Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#149990 - 01/07/08 09:38 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
Mystic's Mommy Offline
Mystic's Mommy  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida

Kim & Lilly - OH MY GOODNESS!!

the TOO's are just too smart. Mine's not even 3 yet, but she keeps figuring out how to get out - here's a video of her escape:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MCn-847eYQI

at least, I think that's the link ("Mystic Escapes")

She even figured out that the side doors work the same way!

I'm not sure a Caribeaner (sp?) would work for Mystic..since some of the toys come on similar clasps and she's figured out how to detach those. She takes the toy to the bottom of her cage to destroy it there. She also puts the blocks in her water to soak for a bit - I guess it makes it easier for her to shred? You should see how the colored blocks turn her water...every day (every 4 hours!) her water was a different color! I try to avoid the richly, brightly colored wood now...just not right the amount of dye in those things!!

#150014 - 01/08/08 12:55 AM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Birdiemommy]  
nehumanuscrede Offline
nehumanuscrede  Offline

Texas
In a previous cage, I had to use padlocks to keep Goober from
getting out. Like Kim's post, I came home to find Goober playing
with a keyboard letter. A glance at my keyboard found every single
key missing / pulled off the main board. :|

Several other items were destroyed as well.

While I no longer have locking issues with the CBD cage, allow me
to offer a tip for those still using padlocks.

Do NOT leave the key in the lock.

They are smart enough to turn / open it if they can reach it.
They are also strong enough to snap the key off making it
difficult for you to remove.

( Learned that lesson the hard way once upon a time smile

#150046 - 01/08/08 03:07 AM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Phyliss... the scissor snap was explained to me (by a Vietnam Vet) to be unescapable. Brewster somehow opens them. I think I need to go back to a padlock & key!

Gail
#150049 - 01/08/08 03:22 AM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Bird Mom]  
DanaHalv Offline
DanaHalv  Offline

West Point, Utah
http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0731...&mv_pc=r111
Phyllis, I am so sorry for not getting back sooner, I just don't check these everyday. I looked on the internet for a picture of what I am talking about and this is is. I hope it works for you. You can purchase these in any sporting goods store. On the first post I missed spelled carabiner mtn climbers clip. Just don't get the screw on types, because the bird will unscrew. but mine can't open the kind in the picture.

I hope this helps and they are way easy to get off.

PS, the normal lock is on the cage and I don't put these clips on the lock. I clip these on the door itself to the cage. does this make sense?

Last edited by DanaHalv; 01/08/08 03:28 AM.
#150122 - 01/08/08 04:33 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: DanaHalv]  
Phyllis Offline
Phyllis  Offline

Idaho, Murphy, USA
Ouch, that is the first type of lock I used and he ruined it. Maybe it was a cheaper model because you would think if a mtn climber used them to hold a persons body weight that a cockatoo wouldn't be able to break it.

After watching the You Tube videos and reading how destructive they can be I locked his doors with the padlock. He doesn't like it but it's probably because he can't get them off. I hung two keys on the wall with a note to explain this is the key for the padlock on the cage. So if something should happen he will be able to be rescued.

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and the videos really bring reality to lite. Seeing is believing! Wow

Once was, Once is, Happy Once Again!

Phyllis

http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml

#150253 - 01/09/08 09:34 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
Although I understand the aggrevation of having an escape artist as I have one that I'm trying to outwit, I would not put a padlock on a cage. My escape artist is a 33 yr old CAG, and had a lock on his cage door when we took him in. He had not been out of the cage for 5 years due to the owner loosing the key. I had to take him, cage and all to a locksmith and have them cut the lock off. I've moved him to a different cage (only because he was eatting the plastic tray at the bottom) and am now looking for something else with different feed doors as he's messed those up in the cage I moved him to.

But another thing to consider is if there is an emergency, such as weather related or a fire, I want at least a chance to be able to try to get the birds out and not have to worry about where is the key or fumble with any kind of lock. It's kind of a 50/50 thing, you lock them in so they are safe but I worry that it could backfire in an emergency.

#150258 - 01/09/08 09:57 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: hhanse57]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
I just wanted to note that only the 4 feed doors are locked with a pad lock On Tori's cage. This was the only problem I was having with him getting out. The front of the cage with the lock it came with has never been a problem (yet) thank goodness. Kim

#150260 - 01/09/08 10:24 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: hhanse57]  
Phyllis Offline
Phyllis  Offline

Idaho, Murphy, USA
That was my original concern being able to get him out quickly or someone else if needed. I'm not sure if some else could get him but if they had a towel I suppose they could get the best of him in an emergency. So I have a towel hanging next to the key on the wall inside the doorway. I really don't like the locks but considering he could tear the place up and get himself killed accidently I thought the lock was better than the alternatvie mean while I'm picking everyones brain to see if there is another gaget that will work. I mentioned the other day I got a scissor type latch that seemed to be working up until last night and he figure that one out. It was sitting on the floor of his cage and I think he felt rather stately for figuring it out. So I'm back to the padlock until I find something better.

Phyllis

#150290 - 01/10/08 02:38 AM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
robbieh Offline
robbieh  Offline

I took window locks and attached them to the door of my G2's night time cage and his outside cage. It works wonders and he can't get to it and even if he could he would have to squeeze and turn at the same time. They cost me about $3 each. He can get out of just about anything but these.

It's just amazing to me how skilled they are with their beaks. I want one!

Robbie

#150384 - 01/10/08 04:33 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: robbieh]  
Phyllis Offline
Phyllis  Offline

Idaho, Murphy, USA
Wow I would have never thought of that! I'm heading to the hardware store at noon today. Your a genius! Thanks I really feel good about this solution. I hope my cage can support or the frame is big enough to attach them. I'm so excited, you made me smile at the idea of being able to secure him without putting him in danger. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

Phyllis

#150390 - 01/10/08 05:32 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
Janie Offline
Janie  Offline

We knew we had adopted more than a bird when KiwiU2 held the padlock up for my hubby to insert the key the first morning she lived with us. Can you imagine the look on 2 unsuspecting humans faces when it dawns on them they have taken on living with a creature that intelligent. She was just a year old. We didn't like the idea of her locked behind a losable key either. We resorted to a variety of different styles of clips and hooks stratigically placed so she can't get her beak or foot on them. Then, came the explosion of the number of cages she has. Each needs different methods. Her newest biggy cage came with flippers that hold the feeder doors and a double system of flippers and lock that hold the main door. We love the convenience. She has just learned to open the flippers on the feed doors. Hubby made extra flippers and installed them so now there are 2 on each door. She cannot operate both at once, so hopefully we are safe again. Got a great laugh out of all your experiences. Thanks. Janie

#150405 - 01/10/08 08:07 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Janie]  
SweetieToo Offline
SweetieToo  Offline

Originally Posted By: Janie
We knew we had adopted more than a bird when KiwiU2 held the padlock up for my hubby to insert the key the first morning she lived with us.

OMG, I laughed so hard while reading this! I have also learned to never underestimate the intelligence of our Sweetie.

~Olivia~
Sweetie
#150737 - 01/13/08 05:26 PM Re: Escape Artist [Re: Phyllis]  
Chicken Bird Offline
Chicken Bird  Offline

Ca
You know every time I see the destruction these birds can do I wonder what they do to peoples houses when they are free. In sure wooden porches take the biggest beating.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny