Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148019 - 12/23/07 03:14 AM Cockatoo Manicure  
BellaOctober1 Offline
BellaOctober1  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
I've decided to start training Martini to handle a file so I can keep her nails trim.

~ As they say in the South, "Bless her Heart"

I brought out one of those cheap sandpaper type files and began it all in the spirit of a game. When I had a chance, I'd gently hold her toe and softly file her nail.
When she moved away; I'd play and follow her, talking to her all the while. At one point, when she let me file her nails for more than 2 seconds, her eyes would gently close. It made her sleepy, which I think is very cool!! This means this vibration is very relaxing ~

So! I have a good feeling that I'll eventually be able to file her nails without towelling her or taking her to the Vet.

Just thought I'd share in case any of you were wondering about how to keep your 'toos nails trimmed :o)

~ Teri
Fort Worth, Texas
Rookie Mom of Martini,the 3 yr. old U2
"It Is, What It Is"
#148030 - 12/23/07 04:50 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: BellaOctober1]  
umbietoo Offline
Lives Here
umbietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Juneau, Alaska
YAY! lucy will hold and play with a file and i am hoping in time to be able to file her nails...
martini is darling!

Rebecca
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul...
~emily dickinson
#148049 - 12/23/07 09:27 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: umbietoo]  
Snowy'Mommy Offline
Snowy'Mommy  Offline

Burnaby & Lone Butte, BC
From day one I've used a cordless dremel to do Snowy's nails. We play the "file game" when I'm doing my nails, but I find the dremel to work much better and quicker.

Proud to be deemed worthy of my U2's flock
#148071 - 12/23/07 04:58 PM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: Snowy'Mommy]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
I have to catch Scarlett in a certain mood and she will let me file her nails. I bought a good course file and act like I am doing my nails and she gets curious and then will let me do hers. Best of luck! It sure makes it easier and less stressful when they cooperate!

#148927 - 12/31/07 07:26 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: Scarletts mom]  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama
Sugar will file her nails if you give her an emory board.Of course it's not good enough to help but she tries.Then she eats the board.I have a video somewhere...

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
#148953 - 12/31/07 02:45 PM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: vondooly]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Baby has always loved her nails filed with an emery board. All it took was me doing my nails in front of her, and her curiosity won her over.

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#149145 - 01/02/08 12:19 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: hellobaby]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
We use the cordless dremel to do our G2's (Chloe) nails. Can't use a corded one, it's a snake don'tcha know. (Cords are a definite NONO with her. We hope this continues.) The dremel is no problem. No need to towel or otherwise restrain. She does have a time limit for this foolishness however.

Now she wants to trim her own beak with the dremel. At first we thought she just wanted to bite at the tool but noticed she tried to put certain parts of her beak on it. Now we let her do the trim. She puts part of her beak to the dremel stone and then backs off and checks it with beak manipulations and then wipes off the dust and continues with another part of the beak until she is done. The Momperson holds her finger under the stone so Chloe cannot grab too much of it or the stone cannot grab her. This, nails and beak, is done at the lowest speed and with a very small stone.

#149159 - 01/02/08 05:41 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: MocBoy]  
Mookie Offline
Mookie  Offline

Lunas great about it.
She'll sit there and hold her foot out for you and talk to you the whole time.

My tiel and keet on the other hand....

#149160 - 01/02/08 06:18 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: Mookie]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
My g2 doesn't necessarily like it, but he doesn't put up much of a fight.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#150057 - 01/08/08 04:05 AM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: sandiego]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
We do what Snowy Mommy does, our Fem. U2 is not real fond of my wife, except when she gets out the Dremel tool & tells her how pretty she's going to be.. It's not really a Dremel tool, I think its out of a manicure kit, but it's the same type of tool. Her nails grow like cazy cause she uses more grip with her feet due to having no feathers for balance ( I think ). I just had a horrible thought, I sure hope she doesn't develop birdie arthritis later on in life.

#150126 - 01/08/08 05:27 PM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: gizzytoo]  
Lilu's Mom Offline
Lilu's Mom  Offline

Georgia
Lilu loves to have her nails filed. I get one file and she gets a cheap file and we just have a blast. She tears up her file as I get to work on her nails. ;>

Melissa smile
#150148 - 01/08/08 08:55 PM Re: Cockatoo Manicure [Re: Lilu's Mom]  
SweetieToo Offline
SweetieToo  Offline

The Cockatoo and Macaw that were in our family home (as I was growing up) were so very tame, they would hold up their feet for us to clip and file their nails.

Sweetie is allowing us to trim her wings, but I haven't even attempted her nails. The vet did trim them on her first visit, so they are actually still fine, but I think I would prefer doing a little filing myself if she will allow me to. I am going to sit next to her while filing my nails, and see if I can get her interested in joining me whistle

~Olivia~
Sweetie

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny