Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164117 - 05/07/08 02:46 PM Hints and reminders for house move please!!!  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
First off, in about 3 weeks I will be offline for however long it takes to get set up again, so dont worry if I disappear! Im downsizing hugely housewise, as I am having a year out from fostering after 6 years, and feel, to be honest, thst Ive taken all I can take for a while. Therefor, for the forseeable future, I do not need such a big house and such enourmous financial outgoings associated with the house. (on average, 1000 pounds pcm) So, if you can think of any 'reminders' and 'must do's' regarding a house move, fling 'em at me! Theres always something that gets forgotten in these situations and then it sneaks up and bites you on the bum when you least expect it, lol, and I really dont want any more nasty surprises!
Workwise, what I would love most would be to work with animals, maybe in a vets, or at a rescue sanctuary like the RSPCA. Even a pet supplies store, where I can advise, and guide people considering the purchase of ANY animal as a pet. I dont think Id last two minutes in a shop that sells animals, Id get the sack Im sure for pushing customers away.... BUT, even that could have its bonuses, how often are people who work in animal sales HONEST with the customer???? But, I know Id end up getting the push, or going mad with despair, so thats probably not even an option. I'll just take my time for now, I can do anything workwise while I decide where my future lies.
So thats where I am now, and the reason I may disappear for a while! Ahh well, at least life here is never boring, thi how very nice it would be if it was, LOL!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#164149 - 05/07/08 10:24 PM Re: Hints and reminders for house move please!!! [Re: wishfull]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I think people in animal sales might be HONEST to their knowledge. They truly might not know that the cute cockatoo for sale can be loud for HOURS AND HOURS if not around people, or eats the whole entire house in an hour, or whatever else.

I don't have any special advise for the move! I can't remember anything particular I did for when I moved in October to a new place. But, you have more than just one birdie smile

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#164187 - 05/08/08 11:01 AM Re: Hints and reminders for house move please!!! [Re: sandiego]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Hi Sandiego, I think you may have a fair point there about animal sales people spouting what they have been taught, what they believe. Plus, I couldnt work in a facility anyway where they often have many birds, that does actually slip my mind believe it or not, then the red warning sign jumps up and reality comes back. I do only have one little birdy now, Philip the budgie; I shouldnt even have him, but then sometimes I think that yes, I should. he keeps me from the brink.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#164188 - 05/08/08 12:30 PM Re: Hints and reminders for house move please!!! [Re: wishfull]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Anne Best of luck with your move. It's been years since I've had to move so I don't remember any thing in particular that we may have forgotten. I was always so annal about packing. I would start weeks ahead of time and clean everything. Then I would pack and label each box with exactly what was in it and which room it was going into.
On the idea of a good job for you. Do they have doggie daycares around you? It's big here in the states. All you really do is play with the dogs during the day. Of course there's lots of poo and tinkle to wipe up. I did it for awhile as a second job. So many adorable pups. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#164351 - 05/10/08 01:31 AM Re: Hints and reminders for house move please!!! [Re: BE2Cassie]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
While you're packing and moving is a great time to take pictures of everything for insurance purposes. It's also a good time to downsize the stuff that's in the boxes we haven't unpacked from 3 moves ago. While you're packing, have a place for stuff to toss, stuff to donate, stuff to store and stuff to give to friends or family. I usually end up with a pile of stuff to give back to it's owner also. We tend to aquire stuff that family members leave after a visit.

I've also thought about working in a pet store, but I haven't found one I'd like to work in. We don't have any that don't sell animals. I've considered working in those that don't take care of their animals just so the animals get taken care of and the people buying them get correct information. I think I would really make some people mad that way. At one store I go into sometimes I can just about hear the manager groan when I start talking to people looking at birds. They have no desire to properly care for them or give people the right information. I've stopped a lot of people from buying unnecessary and potentially dangerous products.

There's another store that I really like. It's privately owned. They sell birds, even large ones occasionally, but I think that the more I'm in there, the more the owner starts to reconsider selling at least the medium and large birds. He loves it when I talk to other customers, even if it stops him from making a sale. Lately he's been asking and taking my advice as well. When I was in there one day talking to another customer that had just inherited 3 birds, the other customer asked about their diet. I told him that what they need and told him about some great resources, we also talked about toys. The next time I came in, I noticed that the store owner had changed the diets of the birds and also added different types of toys.

I'm sorry for rambling. My point was that many corporate owned stores don't want employees that are knowledgeable because they lose sales that way. Some local stores are that way as well, but there are occasionally those that genuinely care and just don't know better.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny