Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103748 - 09/06/05 08:00 PM The importance of quarantine  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Ive always been a stickler for it, I think most people here are. BUT if anyone ever thinks, ''well, my birds vet checks came through ok, so I'll be safe to cut quarantine short'' DONT!!!! All my birds tests came back negative, would have been SOOOO easy to think ''Its time to take him out of isolation now, because I know he's ok''. Thank God I dont think like that. The next set of tests showed my bird to be PBFD positive. Because Id kept him in Q, the rest of my birds MAY have a bit of a chance. If Id eased up on the Q because of the forst false negative test, well, I guess it explains itself. Please, to those people who may be here, thinking quasrantine is a waste of time, it isnt. Its not neccessarily a lifesaveer nether, but it DOES give our birds a bit more chance. And we OWE them that.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#103749 - 09/08/05 11:39 PM Re: The importance of quarantine  
Riley Offline
Riley  Offline

Wishfull- I have been reading your story as it unfolds, my heart goes out to you.
How often are you having to take your birds in to be checked? Is everyone still ok?
((hugs))

#103750 - 09/09/05 12:06 AM Re: The importance of quarantine  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Hi Riley, and thankyou. I am planning on taking my birds in about every 12 weeks, I'll probably do that for about 12 months, then reduce it to twice yearly. At the moment they all seem fine, but poor Beefur passed away yesterday, which really gutted me, he was just a little baby. Im watching my birds like the proverbial hawk, and Im finding now that any 'normal' fluffing (ie after preening and just before a good shake) or any normal afternoon naps are leaving me cold inside. Nothing seems normal anymore, maybe this feeling will pass. My days of fostering or adopting avian friends are over, for a long, long time, I know. Quarantine hasnt prevented this, but it MAY have prevented the loss of 6 more lives, and THATS what counts. Im not meaning to preach to the choir here by any means, im mainly thinking of people who are perhaps new to birds, and dont realise the potential horrors of NOT quarantining.
I appreciate you asking after my precious birds, Thankyou.
Anne

#103751 - 09/09/05 12:41 AM Re: The importance of quarantine  
nanis mom Offline
nanis mom  Offline

NJ
I am so sorry for Beefur...I have also been following your story. Sometimes we learn the hard way, but I will definitely be careful in the future. Our precious birds rely on us so much for their care...we have to do what is right...I see how important quarantine is...we never know.... Take care.

#103752 - 09/09/05 02:18 PM Re: The importance of quarantine  
KristenAllissa Offline
KristenAllissa  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Wishfull, I am so sorry to hear about Beefur. That must be one of the most painful things to go through, much like losing a child. Little Beefur is at peace now and I know he is grateful to you for making his last days comfortable and happy. ((Hugs))

Kristen
Evie ~U2
Born 1999 Adopted 2004
Benjamin ~M2
Born 2010 Adopted 2015
RIP Jack ~M2
2000-2015
#103753 - 09/09/05 09:11 PM Re: The importance of quarantine  
Marie & Peaches Offline
Lives Here
Marie & Peaches  Offline
Lives Here

Oh, Wishful, I am so sorry about Beefer. You keep 'preaching to the choir'. We also need to keep 'Q' in the front of our minds.

#103754 - 09/09/05 10:25 PM Re: The importance of quarantine  
OzznMe Offline
OzznMe  Offline

IN
Wishfull- I am so sorry about Beefur. Is it safe to assume all the birds from that pet store where sold after being exposed to this? How many poor birds are now exposed when the new owners brought them home. It is so heartbreaking.

#103755 - 09/10/05 02:02 AM Re: The importance of quarantine  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Thankyou everyone for the condolances over Beefur. I had rehomed him to a much loved and highly trusted friend a couple of days before his passing, in order to try and give the rest of my flock more of a chance. I'll be honest, I would have gone along with euthanisation before Id have let his troubled little life end up in undeserving hands, thank God it didnt come to that. The news of his (?)natural, peaceful passing still came harder than a kick in the teeth tho, and I took it very badly. The petshop is 'supposedly under investigation. Not good enough at all. More budgies are in the very same cage that Beefur and the rest of the little birds were in, despite my warning to the proprietor. The shop, the premises, never mind the cage are a potential death sentence to every innocent bird that lands up there. The shop owner 'cant remember' who supplied him with Beefur, so I cant even warn the rotten breeder (though I doubt he/she would care anyway) I just know that im not going to be the only one who has wept themselves raw over the death of an innocent bird, and I know that Beefur isnt going to be the only innocent little victim.
Petshops..Breeders.... Enough said. I am working on getting that shop shut down. Id also like to fly and shout ''oink oink'' as Ive more chance of doing that. After all, PBFD happens dosent it. Nothing to do with neglect or cruelty of course. How DO you beat the blinded system? Im not giving up over this, but Im at a loss over where to turn next.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, Charlie, EchosMom, Janny