Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114865 - 10/30/04 04:35 AM Happy Peaches  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Peaches went to her new home Wednesday night. She is adjusting very well. The next morning they phoned to let us know she slept well and has been out of her cage talkling happily. They live on a bluberry farm and are home all the time so she will get the attention she deserves.

I have mixed feelings but when I saw them together I knew it was a good match. I miss her so much but am relieved she is happy and will be well cared for.

#114866 - 10/30/04 04:44 AM Re: Happy Peaches  
GideonsMom Offline
GideonsMom  Offline

I feel sad for you, but glad that Peaches is in a place she likes. Are you going to get to visit her?

#114867 - 10/31/04 09:09 AM Re: Happy Peaches  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Blueberry farm - she's got it good! My bird loves blueberries! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and Peaches, but it sounds like you did the right thing for her.

#114868 - 10/31/04 03:52 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
Blueberry farm?? Sounds great! I'm assuming that there's no white furniture there and probably never has been! wink I think Peaches is going to have a blue bib the next time you go to visit!

#114869 - 10/31/04 04:35 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Yes, they said we can visit. smile What do you think is a good amount of time to let pass before I visit? I don't want to upset her (or me). lol

#114870 - 10/31/04 09:15 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
LKW Offline
LKW  Offline

Tulsa, OK
Congratulations Marie. I know it's hard. but at least you can rest assured that she has a good home.

Morgan's previous owner wants to come visit too, but like you, she doesn't want to upset him. We both decided at least a month to get completely settled in.

#114871 - 11/01/04 07:29 PM Re: Happy Peaches  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marie it sounds like Peaches is settling in well. This must make you feel so much better. I know the heartbreak involved when rehoming a bird. Please know that you did what was best for both you and Peaches. And please, by all means visit. I would wait a while until Peaches has gotten used to her new home. A month sounds like a good time frame. I will be holding you in my thoughts. Take care smile

#114872 - 11/01/04 10:46 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks, I will wait.

#114873 - 11/02/04 02:42 AM Re: Happy Peaches  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

As most of you know, I have a U2 (Merlyn) here in foster care for the last 1 1/2 years. In the beginning, his Mom came sporadically to visit him, and we had behavioral issues with him after she would visit. I think he just didn't know what to do. Mom was here, Mom wasn't here. On one occasion, he flew off her directly at my face. After that, I told her she either has to come on a regular schedule, or she has to leave him completely. Hollis chose to come to visit Merlyn every Friday night. She arrives promptly at 6:30 PM and leaves promptly at 9:30 PM, faithfully. Since setting down a visitation schedule, things are much better. Meryly understands that his Mom will come back, and that he isn't abandoned - sort of like a kid at boarding school I guess.

I also had a Sun Conure, Peaches, who was given up for adoption to me, but I allowed her previous owner to come and visit her. It did prove to be a bit of a challenge as Peaches came to prefer me over her previous owner, and the previous owner had a bit of an emotional problem with that, but, you can't adopt a bird out, and only see her now and then and expect the bond to remain.

Those are the only two examples that I can give you. The only common thread in the two examples is that neither bird did well with visits from the previous owner.

I hope things go better than that with your Peaches.

#114874 - 11/02/04 05:41 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Thank you. You've given me more thoughts to ponder over. I want the best for Peaches.

#114875 - 11/02/04 09:23 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Marie, if you had a good relationship with Peaches, then I think you should visit whenever you can. The lady I got my Peaches from, she's an M2, was neglectful and abusive. She used to roll her in a closet and shut the door. They told her she was a bad bird, she admitted to me that's why Peaches said bad bird all the time. She used to stop by to "visit" when she wanted a payment on the cage. During these visits Peaches stayed as far away from her as possible, was quiet and looked like she was trying not to be noticed. I think she was afraid to lose "the good life" and have to go back. After a long time she didn't come anymore and then one day this year she and her mom showed up for a final payment on the cage. Well, the little traitor was way happy to see the mom, who had her before the last lady. Apparently she had a good relation ship with her but she got a divorce and had to move so she had given her to her daughter. Anyway, this was 2 1/2 years since she'd seen that mom and snuggled right up. But when it was time for them to go, she came right to me happily. Anyway, the point is that if THAT mom wanted to visit, I wouldn't mind because it seems that they were happy together. I'd rather the daughter didn't come back though, it's sad to see a big M2 try to make herself small and invisible. I can pretty much guarantee they won't be back. They got the money they wanted and signed a receipt that says Peaches and her cage are mine and paid in full. Sad. I'm really glad you found a good home. I don't think it hurts to be a part of her life still.

#114876 - 11/03/04 02:34 AM Re: Happy Peaches  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

Maria - I didn't mean to put a downer on your desire to see Peaches. I just wanted to give you my only two examples. I think if you desire to see Peaches, you certainly should, but then after talk with the new owner to see how Peaches did after you left, and take it from there. I also don't want you to be disappointed if you go to visit at some point in the future, and the bond that you have now with Peaches isn't what it was.

I'm certain when the time comes that I have to rehome my flock I will want to see them. Whether I will or not remains to be seen. On one hand, I don't want to just disappear after having them with me for years as I think that won't be good for them. On the other hand, I don't know that I should go and see them, as I don't want to let them down by leaving again.

It is a very difficult situation in my mind, but you will have to give it a shot and see how it goes, and what happens after. If all goes well both during and after, then continue to visit as it will only enrich Peaches life still having you as part of her extended flock.

#114877 - 11/03/04 05:13 PM Re: Happy Peaches  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Happybirds, you didn't say anything that upset me. smile I appreciate you comments, that's why I asked. After a month or so I may decide it is better not to visit her. I will have to talk with her new owner first of course. The more comments the better for me so I can weigh both sides and make the best decision so as not to stress Peaches. We had an upbeat separation and I wouldn't want to do anything to upset her now.

Thanks,
Marie

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny