with a U2, I am active duty Air Force. I got Birt, but he loves my husband. Actually, my husband is his best buddy and he ignores me except to try to "love" me. Brandy's mom has a good point about the possibility of you going overseas with your husband. It may not be a concern for you, but it's something to consider. I'm not sure how long your husband has been in the military, but will he be retiring soon? That's a major life change, just consider if your new plans will still be too friendly. If you want to travel the world, getting a too probably isn't a good idea.

I think that toos take moving well enough that I wouldn't consider frequent moves a deal breaker. Each bird is unique, but any creature that has a life span as long as a too has to be adaptable. It's very important that you start socializing the bird and get it used to changes being good as soon as you are able to. When will depend on the bird's history and personality.

Another thing to consider is what you will do if you have to go somewhere quickly while your husband is away. You will have to have a plan at any base you go to. Being military, we don't usually have family members or old friends around to help us out. It takes a while to meet people and build up a support network.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny