Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#135763 - 09/26/07 07:31 PM TOYS  
LynziMarie Offline
LynziMarie  Offline

Utah! USA
As I've mentioned before in a couple previous posts, I'm becoming the foster mom to a M2 tonight....He does come with a cage, but I don't know if there will be toys in it or not...
I'd really like to stop and pick at least a few up to get him started.

What should I look for?
Is there anything 'Toos seem to (averagely) favor over others?

Also, I feed my birds a pelleted diet of Pretty Bird and a variety of fresh fruits and veggies daily....I also often 'share' my dinners with mine (they have their own bowls and utensils)
Is there a pellet that would work better for 'Toos, or is Pretty Bird adequate?

I know Pretty Bird has Eclectus, Amazon, and African specific formulas, all of which I have and feed. I don't think there is anything 'Too specific....if there is I'd be glad to know about it!!

**Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul...** -Emily Dickinson

#135803 - 09/26/07 11:52 PM Re: TOYS [Re: LynziMarie]  
MarleysDad Offline
MarleysDad  Offline

New York City
IME, chew toys seem to be preferred over much of the other toys out there, too's love to chew things..so this makes sense.

toys with lots of wood and/or leather would be good, marley has a HUGE toy made with blocks of wood, leather, and cotton rope..he loves it.

as far as diet, i have never used pretty bird, i use mainly zupreem pellets with fresh fruits and veggies, and and my birds thrive on them. i'm sure someone else here would have more experience with the Pretty bird diet.

-Dan

Umbrella Cockatoo - Marley
Quaker Parrot - Rex
Cockatiel- Phoebe
#135808 - 09/27/07 01:06 AM Re: TOYS [Re: MarleysDad]  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

Like MarleysDad suggested, wood and leather are things they seem to like. Make sure the chain is a large size since they can snip chains that might be appropriate for an African Gray or Amazon like they are cardboard. These guys have big beaks. I have a hard time finding decent toys because so many would be destroyed in about half an hour or less and other plexiglass type ones don't interest him as soon as he realizes they are not easily destroyed. I often end up going to several stores before I find one suitable toy. Strings of very big blocks seem to be about the best.

My M2 is very good at maot kinds of links that hold the toys also. I always look for good size links and tighten them with a pliers.

I've resorted to untreated, kiln dried 2 x 4/s cut into 4 foot pieces on occasion which they love to chew.

#135863 - 09/27/07 08:31 AM Re: TOYS [Re: Birdiemommy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I collect toilet paper tubes, paper towel tubes from work. Also medicine boxes - like the kind that holds your antihistamines.

I close them up with some tissue and hide a pea or a nut in there.

I screwed a log to his perch that gives him ample chewing opportunity also.

plastic pony beads in a tupperware bowl. He just likes to scoop them up and wing them. They HURT when you step on them though... make sure you don't miss any!

Phone books, or old dime novels (sans jacket) to shred.

Pine cones.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#135880 - 09/27/07 01:30 PM Re: TOYS [Re: spinnyspoo]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Take a look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIRD-TOYS-3-PALM-LEA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now call me cheep but when it comes to toys I try to go the cheep way as they are costly. This is 9.00 on Ebay and I just went to wal-mart last night bought a bundle of Raffia and tied it to on of her higher perches for only .98, same thing and more than 1/2 the price.
I also bought some wiffle balls witht he holes in them and stuffed the colored crumpled up decorative paper for gift bags and shoved that into the ball with things hanging out.
I am hoping that she preens and plucks on those instead of herself. So far she LOVES the raffia.

Spinny- I also collect toilet paper rolls and paper towel roos and she loves to rip them up. I have people at where I work also saving them for me because they don't last long when I give them to her and I just can't go to the bathroom enough to keep up with her ripping habbits!! LOL

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#135883 - 09/27/07 01:38 PM Re: TOYS [Re: mandymmr]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
LOL I too believe in making Cassies' toys. They are so expensive. I buy whiffle balls and practice golf balls at walmart in the big packs. They only cost a couple of dollars. And I stuff them with all sorts of things. Cost pennies instead of dollars for good toys. I also get popsicle sticks in the multipack. Paper lunch bags are great too. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#135884 - 09/27/07 02:26 PM Re: TOYS [Re: BE2Cassie]  
LynziMarie Offline
LynziMarie  Offline

Utah! USA
Great!!!
thanks guys!!

Like I thought, he only had one sub-par toy that came with him...
I had a bunch of foraging toys that I gave him until I can get to the store....(it's about 2 hrs away)
I think I'll end up making his toys...but maybe a new, store bought one...just to let him experience toys (probably for the first time)

Last edited by LynziMarie; 09/27/07 02:27 PM. Reason: oopsie

#135890 - 09/27/07 03:12 PM Re: TOYS [Re: LynziMarie]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
LynziMarie-
By all means Money is hard for my family so in order to help entertain her and keep costs down for us I make them all. Here are a few ideas you can get at walmart.
I buy the dog chew toys that are rope with knots on the end ansd put it on a chain for her to che-
Go to the dollar store and buy the baby chain links- they like those only 1.00
rattles,
Cat balls witht he bells in them, my ellie loves to get the bell out usually works on it for 15 min.
paper towel, toielt paper rolls, wrapping paper rools
Buy a bundle of raffia at the stoer and place it in their cage they love to preen it.
There are so many things you can put in her cage for her to do under 20.00 or you can alweays go to petsmart and spend 100.00 on toys that they 9 times out of 10 don't even like.

#135894 - 09/27/07 03:32 PM Re: TOYS [Re: mandymmr]  
LynziMarie Offline
LynziMarie  Offline

Utah! USA
hmm....okay!

i love dollar stores! that's where I got all the stuff to make foraging toys.
forget BirdWorld then....I'll just go to wally world!
\
thanks again!

#135916 - 09/27/07 07:08 PM Re: TOYS [Re: LynziMarie]  
Diane048 Offline
Diane048  Offline

Auburn, WA
I love the dollar store also. I go to the baby section and buy these plastic toys for babies. I was taking them out of the boxes and putting both the toy and the box in her basket but yesterday I decided to just leave the toy in the box. She still hasn't gotten the toys out of the boxes yet. Yeah a two day toy instead of a few minutes toy. Also they have these circle wreath things made of some type of sticks and I hang them on one of her perches and that usually last about a week. I also use the wicker basket for her toys because when she has eaten all her toys then she starts on the basket. I end up having to wash out the basket often before she tears it up totally. I bot her some little morocas (tattles) at the $ store and they don't fall thru the bars to the bottom. She already pulled the little handles off but she still has the rattle part to play with.

#135921 - 09/27/07 08:03 PM Re: TOYS [Re: Diane048]  
hhanse57 Offline
hhanse57  Offline

IL
You can also find good toy making items at thrift stores such as Goodwill or Salvation Army. I find blocks, balls, rope, rattles all the time. Several weeks ago I bought (and there were 2 but I only grabbed one darn it!) a huge industrial cotton mop head still in the package that I'm going to string things on for the Macaw. When I look at all those strands - wonder how long it'll take me to make it. smile

Oh and don't forget the toys that make sounds. Sugarbear, my U2, loves toddler toys that he can walk on that make noise. Or you can find some to hang on the side of their cage.

Last edited by hhanse57; 09/27/07 08:04 PM.
#135948 - 09/27/07 09:33 PM Re: TOYS [Re: hhanse57]  
LynziMarie Offline
LynziMarie  Offline

Utah! USA
That's so cool!!

My Grey also loves toys that make noise....I got him a piano that plays different songs when you push different keys...a toy laptop for toddlers...the toddler toy section at WalMart is basically my best friend!!!
lol

#135955 - 09/27/07 10:03 PM Re: TOYS [Re: LynziMarie]  
Tammy_Angel's Mom Offline
Tammy_Angel's Mom  Offline

A farmer See N Say that I got at a garage sale was worth about a month of playtime. I love garage sale kid toys, usually pretty cheap, so you get lots of mileage out of a dollar, and a happy parrot!

#136014 - 09/28/07 11:51 AM Re: TOYS [Re: Tammy_Angel's Mom]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
huh... a see n say eh? That sounds like a brilliant idea!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#136026 - 09/28/07 02:49 PM Re: TOYS [Re: spinnyspoo]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
I am soooo excited, found another very very cheap toy ELLIE fights for:

As you all know Ellie is terrified of any type "sticks", I have 1 X1 or 1/2 X 1/2 inch untreated wood that my hubby had left over from a project I saved. Originally this A.M. it was about 14 inches long. I tried to give it to her as is and she flipped thinking it was a stick, so right in fron of her I borke THE SAME STICK into 4" pieces and turned around and gave them to her she came "flying" gown her perch for it and when I left the house she was still going to town on it. I had to take one away from her to break it more and since I took that one away she was climbing over to another one I put in there. Found something so simple but yet she LOVES IT!!
You can go to Lowes or Menards or any lumber yard ask them if they have any untreated scraps of wood for sale. I spend about .32 on a 4 foot piece of a 1" X 6" and cut it down, and wala- a loved toy for only .32!!!
Can't beat that

#136402 - 09/30/07 08:56 PM Re: TOYS [Re: Diane048]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Great ideas-------if you write toys under the search.
Really important to educate self on safety. So much great information found on the site. Jerry has wonderful information on making safe toys.
From what I have read it is advised to stay away from toilet tissue rolls-----possible E-Coli contamination-----make bird very sick.
Paper towel rolls are okay if no glue. But from what I have read it is hard to find them with no glue. The glue is toxic.
We have to be careful of those wreaths and wicker baskets and Raffia. Need to be sure they are not treated with chemicals. Really difficult sometimes to get the information. I love the Raffia, but I'm not yet able to tell from the kind sold her if it is safe. Would love to know if it is. I have found some untreated wicker baskets. Those little cat balls with the bell in them are very unsafe for any feathered creature who can tear it open. Those bells have caused much injury.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny