Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148421 - 12/26/07 09:13 PM minor human vent  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
I know my birds have a blast doing this but it drives me nuts. Everytime I clean cages, I have 3 birds that as soon as I walk away, start tearing the newspaper up through the bottom grate. They love it but birdwise there is nothing that bugs me more than to see all this paper pulled up and ripped. It makes your cage look like you haven't cleaned it in ages. I got mad enough a week ago to walk back over and take the paper back out of 1 cage. Of course then I just had to clean up the poo that was on the bottom tray. Just wanted to share a tiny little vent.

#148424 - 12/26/07 09:35 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: hhanse57]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Cant they be sooooo annoying, lol! Little buggers laugh
Just an idea, when you've cleaned 'em, how about putting a few balls of lightly scrunched newspaper on their floor? They may rather enjoy going at this rather than the cage floor 'carpet'. Give it a try, and let us know if it helps or not. (Knowing these pesky feathered ones, probably the response wil be 'NOT', but hey ho, its worth a go laugh

Last edited by wishfull; 12/26/07 09:37 PM. Reason: attrocious spelling!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#148428 - 12/26/07 10:14 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: hhanse57]  
Vinnie Offline
Vinnie  Offline

I think most of us can relate to this little annoying behaviour. Our worst is our CAG. Just as sure as I turn my back after cage cleaning, Li'l Ricky is down there having a good ole time in the corner shredding away.

And then there's our U2 , Vinnie, who loves to shred also between the bottom grates. So what I do is take a paper towel or napkin ( white, with no ink coloring ) and roll them into a tootsie roll and wedge them between the cage bars. I also put toilet paper and paper towel rolls in their cages for some extra enjoyment too.
Be careful not to put any paper towel or toilet paper rolls that have remaining glue on them in their cage.

Also if you do give paper towels or napkins for their shredding pleasures, be sure to keep watching for "nesting" behaviours. Should this start to happen, discontinue the paper towels and napkins. The rolls are okay as they don't seem to use them for nesting, imo.

Nothing more enjoying than seeing a rampant bird tossing paper all over their cages....LOL.... I guess they too enjoy remodeling their homes. They know we will clean up after them.

Set me Free. If I come back, I'm yours!
If not, I'll always remember your kindness.
#148430 - 12/26/07 10:35 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: Vinnie]  
ALI_G Offline
ALI_G  Offline

NORTH CAROLINA
uggghhh!!! simon does that too. and he will laugh the whole time. like when i vacuum around the cage he will go strait over to his dish and throw pellets out and laugh. people say he just mimicks what he hears but i think sometimes they really know exactly what they are doing. and simon seems to think it's pretty darn funny when he is destructive.lol.

She wasn't refined or unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

#148444 - 12/26/07 11:42 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: ALI_G]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
As for the glue on the paper towel and toilet paper rolls; the glue used is corn starch and water. My son used to work in the paper plant here. Do not worry about the glue.
Take care, Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#148482 - 12/27/07 06:15 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Vinnie Offline
Vinnie  Offline

Sharon,

I feel much better knowing this b/c I read something pertaining to this a couple years ago stating that we had to be careful of this glue. Thanks for validating this for me. Sometimes I had kept the old rolls and other times I tossed them b/c of the excessive glue. My birds love these rolls the best.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Set me Free. If I come back, I'm yours!
If not, I'll always remember your kindness.
#148677 - 12/28/07 06:30 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: Vinnie]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
I put some of Gizzys toys on small chains to hang them within her reach by her perches. I put snap hooks on the one end to be able to remove them easily for cleaning & toy replacement. I slip toilet paper rolls & paper towel rolls over the chains for her to shred & she loves it. She seems to not bother the newspaper in the bottom of the cage, don't know if this is why or not. I made sure that the chains are a safe size as to not let her get her beak or yoes stuck in the links.

#148904 - 12/31/07 01:56 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: gizzytoo]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Brewster loves to shred newspaper & pretty much anything else! My husband drills holes through untreated blocks of wood which I string on a chain. Even when the cage is clean, it looks like a kindling factory! The string of 8-10 blocks only lasts about one or two days. Throw in an occasional telephone book.

Gail
#151352 - 01/20/08 06:35 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: Bird Mom]  
bekka Offline
bekka  Offline

Michigan
I use to lay the newpapers on top of the grate..then he started chewing them up so I figured I would lay them under the grate... well he still chews them up!! I figure I just have to deal with it..along with pooping on the rug! smile

Bekka
#151361 - 01/20/08 06:53 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: bekka]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
As I was cleaning cages today and grumbling about newspapers being moved around and all the wasted seed in Biddybes cage going to the tray and papers there I had a brainstorm. I'm wondering what would happen if the edges were glued down. I'm thinking of making paste from flour and water and tacking the edges together and then to the sides of the cage. Wonder if this will slow it down? Has anyone tried doing anything like this? Would love to know if it works or helps at all. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#151364 - 01/20/08 07:25 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Nope I haven't tried that but I have wondered if it were just easier to take the trays out every evening and just forget about the newspaper altogether and just rinse and clean both the grates and the trays at night?The reason is because by the end of the evening I have to empty them out anyway because Bailey,Gabby and Ripley love to rip the papers into shreds and throw them out of the cages anyway so really I haven't much left inside to catch the poops and food waste. smirk But then again it would take all the fun out of it for them smirk so I think they'll stay.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#151370 - 01/20/08 09:10 AM Re: minor human vent [Re: Janny]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I put newspapers on top of the grate, my birds love them, and they do different things with them... I love to watch what they do... I change the paper on a daily basis, and have learned how to avoid the attacks, which naturally comes with the changing of the papers.

Cheers
Lene
#151377 - 01/20/08 02:31 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: Lene]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
My girls don't bother playing with the papers, they just get moved when they exercise their wings. Cassie sometimes will go down and pull on them to get something she wants. For some reason she never goes to the floor of her cage, unless of course her walnut has fallen and she can't reach it! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#151381 - 01/20/08 04:50 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Tut is the only one that really like to shred the cage papers. So, I've taken to giving him old phone books to shred. I drill a hole in it and run a bolt thru the book and attach it to the cage. For about three days he has a blast.

Also, a big shop vac comes in handy.

#151403 - 01/20/08 06:52 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: Elliott]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
lol yeah we have to shop vac too.I give all the bird phone books but for some reason they like those bottom papers so much.lol.I think they think they are helping me somehow.lol

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#151526 - 01/21/08 09:45 PM Re: minor human vent [Re: Janny]  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
They sure can drive you nuts sometimes. I went so far one day to put a large piece of cardboard on the floor of one cage and a tree stick on the floor of the other. My idea was that the birds would spend time studying those foreign objects and take awhile before they tore the papers up and you know what? It worked. Cages were clean for maybe 30 minutes! LOL

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny