Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#150559 - 01/11/08 08:29 PM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: Crossfire]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
Glad to read that Katie is doing okay, except for the plucking.

Snowy appears to be going into a new cycle, she is getting very panty again. Sign, the joys of having a laying Too.

She is looking a little "ragged" but not like last year.

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock
#150677 - 01/13/08 04:19 AM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: Snowy'Mommy]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Thank you. I'm hoping she won't start plucking full time again now. Hopefully Snowy will settle back down soon without any troubles.

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#150888 - 01/15/08 03:39 AM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: Crossfire]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
Been away from the BB for awhile, great to hear Katie is doing better, simply amazing what goes on inside those little feathered minds & bodies isn't it. Thanx you guys for the kind words about Steiner, I know I have to let it go & move on. I know she's up in Heaven sitting on God's shoulder waiting for me to come home some day. I still have & my others to love & I also aquired a great little 4 yr. old Female G2 named Sully recently. Will post some photos soon.

#150891 - 01/15/08 04:43 AM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: gizzytoo]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Sonja, EchosMom, SnowyMommy, SweetieToo and gizzytoo. I'm here to report that Isabella has not laid another egg, although she still occasionally makes happy with one of her toys on her playgym, naughty girl! Maybe the Lupron shot is working, because even when she does get happy with a toy, she doesn't continue the behavior for more than a minute - a definite improvement! She is due for another Lupron shot on Feb. 1, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Glad everyone and their egg-laying 'toos are doing OK! And T.J., so glad that you are listening to your Steiner Angel and moving on to care for yet another sweet cockatoo soul, Sully!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#150907 - 01/15/08 03:51 PM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks for the update Annette - I've been thinking and wondering about you two, and hoping no news was good news! This season should be behind us all in another month or so. I gave Echo another injection last Thursday - 13 days from the last one which is an improvement over the last. Big difference in her again these past several days - she's much more relaxed and getting into other things besides nest building. Let's hope for a softer season this spring...my AV said that the winter cycle always seems to be hardest and pose the most problems for them.

Welcome back TJ!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#150916 - 01/15/08 07:06 PM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: EchosMom]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Heres to hopefully a less hormonal spring! Thanks for the updates guys, I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing ok! Snowy'Mom are things starting to settle a bit with Snowy?

Welcome back T.J. and you know, I don't think we ever let go totally, at least I don't but it does at least hurt less it seems as time goes on and yes....I strongly believe we'll meet our babies again some day! Until then they remain a very important and unique part of our hearts and souls. wink

I can't wait to hear more about Sully! Congrats on the newest flock member!

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#151088 - 01/17/08 08:31 AM Re: Comments or Words of Wisdom Please. [Re: Crossfire]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
Hi Crossfire, I when back and looked at the pics again of Katie and her egg. The egg does look good (good as in yummy???? LOL, my warped humour). But seriously the yolk and shell seem good in the pics.

I need humour to cope with my laying 2. Snowy has put on 50g (she can defiantly afford it the skinny-minny). She is even panting when she "nests" in my hands (see avator pic). She has barbed some feathers (not as bad as last year), is more cuddly and fortunately is not agressive like last year. She is still active and alert and playful and pooping good......but I'm sure there is at least one more egg brewing (if not two)!!!!! If another egg hasn't arrived by the end of the month, she'll be going in for her wellness checkup then. I was waiting on the egg first.

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock
#151209 - 01/18/08 08:56 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Snowy'Mommy]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
LOL I know what you mean. That lil' egg had a brightly colored healthy yolk and the shell seemed perfect in every way urrr ummm at least as far as eggs go?

Hopefully Snowy will settle soon. Katie barbed a few feathers as well but not many thankfully. At least our girls are still active, alert and pooping well..... we'll get through this come H or high water! smile

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#155791 - 02/26/08 07:17 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Crossfire]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
As some of you already know, Katie has become even more hormonal over the past few days and is chewing her feathers into dust. So much so that I'm afraid her skin will be next, she nips unprovoked which is not my sweet Katie at all and shes become rather unsocial....also not like my Katie. Yes, I understand all too well that this is due to hormones but I wanted to post a pic of what she has done so far.

My poor baby was doing so well with sprouting new feathers all over and not plucking and now this. frown

Katie's Back

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#155793 - 02/26/08 09:44 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Crossfire]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
So sorry CF...I understand your frustration. If she doesn't have a history of digressing from feather destruction to mutiliating, there's a decent possibility that she never will. But it is always reason for concern. I hope that she snaps out of it soon. Hang in there!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#155809 - 02/27/08 12:58 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: EchosMom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Sonja. I am so sorry to hear about Katie messing with her feathers again, and I know how frustrated you are! EM is right on the money, as always - it is doubtful she will become a mutilator because she has no history of that. If you are worried, please call your very level-headed vet and talk to him about it. It is not too late to try Lupron - it might alleviate some of the frustration Katie feels during her "season" (which hopefully for all of us will be over soon!).

She's still your beautiful girl, though, the little imp wink!

Take care,

Annette

#155947 - 02/28/08 01:24 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: MissYumYum]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Thanks guys.... Yes, she still is very very beautiful girl thats for sure! Wouldn't matter to me if she were totally bald, I'd love her the very same but it does upset me that she may be going through something that shes so stressed over that she feels the need to do what shes doing. If I can make it better for her as far as her stress level or whatever it may be then I'm all about changing things to make that happen.

We just got back from our appointment with the AV, it was scheduled for next Monday but Kate didn't seem to be acting normally yesterday, nothing I could really put my finger on but just not herself so I watched her closely and this morning when I woke her up she was raspy and had little bubbles coming from one of her nares soooo off to the vet we went and on top of everything else Katie has a pretty severe case of Sinusitis now.

We cleaned that out, injection was given and while I assured her everything was alright as she sat in my arms with her little head on my chest saying "momma" over and over the AV and I discussed her hormonal state and where to go from here. He asked how I felt and what I thought should or shouldn't be done and I told him that as long as her feather wear and tear was down to a minimum I'd prefer to get my lil' bug healthy and feeling better before we did anything else. He agreed and asked how I felt about Lupron, I told him I wasn't thrilled at the idea but wanted to do what was best for her. He again agreed and after much discussion decided to wait, we'll let Katie recover first and then deal with what we need to deal with.

Katie had her first of ten antibiotic injections today. I'll be doing the rest here at home. Doc and I go way back and hes very comfortable with me giving her injections as am I with giving them. On a brighter note ~ Our little girl is still on a steady weight gain *drum roll* 625 grams now!!!!!!!! Thats a total of 81 grams since coming to live with us in October! grin

Please keep Katie in your prayers that she does ok over the next few days. Thank you

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#155954 - 02/28/08 01:57 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Crossfire]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Oh NO!!! Bless her heart (and yours). Sounds like you have a great AV there. Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Lots of prayers and healing thoughts coming to Katie.

#155993 - 02/28/08 05:34 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: EchosMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Wow! incredible progress! I'll be praying Katie (& you for strength!)!

Gail
#156079 - 02/28/08 06:45 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Bird Mom]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Prayers for a speedy recovery coming from here, also, Sonja! That is soooo sweet that she said "momma" while you were comforting her at the AV's office!! That just makes the heart melt, doesn't it? Hang in there!

Annette

#156338 - 03/01/08 05:04 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: MissYumYum]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Thank you EM, Bird Mom and Annette ~ It means a ton to know that there are a few people at least out there sending well wishes and pulling for our little bug. smile

Katie isn't thrilled with her injections but has been such a good girl through it, once she figured out that it's what I had to do regardless of whether she liked it or not she stopped fighting it. She sits quietly and just closes her eyes and waits for it to be over. When I'm done I praise her, she gets an almond and then we spend about five minutes or so talking sweetly and scrunching neck feathers ( her favorite thing ).

Her appetite isn't the best right now, shes had a few bouts with really loose stool, a product of the antibiotic we think and it's very obvious that she doesn't feel well but we're starting to see brief moments where shes back to her old self so I think we're on the upswing.

Thanks again you three smile

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#156351 - 03/01/08 06:14 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Crossfire]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It's good that she behaves so well for her medication. That reduces the stress for everyone! You might want to give her some yogurt, Benebac or some other probiotic in conjunction with the antibiotics as they kill the good with the bad and it may help with the stool and general well being. I hope things improve in the near future. It is hormonal city at our house right now but I know it will probably end within a month. eek

#156357 - 03/01/08 07:56 PM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Charlie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Sonja, that's great that she is so accepting of being medicated. That is truly a blessing for you! I'm sure she will pull through this just fine, and maybe the added bonus will be that hormonal "season" is over when the antibiotic is finished grin We can dream, can't we? Like Charlie, it's hormonal season big time around here - less of the "I want to mate with you" now and more of the "I want to kill you", LOL! Now I remember why I look forward to our Spring Break trip in mid-March every year. Gives my fingers and my bruised ego time to heal, LOL!

Hang in there!

Annette

#156368 - 03/02/08 12:45 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: MissYumYum]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Thanks guys. LOL yes, it sure would be nice if the hormonal season was over by the time we finished the antibiotics! I think we could all use a break thats for sure! smile

We really are blessed with Katie, shes such a gentle girl and I really couldn't have asked for a more patient / trusting 'Too. I should knock on wood that she continues to do well with her antibiotics but so far shes just surprised the heck out of me with how well shes done! Just wish I could make it all go away now for her.....my poor lil' bug. Thats her nickname by the way, Bug or Katie bug. lol

Thanks so much for mentioning a probiotic Charlie, I stopped earlier this afternoon and picked up a tube of Benebac. Thanks! wink

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#156370 - 03/02/08 01:37 AM Re: Katie and The Egg [Re: Crossfire]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I'm glad she's on the upswing and that the injections are going well. Are you giving them in the breast muscle? You were much more confident that I was about giving injections. When my AV first suggested it, I said "Are you crazy?" LOL! At least I had 2 weeks to get used to the idea and prepare myself.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny