Mytoos

Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos...

Posted By: belle-ville

Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/12/09 06:26 AM

First and foremost--hi everyone! Its been a while! Things are... well, they're going. Leah is still plucking. I took her to the vet as you all had recommended, he said she had a nasty infection in the intestines. I medicated her but there has been no improvement in her feather destruction. For now we're just living with it. I just lost my job, however, so she might get better with my increased presence.

But on to a bit of help I need... I'm in a public speaking class and I really wanted to do my speech on why cockatoos make bad pets for the typical person. My target audience is a bunch of twenty-somethings that are in college. I am looking for any book, article, newspaper clipping or anything that could provide more substance to my claims than just my personal experience and opinion. I've taken all the quotes from the "references" page on the main mytoos.com site and gotten a few good references from the library database at my college. I am also hoping to find this book: "Of Parrots and People: The Sometimes Funny. Always Fascinating, and Often Catastrophic Collision of Two Intelligent Species" by Mira Tweti, a buddhist nun and animal rights writer/activist. (Most likely a good read...)

Anyone have anything they can pass my way?

Thanks!!
Posted By: Rukesmom

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/12/09 03:33 PM

Sorry to not have anything concrete but my thought is to try to get numbers of them in rescues and stats on their life spans! Make the point also on how horrific breeders are (much worse than puppy mills even)...
Good luck!
Tania
Posted By: Beeps

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/12/09 04:52 PM

Is this a speech where you will have the ability to show pictures (like through Power Point?) Because I'm sure there are members who can send you mutilation pictures and you know a picture is often worth a thousand words. Also pictures of bad bites from toos that humans received.

If you can somehow do a video/sound file, you could show one screaming.

Have you checked out Indonesian Parrot Project's website? Or the World Parrot Trust? They may have some additional information. Also the Avian Welfare Coalition.

If I think of or come across anything else, I'll post.
Posted By: Ladyhutch

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/12/09 08:06 PM

Have you checked the school library for the book? I would guess they have it. If not, how about Amazon.com?
Good luck.

Sharon

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/13/09 11:31 PM

Thanks for your help so far guys. What I have is a LOT of information so far from the few research studies that have been done on abnormal behavior in parrots kept in cages. I can post the more pertinent quotes that I decided to keep in case anyone wants it. I sat down with my professor and she gave me some ideas and told me I had enough research to back my claims. Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

We are required to used presentation aids so I had already decided on pictures of mostly pluckers, but also a few who mutilate. I am gonna use some audio of displays and alarm calls, and hopefully some pictures of those who have had their walls chewed up by toos. I might include a picture or two of a bite.

Through talking with my teacher my speech motive has kind of evolved from "don't get a cockatoo" to "here are the facts, decide if you would make a good adoptive owner" (which, from the outset I should have been thinking) so now I am wanting to show maybe the good and the bad instead of crossing twenty-something people off the list of potential adopters.

I'll post you guys info on the speech once I'm done if you want.
Posted By: ParrotPerson

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/13/09 11:42 PM

Bring Leah! No seriously, bring her. I mean it!

I can give all the speeches in the world on why cockatoos or any other birds make horrible "pets", but it's all meaningless unless someone sees them with their own eyes.

From a Public Speaking standpoint (I had to take several of those classes in college) you want something that will draw the audience in. From a Parrots' Rights standpoint, you need something that will demonstrate what it is you'll be talking about.

If she scream... so what! That's part of the point you'll be making. If she goes to attack someone (through the cage/carrier hopefully) again, that's another part of the point you're trying to make.

I give tours to the public all the time at Best Friends and nothing is quite as effective as making my point as the birds themselves are. If you allow for a lot of flexibility in your speech (don't restrict yourself to saying only certain things at certain times) anything Leah says or does in the class will all fit right in.
Posted By: Beeps

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/13/09 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: belle-ville
Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

If one of the mods wants to send you my e-mail address, I can put you in touch with some rescues that will say this.

The rescue where I volunteer is on a waiting list for surrendered large birds right now, and I know several in our area are unable to take any more in.

I can also get you information regarding number of parrots broken down by species surrendered to the rescue where I volunteer over the past few years (or just toos if that's all you care about).

However, I will most likely be without computer access until Monday, so if you do e-mail me, don't expect a super quick response!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Beeps
Originally Posted By: belle-ville
Now she wants me to see if I can find quotes from different rescues saying that they are full and underfunded.

If one of the mods wants to send you my e-mail address, I can put you in touch with some rescues that will say this.

The rescue where I volunteer is on a waiting list for surrendered large birds right now, and I know several in our area are unable to take any more in.

I can also get you information regarding number of parrots broken down by species surrendered to the rescue where I volunteer over the past few years (or just toos if that's all you care about).

However, I will most likely be without computer access until Monday, so if you do e-mail me, don't expect a super quick response!

Same here. I can also run some facts and figures by you regarding how many adoptions we've had, birds we currently have and proportion of Cockatoos to other species.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 01:04 AM

Wow beeps & parrotperson those statistics would be EXACTLY what I need!! Although I want to make my point, and thought about bringing Leah, I still have to mind my grade, and having Leah there the whole time would really have a negative impact on my grade. I've brought her to classes before and she doesn't scream or attack/lunge, she just kind of sits there like a stuffed animal... and I failed my first speech, so failing a second is not an option... I mean... I'll ask her if she thinks it would be a welcome addition but I doubt it. But those statistics would be perfect if it's not too much work!!
Posted By: Charlie

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 03:10 AM

I'll e-mail the addresses to you, Amanda. Good luck!

(Oh, Mira Tweti is not a Buddhist nun! LOL) smile
Posted By: Bird Mom

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 03:37 AM

Keep us updated!
Posted By: EchosMom

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 07:51 PM

If you need more statistics, I'd be happy to provide you with some from Project Perry as well.
Posted By: Macawman

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 09:08 PM

I think Monica Engebretson of Born Free summed things up quite nicely in a recent article.

http://www.opposingviews.com/articles/opinion-should-birds-be-kept-as-pets

Reqarding stats, we are at 100% capacity, but that is only 60 -70 birds now versus 100-125 this time a year or two ago. Donations are dead and adoptions have dropped to a trickle (as have the adoption fees that we depend on to pay the bills). In order to maintain the same quality of care, we have had no choice to reduce our maximum capacity by 40% to stay within what little we have in the way of resources and keep our doors open.

On the flip side of the coin, we currently have over 60 birds on the waiting list for admission and must, unfortunately, turn away 5 to 6 a week. In those cases, we can't even recommend any place else because eveyone we know of and work with is just as strapped as we are.

Dave

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/14/09 11:08 PM

I did run a couple numbers and came up with 16.666666% That's the percentage of Cockatoos to other birds here at the sanctuary. It doesn't sound like much until you consider the over 200 species of potential parrots and that we only have about 1% Eclectus and 3% Macaw.

Oh... and Amazons, Cockatiels and Greys make up the rest of the larger groups but I didn't figure those numbers out.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/16/09 02:24 AM

Thanks guys! Writing all this info down!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/16/09 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Charlie
(Oh, Mira Tweti is not a Buddhist nun! LOL) smile

Ack! What is she?? Lol the article I read described her as a "Zen Nun" and animal welfare writer/activist...

Also, parrotperson, the email address charlie had for you gave me an error when I tried to email you... maybe can a moderator give you my email address? smile

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/24/09 09:43 PM

Echosmom can I pretty please have statistics on project perry? Thank you!!!

I am getting very close, guys smile Today I am writing up the bulk of the outline of my speech, I have been here for almost 4 hours... and am presenting in one week smile
Posted By: Brandy's mom

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/29/09 03:52 PM

Hope it's coming together! Are we going to get a link to the finished project?

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/29/09 05:59 PM

Here are some more stats from Project Perry.

YTD 10% of the request for surrenders have been for cockatoos. The only 2 species of birds that we received more requests for were finches (35) and cockatiels (32).

Like Dave, we are having to turn down lots of requests each and every week. Instead we offer them assistance with our re-homing program, where we assist trying to match up surrenders with adoptors.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 12:04 AM

Brandy's mom: I can link you to a video of me giving the speech, just not for my class. It's going to be recorded in a lab, we're not taping the ones in the class. I'll definitely give the outline to anyone who wants it!

Thank you echosmom.

Can anyone help out with a few mutilation or plucking pictures? If not, I'm gonna scour youtube! Thanks for all your help guys. smile

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 02:24 AM

Amanda, there are quite a few pictures on Noelle's 2 threads:

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188957#Post188957

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=211747&page=1

They are all in Photobucket, and if you right click the pictures it should let you save them to your computer. Feel free to use any that you like.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 02:52 AM

EM thanks so much for letting me use them. Can I use some of the pictures from the project perry website?

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 04:27 AM

You certaintly may Amanda!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 12:26 PM

Is there any way I can contact Kim & Lily to ask her if I can use two of her pictures where her toos escaped and got to her walls?

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 01:04 PM

You can download the sound file from this page (about half way down).

http://www.mytoos.com/parrots2.shtml

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 01:10 PM

Thanks soooo much!!
Posted By: FeatheredAngels

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 11/30/09 08:27 PM

With all the information avail from this site, I bet your speech is going to be awesome hun.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/01/09 02:22 AM

Amanda, I will email Kim and direct her to this thread. smile
Posted By: Kim & Lilly

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/01/09 03:58 AM

Amanda,

Oh course you can use anything I have. I wish you the best of luck with your speech and will be anxious to hear about it.

Below are a few links. If you need my sign in and password to download anything you want to print, let EM know and I will get them to you.

Cockatoo Damage:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/556428771cNamcy

Cockatoo Bites:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/561083770JBRdNk

Mutilating M2:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561114924bvANRB

Screaming Cockatoo Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5PlPNtUacQ

*Just a side note. I do let my male Moluccans have and play with cardboard boxes, especially Andy, But I do NOT let my female U2's have any kind of box what so ever! To risky to nest in.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/01/09 12:00 PM

Thanks to all, I am putting the finishing touches on my speech. I met with my professor today so she could look over my speech and basically she said I had too many ideas swirling around so she wants me to focus it a little more. Originally my purpose was more along the lines of "be informed, spread information, choose whether or not a parrot is for you and if it is, adopt, if not, donate/sponsor" but I guess now the purpose will be "after hearing all of this, if you still want a parrot, adopt. If not, sponsor/donate."

I'm being sneaky and pretty much everything anyone tells me to take out of the introduction and conclusion I'm slipping into other places.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/01/09 02:23 PM

Ha Ha! Yes, their job is to educate you and it is always easier and more effective to focus that process so that all steps in the process are clear and well defined. They would never allow you to select a topic like "chemistry" but would want you to select something like "organic chemistry in cosmetics" or something similar. LOL You'll do fine! Keep up the good work because professors appreciate passion too! cool

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/04/09 05:39 AM

Here is a link to a video recording of my speech, I will also post the outlines if anyone wants to see them... I nailed my speech, thanks everyone soooo much for your help!

I can also post the powerpoint if anyone wants to see it? It's just 2 simple picture montages, a sound clip of cockatoos screaming a final picture with 2 pictures of mango from CARE.

Let me know both what you guys want and (charlie) what I can upload.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/04/09 05:45 AM

LOL - you forgot the link.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/04/09 03:20 PM

OH yes! I'd love to see/hear it! Thanks!
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/04/09 04:37 PM

Yes Please!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/05/09 12:32 AM

LMAO whoops! Here's the link.

That was recorded at like 2 in the morning so sorry for looking like a zombie lmao!

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/mruiz028/?action=view&current=Video15.flv

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/05/09 12:47 AM

Bravo!!!!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/05/09 03:13 AM

Thanks! In the middle of the speech someone muttered "are you trying to convince me to not get a parrot?" i looked at him, smiled and said "maybe" lol

After class, a girl that was considering buying a cockatoo thanked me for my info and said she wouldn't be going back to the pet store laugh

Apparently the store owner had told her that the cockatoo would want to cuddle all day...

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/05/09 05:21 AM

Thank you for sharing!! Very well done....even at 2AM! Good results from educating your classmate on parrot ownership.
Posted By: FunnyFarm

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/05/09 09:04 PM

VERY NICE!
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/06/09 05:03 AM

I agree. Excellent! ESPECIALLY for 2AM !!
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/06/09 01:12 PM

Fantastic job!!! In just 10 minutes you were able to provide so much valuable information in a very organized manner. What a great speech to pair with video of parrots to demonstrate the behaviors. You could post it on Youtube and send a message to a huge number of people!
Nancy
Posted By: FeatheredAngels

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/06/09 08:02 PM

Wonderful job! Sounds like you already convinced a couple of people that life with a Too, isn't an easy job.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/07/09 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
Fantastic job!!! In just 10 minutes you were able to provide so much valuable information in a very organized manner. What a great speech to pair with video of parrots to demonstrate the behaviors. You could post it on Youtube and send a message to a huge number of people!
Nancy

Hi Nancy, not a bad idea!! If anyone wants to collaborate, I can record a voice-only version of the speech and we can put it with a powerpoint or slideshow type thing and put it on youtube?

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/12/09 10:58 PM

Anyone want the outline? Just let me know...

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/12/09 11:22 PM

I would like a copy for future reference and research.

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/12/09 11:59 PM

I sent a copy of all the files that went into the project to beeps and you, charlie.

Anyone else want it?
Posted By: Birdfriend

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/13/09 12:14 AM

Oh heavens, yes! I do. But I think it would be too much trouble to figure out how to do that!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/13/09 02:32 AM

I'll send your e-mail address to Amanda, Birdfriend.
Posted By: Birdfriend

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/13/09 02:46 AM

OOOOO! Thank you, Charlie!! Got it! Thank you, Amanda!!

Re: Trying to prepare a speech on cockatoos... - 12/13/09 05:41 AM

No Problem, birdfriend smile
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!