Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104685 - 12/11/06 09:47 PM how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  
white_green_wonder Offline
white_green_wonder  Offline

It really hurts me, I can't do a thing about it. There is a woman I know, she has a 4 year old u2, its going really really wrong. Her too is biting, screaming, attacing her kid, afraid of everything. We want to help her, and she wants help, but she lets her bird stay at adresses where the chance of contamination of pbfd, chlamydia or other diseases are extremely high.
We told her she has to get her bird first tested and then we will come and give her advise how to deal with the behaviour problems of her too.
She doesn't want to do bloodtests for her too and won't listen to let her u2 stay at that high risk adress, and we don't want to risk the health of our parrots.
I see it go wrong, it won't take long that she will give up her bird. I think it is so sad. She's so selfish, actually I don't care about her, its her white fellow I care about and want him to be a happy chap.
May I have your opinion?
How do you feel about contageous diseases like pbfd, psittacosis or polyoma?
thanks in advance, renate

#104686 - 12/11/06 09:55 PM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
All those are very contagious, and if you do go interact with her and her bird, you need to get hold of some hospital "scrubs", or maybe a paper "biohazard" suit for each visit. Do you charge for consultations as a behaviorist? If so, tell her up front that the cost of sterilizing all the clothing you wear to her home will be added to the bill. If not, you might ask her to pay for the biohazard suit. I don't know if this would get her attention or not; some folks are pretty oblivious frown . But if you are insistent about being unwilling to expose your birds to what you see as a hazardous situation, she might take your concern more seriously.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "she lets her bird stay at addresses" where there is a chance of infection; is she taking the bird to a boarding facility, or what?

Jody
#104687 - 12/11/06 10:07 PM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  

the adress she takes her bird to is the worst place you can get a parrot from, most are sick. He is the worst in his kind. Many people have lost a parrot who bought a parrot at his place.

She thinks he is fantastic and let her too stay there during the holidays, her too was there last week for behaviour consultance, which I guess didn't help, because she was asking for help again.

Normally I don't charge, if I help someone and his parrot. I am not a bird behaviourist, I volunteer a foundation who cares about parrots and give advise how to take care of your parrot.
renate

#104688 - 12/13/06 01:17 AM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  
'Too Haven Offline
'Too Haven  Offline

Greater Miami FL area
I hate to be the downer in your otherwise good intentions ... but ...

It doesn't appear from what you describe that this woman would even listen to, or follow your good advice and help ... especially if she intends to potentially dump her bird in the future anyway.

I don't think I would risk the health and safety of my own flock for someone as callous and uncaring.

It may be in your best interest just to extend the invititation that you will take her bird, should she ever decide to dump it ... then test it, follow strick Q and correct the damage she has caused.

I feel sorry for the bird, but the owner has to care. Just my 2c

~Dana~
a/k/a 'Too Junkie
'Too Haven
#104689 - 12/13/06 05:59 PM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  

Well, I got her so far, she made an appointment at an avian vet to let her too tested. I've mailed her a vew pics of toos how far it can come when she is staying this selfish. And told her too when her too might have pbfd he can't be adopted by a foundation because we find the wellbeing of the parrots who allready live in our homes is the most important.

I guess it worked, when her bird is tested negative she can choose where to let hir birds to stay when she is away for holidays. And she can get help whith the behaviour aspects. I am really glad with her change of opinion and that she chooses for the wellbeing of her u2 and not of her own.

#104690 - 12/13/06 09:40 PM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Actually, I tend to think people who act in the best interests of their animals are acting in their own best interests as well. The life my birds lead is a part of the life I lead, and anything that harms them is going to harm me, too. (IMO) If I place my bird in harm's way, even inadvertently, I will suffer; Sierra is a prime example of that. I'm still hurting, and she's been dead over a year. Matthew is still hurting, too.
Acting with convenience as a priority is often a mistake, and it isn't really acting in one's own best interest.
But I am glad to hear she is paying attention to the warnings about contagion.

Jody
#104691 - 12/14/06 12:33 AM Re: how do you deal with ignorant peolpe  
'Too Haven Offline
'Too Haven  Offline

Greater Miami FL area
JM ... that may very well be subject to change when the vet flashes her a $600+ vet bill for a full chem panel, fecal, x-rays, etc.

I have to agree w/ you on the mind set of thinking ... however, again, that is unfortunately not the status quo w/ people who view animals as "property" ... *sighs*

~Dana~
a/k/a 'Too Junkie
'Too Haven

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny