Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157463 - 03/11/08 11:19 AM Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD  
Mr. Max Offline
Mr. Max  Offline

Hi All,

Background information............

I used to have an adopted baby Sulpher crested Too named cocky. He shared an aviary with 2 ring necks and 2 bugees. Cocky did not grow back any feathers after his first major molt and the vet diagnosed him with PBFD and though that he was infected at birth. Unfortunately due to the disease taking a turn for the worse, (excessive bleading and secondary infection), we sadly agreed to the Vet's recommendation to euthanise him. He was a happy little camper though he was in pain and it was a sad decision but it was the best for him as he was suffering too much.

This was some 18 months ago. I still have the 2 ringnecks and 2 budgees. Although these 4 birds have come into contact with Cocky, they have not developed any symptoms in the last 18 months. They are all tame, live in an outdoor flight and come into the house often for interaction time.

I have now just adopted a 10 yr old male sulpher crested too named MAX (He calls himself Mr. Max). He lived with a couple who are now retired and travelling a lot and cannot look after him. He is a healthy bird and in the few days I have had him, has already developed a bond with my wife and daughter [he is still not too sure about me :(]

After Cocky passed, I fully disinfected his cage with strong bleach and his cage has been sitting in the sun for the past 18 months. I discarded all perches, litter and toys. I again disinfected the cage with strong bleach before bringing Max in. All perches and litter are new.

Now my questions............

1. I am worried about Max getting the aweful disease from virus partickes hiding somewhere.. What can I do to make sure he is safe.

2. Can the ringnecks or budgees be carriers of the disease and pass on to Max? I intent to keep the too and the other birds separate. However, because they come into the house at different times, am I taking a risk?

any pointers / advise to insure Max's safety would be much appreciated.

#157473 - 03/11/08 03:06 PM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: Mr. Max]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I am very sorry to hear of Cocky's passing to this dreaded disease and congratulations on Mr. Max.

Have you asked your avian vet the questions you are posing here? That would be the first place I would start.

Here is a link on PBFD that explains how it can be transmitted.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/PBFD.htm

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#157517 - 03/11/08 11:39 PM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Also did you have your avian vet test your other birds to see if they are carriers? Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#157562 - 03/12/08 03:28 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: BE2Cassie]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Sorry for your loss.

I would talk to a certified avian vet about this disease and have all of your other birds tested and checked out.

Here is some info on PBFD.
http://www.geocities.com/~calliefeather/pbfd.html
http://www.epah.net/birds/pbfd.html
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/birds/diseases/pbfd.html

#157727 - 03/13/08 09:21 PM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: rockinseattle]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Bleach kills most viruses, but you can't be positive that it will die. Most viruses also cannot survive 18 months without a host cell.

I just found an article that I'm going to read through when I get home to see. Chances are you have to wash it first with an antibacterial soap to remove any organic material that might be protecting the virus, then soak in bleach for 5-10 minutes. I'll repost in a few hours!

here is the link, it is in .pdf format: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversi...sinfectants.pdf

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#157731 - 03/13/08 10:01 PM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: belle-ville]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Ok I read through the article which says that you must wash all of the potentially infected articles first with antibacterial soap then soak in high-concentration (i would just do full strength) bleach for 10-60 minutes in order to kill the virus. It is very stable in the environment and can stay alive at temperatures up to 90 degrees Celsius! It looks like you might be able to bake your perches and other non-flammable, non-meltable items in your oven for a an hour at greater than 200 degrees Fahrenheit and it will kill the virus bodies! You can cross reference to that article, it seems to be from the Australian government.

I would throw away bowls, water dishes, stuff like that that the bird will be mouthing a lot, just to be on the safe side!

Good luck!

Last edited by belle-ville; 03/13/08 10:06 PM. Reason: making sense lol

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#157747 - 03/14/08 12:18 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: belle-ville]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
wow. Thanks for your research. Good to know.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#157757 - 03/14/08 03:15 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: spinnyspoo]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
No problem! Viruses are tricky little buggers.

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#157781 - 03/14/08 04:44 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: belle-ville]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
If the bowls/water dishes are stainless steel you could just drop them in boiling water.

#159669 - 04/01/08 05:42 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: ralphsdad]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
You definitely could, just would have to boil for a good time (10-60 minutes).

-Amanda

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#159672 - 04/01/08 05:59 AM Re: Help Please - Disinfecting cage to rid PBFD [Re: belle-ville]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
http://www.geocities.com/~calliefeather/pbfd.html

make sure to read the articles----very informative as far as disinfecting ... and how the virus can embed itself into the environment (for instance, bet you didn't consider dust that may have made its way to light sockets, air ducts...)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny