Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11213 - 02/09/04 12:51 PM Playing?  
Chel Offline
Chel  Offline

South Africa
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I don't really understand what my D2 and U2 are doing, whether they are playing or not.My D2 is 16 months old and U2 +-4 months.

They play a lot together, displaying, playful hissing etc ..
Then sometimes when they sit next to one another they grab each other's beaks and pull. confused Kinda like a tug of war game. They are under constant supervision when out their cages, and I have been seperating them when they start this. It has only happened about 3 times. I'm so scared that one of them will hurt the other one. Other than this, they get along well and don't seem to mind sharing a stand.

I'm wondering if anyone else has birds that do this? Should I be worried that they could end up fighting?

#11214 - 02/09/04 06:01 PM Re: Playing?  
MsSmurfy Offline
MsSmurfy  Offline

Florida USA
Well Chele, from the sounds of things...it sure sounds like your Ducorps is trying to 'feed' the lil one....At least that is what my Ducorps did when their was a younger Ducorps allowed to perch & share the same environment together. They got along famously, but the older D2 was constantly 'mothering' the younger bird. The problem we had with this eventually was that the bonding became so great that the older D2 became very territorial over the younger bird and no longer wanted the human contact, nor could we approach the younger bird without the older D2 showing jealousy & behaviorial agressions towards us & eventually towards the younger bird once we would return the younger bird to the environment. So you may want to consider separating the two until a period of time where the bonding will not present this problem. Ask others for further advice, also if they are of oppossite sex? Good luck!

#11215 - 02/09/04 06:32 PM Re: Playing?  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
Could be feeding, or could be beak wrestling. Are there any regurgitation motions/ rapid head bobbing? Alot of birds will grab beaks and tussle... others will sword fight - parrying with the tips. It's a game (youngsters play these games in the wild as practice for maturity) I would be concerned that as they mature it could become more aggressive. I don't have experience with our birds, but have seen others do it.

#11216 - 02/10/04 09:06 AM Re: Playing?  
Chel Offline
Chel  Offline

South Africa
Hi, thanks so much for the replies.

Well last night the two of them were at it again.
Its seems to be my D2 that starts it off. They have their own room, and I was sweeping the floor (for the 3rd time!) and the two of them were behind me on the perch. My D2 let out a scream and flew onto my arm. She kept on shaking her head. It seemed like her tongue was hurt, but I couldn't see anything wrong. I sat with her for a while and she carried on shaking her head for about 3 minutes. After that she kept her distance from the U2. She doesn't bob her head. Maybe it is sword fighing?
Gina's (d2) beak is extremely sharp, but Abby (u2) has already taken a chunk out my finger while we were playing the other night.

Is there anything I should look for that could be warning signs that I could have problems later? I know that Gina gets nippy with me when she wants to play and I might be concentrating on something other than her, she grabs my fingers and bites. With Abby and our macaw she does the same, she pulls their feathers (not hard). I really don't believe she is being nasty, she is just a lot more active and playful than the two of them.

Our macaw is dna sexed male. Two too's, we have just assumed they are female. I do plan on having them sexed.

#11217 - 02/10/04 11:03 PM Re: Playing?  
microsatellite Offline
microsatellite  Offline

British Columbia, Canada
I've got two U2s and they beak wrestle and fight fairly frequently. In fact, they've both managed to chip each other's beaks, and one actually got his tongue cut once! (very minor) They just sneak up on each other when they're both out, feeling feisty, and I'm not looking. They both are pretty much equal instigators. They've been doing this for years, and I have never been able to keep them apart 100% of the time, so good luck to you. Sorry I don't have any actual advice other than to watch them carefully when they're both out to see if the U2 gives you any signs of crankiness, or if it really is Gina doing the instigating.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny