Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164123 - 05/07/08 06:31 PM Identity Theft  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
I awoke this morning to find 5 fraudulent charges thus far on our debit Visa that is linked to our bank account. The fraudulent charges arose out of online shopping, likely for bird toys, as that is primarily what I buy online.

I wanted to alert everyone to use caution when visiting the businesses I purchased from - NOT that the businesses are fraudulent, but to be CAREFUL when ordering and perhaps use a card that isn't linked to your checking account or identifies you personally. These businesses are completely legitimate and wonderful; just wanted to let all of you know and I will also be notifying all of these businesses that their secure sites were possibly hacked...

Here are the sites I purchased from in the last month:

American Federation of Aviculture
The Companion Parrot Quarterly
Dr. Foster and Smith
Kings Cages
Just Tomatoes
Windy City Parrot
The Squawk Store

UGH...what a hassle. Been all morning at the bank...now calling credit bureaus. Any more suggestions??

See our flock at www.5beaks.blogspot.com
#164124 - 05/07/08 06:45 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Contact any one of the three credit bureaus and tell them what's going on. I had to do this and they have a monitering system in place to watch your accounts.

#164126 - 05/07/08 06:47 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: Elliott]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Sorry to hear that, what a pain in the butt.. Will the bank work with you on this?

#164129 - 05/07/08 06:51 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: Elliott]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
Think about where you recently used the card besides online purchases. A dishonest server at a restaurant has plenty of time to copy down all the information they would need to buy things online before giving you back your card.

#164130 - 05/07/08 06:53 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: rockinseattle]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Weird. I just had fraudulent charges on my bank account also. I've had this account since I was little and had to close it last week frown It's been a pain in the ass, because I have a few ACH payments set up. I forgot about my savings account with a different bank that automatically withdrawels, now my acct is locked for THAT so I have to call and AHHHHHH! Drives me crazy.

For some reason theives like my bank account. I've had my purse stolen twice (once from a trunk, one from my sister's apt SOMEONE CAME IN when I was sleeping). I am just glad they steal my credit cards/bank cards instead of my ipod or something. At least I get my $ back for my bank stuff.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#164131 - 05/07/08 06:54 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: sandiego]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Oh yeah, my latest fraud charges were from my bank account # and routing number. So, everyone make sure your checks don't get out! These scammers did, like, a fake check online and typed in my signature!!!!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#164135 - 05/07/08 07:27 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
It was online, because two of the fradulent charges came from an individual setting up website domains. We called the company and also did a "whois" search (I think computer nerds will know this) online and found that whomever placed the charges had my name, address, and phone number. UGH.

So, I have placed a cancellation on my bank card, and signed up for Life Lock. I also filed a police report. We'll see what other charges come through before I have to close our entire checking account.

Feeling completely sick at heart! I hope the hacking didn't come from a web site, but how could it not have? I basically only buy from bird websites, too...

Sonya K.

#164136 - 05/07/08 07:28 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Oh yes, Lifelock basically places a "freeze" on all credit activity. Is this enough, or will I have to contact the 3 credit bureaus?

#164144 - 05/07/08 09:48 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Someone called my private cell phone number one day just less than a year ago, trying to "phish" for information. I called LifeLock RIGHT after I got that call and locked down my credit. My folks introduced me to a great feature of Discover cards. They have a "Secure Online Account Numbers" program. You can read about it HERE. I know many CC & bank cards cover losses up to a certain point, but I think Discover's program is a really clever tool to help keep fraud from happening in the first place. Who needs to deal with that headache?

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#164148 - 05/07/08 10:20 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: hellobaby]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I am not certain, but I believe I called one of the 3 credit bureau's and they relayed the information to the other 2. I know I only had to call one company and they put a lock on my credit. I still think about this often because they stole my social security card. I make sure to check my credit every year to make sure there are no problems. I recently got approved for a great credit card, so it doesn't seem like there has been anything going on yet.

I'll have to check into LifeLock! Never heard of it!

Oh yeah, when I called the # on the "check" (my bank scans all checks and it shows up online) it of course didn't say the company name, but to leave a message, then says "mailbox full". GRRR!! Why can't people just get JOBS AND MAKE THEIR OWN MONEY! It seems to take a lot of time to steal $.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#164152 - 05/07/08 10:39 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: sandiego]  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
When I signed up for Life Lock, they contacted the credit bureaus for me and placed a "freeze" on my credit. I just hope more charges aren't pending, as basically they can be hanging out in cyberspace for 3 more days per my bank.

What I would like to know is HOW this happened? All of the sites I shop at use secure servers!!

#164158 - 05/07/08 11:09 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I am not sure how it happened, the bank does an investigation, though. I hope your bank account is on FREEZE. Right now, mine can't have any withdrawels but I can make deposits (my paychecks, and tax refunds, etc.)

Someone could have stumbled upon your number or one of the websites was hacked and ALL the "stored" numbers were charged.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#164262 - 05/09/08 05:13 AM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Well, well, well - I just received the following email from "ENCOM" telling me that my recent order w/King's Cages has been cancelled.

Quote:
Order number XXXXx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx <removed for protection> has been cancelled. More information concerning this may be in the order notes which can be found by following this link:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <deleted link for protection>

N.B. Orders can be cancelled by the customer during purchase or staff member. If you wish to raise a new order please feel free to do so.

This email was sent from http://www.XXXXXXX.html <this was a live link also so I deleted for protection.

What a bunch of BS. I haven't placed an order w/King's in over a year!! Of course I didn't follow the link - but had I recently placed an order w/Kings Cages, I may have suckered in before realizing it. I guess making money off a bird's back is becoming an increasingly lucrative business...now credit/debit card thieves are getting in on the action. I checked my bank and Paypal accounts - all is well.

Since King's was on Sonya's list, I thought I would share this w/everyone here. mad

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/09/08 06:08 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#164270 - 05/09/08 11:15 AM Re: Identity Theft [Re: EchosMom]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I just hate scammer/spammers (and I don't use the word "hate" often). The best way to combat them is to inform people (which this discussion is doing). When we get spammer emails, we forward the email (with full header information) to the company the spammers are misrepresenting themselves to be. At least then the company can inform their buyers that if they receive anything like that, and think there is a problem, to inform the company DIRECTLY - NOT by following a link from within an email. I urge anyone who receives such emails to do so. I usually also forward the email to the URL/site owner where the phishing page is parked, because usually the fake pages are set up by hacking into a legitimate site. The site admin can then nuke the page from their site directory.

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#164272 - 05/09/08 12:02 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: hellobaby]  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
EchosMom,

Are you going to call Kings and tell them? I am working my way down the list notifying all of the vendors I have recently purchased from....this gives me reason to believe that Kings may have indeed been the culprit. I will call them this weekend, as I work today.

Thus far, there have been 5 transactions that are fradulent...2 to a web hosting company in Arizona (which I immediately called), and 3 charges for a company in Korea (which is a fake company). What was scary is that the company in Arizona had my credit card info, plus my name and address! I am so thankful that I caught it in time so that hopefully no websites were established in MY name billing people for services that were never rendered. We checked all 3 websites that this "person" bought, and they are now canceled, as is my name from the "whois" terminal (computer nerds like my hubby will understand this nomenclature).

Thank you, Echosmom, for giving me some closure as I still feel so very violated. I will call Kings Cages at my earliest convenience. Funny, we have 4 cages from them, but when we bought them, we completed the purchase over the phone (which, at the time, frightened me more than a secure, online transaction)...

Sonya

#164280 - 05/09/08 03:05 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: SonyaK]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I forwarded the email to King's and included the full email headers. I don't know that the headers will help much because it is clear shows that originating IP was a filter. But hopefully someone with extensive computer knowledge knows how to see past the filter.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#164281 - 05/09/08 03:18 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: EchosMom]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Echo-
Sounds like a phishing scam to me! I get these all the time from supposedly pay pal that my transaction for (something very costly) has cleared. I just turn it into pay pal and they always reply back that it is a spoof e-mail.

Never click on the link given in an e-mail to go to the website to confirm your information and finish the transaction.

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#164288 - 05/09/08 03:49 PM Re: Identity Theft [Re: mandymmr]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: mandymmr
Echo-
Sounds like a phishing scam to me!

No doubt about it.

#164356 - 05/10/08 01:46 AM Re: Identity Theft [Re: EchosMom]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
My bank is very good about filtering the fraudulent charges. I'm not sure how they do it, but I see the transaction as "pending", then before it clears, it's gone. The first time I saw it I called and asked to dispute the charge. They said I don't have to unless it actually clears. I've never had a fraudulent charge clear yet. I wonder if they have a database of scammers.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny