Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163809 - 05/04/08 06:48 AM Plucking  
Dallas Offline
Dallas  Offline

Henderson Nv
I have a question about plucking. Dallas has plucked a good part of her feathers out of her chest. She was like this when I got her. One of my employees said that her feathers will not come back because there is no quil. It is just skin. Is this true? I sure hope not. I would love to see her get her feathers back.
Thanks

#163815 - 05/04/08 07:22 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Dallas it all depends on whether or not the follicle was damaged beyond regrowth. You will have to wait and see and discourage further plucking. Search plucking up top to see what you can do to prevent it and if all else fails lots of users on here are having huge success with making a little vest out of t-shirt material. Good luck!

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#163819 - 05/04/08 08:02 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
Dallas Offline
Dallas  Offline

Henderson Nv
Poor Dallas, she would be the laughing stock of the flock if I HAD to make her a little vest. I couldn't sew to save a life. So hopefully it won't come to that.

#163822 - 05/04/08 09:17 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
1wingwonder Offline
Lives Here
1wingwonder  Offline
Lives Here

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Maybe you have a picture you could post? If there has been no long term follicle damage there is hope for Dallas to experience feather return, to what degree only time will tell. Sometimes it never changes. Has your family witnessed plucking activity this past month?
You should have your avian vet test for specific medical issues such as vitamin deficiencies or illness associated with plucking. Then look to behavioral concerns such as anxiety, boredom, etc. in the search box above.

By the way no sewing involved in tying on a vest cut from a t-shirt!! cool

Whatever you choose, try not to draw too much attention to a plucking behavior or solution.
Our 'toos thrive on the drama that gives them our undivided attention.
Instead remember to always focus & praise Dallas on any self play, a good "toy work over", or a preening session that ended without plucking.

IMO: Keeping any bird well hydrated & misted, more so as new feathers grow, in is very important.
Captive homes are usually quite dry. Our birds live in captivity. These birds will pluck because they can & it can pop up at any given time to anyone's bird. Good luck with it.

#163844 - 05/04/08 05:41 PM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Originally Posted By: Dallas
Poor Dallas, she would be the laughing stock of the flock if I HAD to make her a little vest.

Ahhh, but you never know unless you try. Some birds are really proud of their "accessories".

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#163894 - 05/05/08 10:17 AM Re: Plucking [Re: hellobaby]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
Our boy Cookie wears socks, simular to the sock buddy.

He has coloured ones, striped ones, funky ones and he thinks that he is really special!

He has no folicles on his chest and plucks any thing around his wound that may grow and cover it.

The socks don't totally stop him but it's better than nothing and they keep him warm!!

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#163967 - 05/06/08 05:55 AM Re: Plucking [Re: 1wingwonder]  
Dallas Offline
Dallas  Offline

Henderson Nv
I have not witnessed her plucking. She does a lot preening. Now to day though was the first time I saw a feather in her cage. It must have been a blood feather cause it had blood on it. I would love to post pictures but have no clue how to do it. Dallas drinks alot of water. Especially if I put it in a dish. She will drink so much that she poops water, so we try to avoid water in a dish. And of course living in Vegas, very very very dry.

#163981 - 05/06/08 07:11 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
If you don't have water in a dish then how does your too get its drinking water? She might be drinking so much water from a dish because she is very dehydrated. try leaving the water dish. once she becomes properly hydrated the watery poop should stop.

If the air is really dry the new feathers coming in could be very very itchy which can lead to her pulling out new feathers to make the itching stop. Try misting and or bathing her on a regular basis. You could even try mixing in some aloe vera juice (not the gel, its too thick) which you can get it at a health food store. Ive heard of people mixing it in at concentrations as high as 1 part juice 3 parts water. This will soothe the skin and hopefully reduce itching.

#163987 - 05/06/08 08:05 AM Re: Plucking [Re: ralphsdad]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
I would be leaving a water dish in there 24/7 they only drink what they need!!! As ralphsdad said I would be misting every day and see if this improves things.

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#163994 - 05/06/08 11:36 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dirtpilot]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Water should always be available. A well hydrated bird can tolerate cold and heat better. Water keeps the skin from drying to much, causing itching. Water keeps the blood flowing smoothly. Water keeps all the bodies organs working right. Humans and animals can survive without food much longer than without water.

#164050 - 05/06/08 10:36 PM Re: Plucking [Re: Elliott]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
When I got Angel her chest was plucked naked! I got her in January and her first pin feathers started comming in April. She has several pin feathers on her chest now PTL! I think Dallas has a good chance of feathers comming back. Be sure to keep lots of wood to chew and toys to keep her busy. I have a warm air humidifier in the room 24/7. I give her fresh bottled water with the liquid vitamins in it everyday.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164100 - 05/07/08 06:14 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Donnalee]  
Dallas Offline
Dallas  Offline

Henderson Nv
Okay I think I must have left out that she has a water bottle attached to the side of her cage. She IS NOT with out water. I'm not that heartless...lol When I got her Amy told me NOT TO give her water in a dish. Only give it to her from the water bottle. Well at work I don't have a cage for her. She just sits on a play perch. So I have the water dish on it. And when she drinks out of it she just drinks and drinks and drinks. She does drink out of her water bottle at home. So I'm thinking the reason she's drinking so much from the dish is because it is new to her. Who knows. But I wanted to clear up some misunderstanding. Sorry about that.

#164180 - 05/08/08 05:37 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
TaraRose Offline
TaraRose  Offline

Spokane, WA
I just wanted to add that excessive drinking could be the first signs of an underlying medical issue like diabetes or liver/renal disease. Birds usually don't just drink a lot because the dish is new. Has Dallas seen a vet??

Tara and..
Goofy - goffins too
Kiwi - quaker
#164182 - 05/08/08 07:02 AM Re: Plucking [Re: TaraRose]  
Dallas Offline
Dallas  Offline

Henderson Nv
Yes she has been twice now. She does not drink excessivly out of her bottle. She only drinks alot when you put it in a dish. It took her about a week to finish the bottle. But that day when she drank out of the dish she just kept drinking. I am suppose to take her back to get her weighed.

#164184 - 05/08/08 07:30 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Dallas]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Check, clean and refill your water bottle every day. It may be malfunctioning:

Quote:
Deprivation of water can also have fatal results. The most common reason for this happening is due to a water bottle malfunctioning. If the delivery tube's ball sticks, or if a bird stuffs an object into the tube, effectively blocking it, a bird will be deprived of water. If an owner doesn't check that all water bottles are working every day, or if it is not noticed that the water level in the bottle is not going down, it may be days before an owner recognizes a problem. Rarely, the unthinkable happens and a bird's water bowl may go unfilled for days, or the bird may empty the bowl, which goes unnoticed, resulting in fatal dehydration. Most birds will die if water is withheld for three days, unless lots of moisture-laden foods are fed.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/topten.html

#164189 - 05/08/08 12:33 PM Re: Plucking [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Just to be safe with Cassie who uses a water bottle I always keep a water bowl in her cage also. I figure this way she is always sure to have a clean water supply available. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#164235 - 05/08/08 10:45 PM Re: Plucking [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I should clarify: I mean bottled water in a dish because I'm scared to death of water from a tap--you just never know what is in it. I myself wouldn't use a bottle to serve water solely because I would worry that they aren't gettting enough. Maybe she is not getting enough water out of her water bottle and that is why she goes nuts when it is served in a dish.

Last edited by Donnalee; 05/08/08 10:48 PM.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164256 - 05/09/08 02:44 AM Re: Plucking [Re: Donnalee]  
jenscritters Offline
jenscritters  Offline

Texas
Does Dallas get different treats when she is on the perch? Birt gets peanut butter every night. After the peanut butter he will drink a ton of water, but only if I've just cleaned the dish. If I cleaned the dish even an hour or so earlier, he will just drink what he needs to wash down the peanut butter. I was just thinking that maybe if Dallas gets different treats when she's on the perch, maybe she's trying to wash down the different taste or texture. I agree that if you're going to use a water bottle, you should have a water dish also. Dishes and bottles also need to be cleaned daily. They can grow bacteria pretty easily. Also, with daily cleaning you will know right away if the bottle is malfunctioning.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny