Mytoos

Baby Cockatoo Behavior

Posted By: Lourdes

Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:09 PM

I just purchased a 7-week-old Umbrella Cockatoo. I know, I just read in the message board that baby Cockatoos are not supposed to be for sale at that age. I am a first time owner and fell in love with the baby. I had been looking for a Cockatoo for a long time and had a bad experience with a full grown Cockatoo who was abused. One minute he was sweet and the next minute he would go for a full attach on the first person that he came into contact with. My husband, out of desperation seeing all the bruises in my arms from the horrible bites; sold Charlie (that was the cockatoo's name) without my consent.

Now we have this 7-week-old baby (Corky) but I am very concerned. Corky is lying down to sleep and sleeps an awful lot. I have looked and looked for normal baby cockatoo behavior and can't find anything. I am a parent without a guide. If any of you have any tips for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lourdes
Posted By: Relle

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:22 PM

Lourdes, I cannot stress this enough!!! GET THAT BABY TO A VET, NOW, RIGHT NOW, THIS MINUTE!!!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:25 PM

I spoke to the breeder and he told me that he is lying down because he is a baby.
Posted By: MMM

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:26 PM

Hi Lourdes -

Welcome to Mytoos. Please understand that this message board is strictly against the breeding, buying and selling of cockatoos. I suggest that you go to www.mytoos.com to see why we are against supporting the pet-bird trade in any way.

Now that that's out of the way....

Can you take your baby back to the breeder and ask for a refund? Selling babies that young is irresponsible and an inexperienced hand feeder can easily kill a baby bird. I wouldn't want you to have to hold the burden of hurting your baby simply because you weren't educated properly. Relle is right - TAKE CORKY TO A VET - your breeder might seem reputable/knowledgable to you, but if he's sold you a 7 week old baby, he's NOT concerned about the welfare of Corky!

Please don't take offence to my question - but are you aware that Cockatoos generally do bite? Granted some are worse than others, but because they are not domesticated animals they do what come naturally (which is bite and scream). Once your Corky matures (and starts acting like every other U2 that I know), will your husband "sell" him too?

Personally, I think that selling a family member (feathered furred or otherwise) would be grounds for divorce.

*-sigh-*
Posted By: LoveMy2

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:33 PM

Lourdes - Listen to Relle - NOT the breeder!! Get this baby to an avain vet now!!
Posted By: hellobaby

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 09:36 PM

Please, for the love of this bird, get it to an Avian Vet right away. Have the Vet show you what and how to feed this bird properly. Improper feeding (weaning) can cause a host of problems now and later - including death.

I am relatively near you.
Here are a couple of excellent Avian Vets:

Dr. Harris - 305-234-BIRD (2473)
Avian Exotic Animal Medical Center
12125 S. Dixie Hwy; Miami, FL, 33156
http://avianexotic.com/

Dr. Kelleher - 954-968-7171
Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
611 NW 31st Ave., Pompano Beach, FL, 33069
[url=http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/
http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/[/url]

Have a pen & paper ready in case you're calling after hours and need to take down the emergency number![/b]

Let us know how things go, and PLEASE get in touch with me privately and tell me who the breeder is. parrotphotos.us@gmail.com I want you to know that you have a couple of us sort of near you who will be willing to help out. Just let us know.

Lynne
Posted By: Garnet

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 10:10 PM

Fourthing (?) the vet suggestion. At seven weeks, the baby will sleep a lot (well over 12 hours a day) but should also spend time upright and alert. How well do you know how to hand feed and wean a baby parrot? It's difficult and at seven weeks, your baby cockatoo is nowhere near being able to eat independently.
I'd suggest that you head to an avian vet and get advice on what to feed the baby and how to feed it.

I recommend seeing a vet because, unfortunately, it sounds like your breeder is doing everything wrong. Baby parrots especially should not be sold at the age of seven weeks to unexperienced hand feeders, as properly hand feeding baby parrots isn't easy, and cockatoos are the most sensitive and difficult to wean parrots of them all. Also, raising a baby cockatoo in total isolation from other baby parrots and its parents is not a good idea, even though almost all parrot breeders do it. They are, however, ignoring a lot of basic animal behavior principles. What happens when a baby parrot is raised in isolation from its siblings and parents is that you get a parrot that is 100% imprinted on people and has no idea how to act like a bird. This makes for friendly, cuddly baby parrots, but once the parrot hits maturity, it directs all sexual and territoral behaviour onto humans. The result is a badly maladjusted adult parrot that has no idea what to do with itself.

Anyway, what's done is done, but to give your parrot a chance at being a happy adult, please read all you can about cockatoo parrot behaviour. Back issues of Companion Parrot Quarterly might help you out, and check out A Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior by Mattie Sue Athan. Head to the vet and be sure that you're feeding this little cockatoo correctly if you're not sure. A vet will also be able to tell you if your baby is in good health (something people on an internet board won't be able to do if they can't see your bird). Do a google seach on "Abundance Weaning" as well, to learn how to wean your baby correctly when the time comes.

Garnet
Posted By: kylie

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 11:12 PM

Poor little thing, this is actually the youngest too I have read about. Like some of us you have got the too after listening to the breeder and then found Mytoos afterward. People on here might sound abit harsh but they do know what they are talking about, sounds like you are gonna need all the help you can get. Good luck!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 11:16 PM

Our Too is living proof that this is true!

Quote:
What happens when a baby parrot is raised in isolation from its siblings and parents is that you get a parrot that is 100% imprinted on people and has no idea how to act like a bird. This makes for friendly, cuddly baby parrots, but once the parrot hits maturity, it directs all sexual and territoral behaviour onto humans. The result is a badly maladjusted adult parrot that has no idea what to do with itself.
Lynne
Posted By: Jason Paszkiewicz

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 11:33 PM

Lourdes, Do the breeder even tell you the bird needs to be handfed or did he say it was weaned?? Handfeeding can be tricky if you have never done it before!! The temperature has to be right on, not to hot or to cold. To hott... crop burn!! To cold.. the food is no warm enough to digest and can cause crop stasis, where the food rots in the crop!! For sure seek out an avian vet. in the nearest area ASAP!! I too have never heard of such a young too or any large parrot, being sold soo young!! Good Luck and remember we are all here to help you!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 11:47 PM

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in Miami. I would bet as a result of this breeder's behavior there have been some angry buyers, heartbroken families and dead birds. These are living creatures - not toys to be thrown away.

I would really like to know who this breeder is. These types of people should be exposed for what they truly are. They exploit living creatures for profit without one iota of care for those bird's lives. I hope to hear from Lourdes soon, and I hope our words of advice (SEE A VET) are taken seriously before something bad happens.

Lynne
Posted By: Charlie

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/12/06 11:51 PM

I would try for a refund also. Print out this page and take it with you. This person is, at best, unethical. I hope this gets out into the avian community because these people have no respect for intelligent avian life. This baby chick does need a vet immediately, however. Please keep us informed! angry
Posted By: emmy

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 12:20 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take Corky to an avian vet--ASAP. We also bought our Emmy (goffin) from a breeder about 13 years ago and he kept stringing us along about how to take care of her. Everything turned around when we got her to a good vet and she received excellent care and we got excellent advice. We were also told that she would always be a sweet, quiet bird. NOT! but we love her anyway. If the breeder really cared about Corky he would have recommend an avian vet when he sold Corky to you.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 01:34 AM

The breeder is nothing but a money loving crook, shyster and heartless killer of birds. It's a shame that people like that breath good air.

Purchasing a baby in the hopes that it will act any different in the long run than an abused bird is one of the biggest lies in the industry. As many handfed birds have been given away as any other.

Please dont waste time as this baby suffers at the hands of the shameless (breeder) and the inexperienced...
Posted By: Sheal

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 02:05 AM

It was stated that the breeder doesn't care, why would she want to bring him\her back to a breeder that doesn't care about the welfare. He's just going to resell the feather-baby (I call them babies because they are like children, it's a lifelong committment we are talking about here, I even call my dog a fur-baby). I say take that 'too to a rescue center where it WILL be cared about and loved until it is old enough and then either adopt it out or adopt it back. NEVER buy from a pet store or breeder, they are bird mills and nothing but bird mills..to them the bottom line matters (money walks and talks to them) not the little life that they are destroying. When they are laying down in the bottom of their cage it can mean alot of things, most likely hypothermia, the baby isn't warm enough and is losing heat, means his core temp has gone below the tolerable levels, you have to remember these birds are "tropical". They come from Australia, it's hot 365 days a year there, they are supseptible to colds, and drafts aren't good for them. Take that feather-baby to an avian vet ASAP, as in NOW or you are going to lose that baby.

Sheal

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 02:31 AM

Quote:
why would she want to bring him\her back to a breeder that doesn't care about the welfare
If a breeder can be persuaded to give the money back and take the bird back, it may plant a seed in his mind. Not many will because they have money in their grubby hands. The older the chick is, the harder it is to sell. It may make him think "Is this worth it?" A chick may be sacrificed for the good of the ones that MAY follow. The line has to be drawn somewhere and if this chick is not picked up soon by someone who really knows the score, it has very dim future prospects. Tough deal, huh? The best cared for of these birds is living half a life anyway.

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 02:35 AM

That's not the way I see it, these people don't give two flying cr@ps about these little lives, think about it, how long has he been a breeder? Probably long time, doesn't care one way or another. He still makes his money reselling the bird from his bird mill either to a pet store in "bulk" with other little feather-babies or to an individual who doesn't know any better and can be scamed. Bottom line, he makes money doing this indecent, inhumaine and should be illegal act anyway, he doesn't care.

Sheal

If a person can save just one life, even ONE then it justifies the meaning of their life to save that one life. It starts one life at a time. I don't find it justifiable to "sacrifice" one life for the good of many. One sacrifice leads to another and then another and another...one life is one too many for me personally.

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 02:46 AM

I see you're involved in "child abuse" and "child welfare". Apples and oranges. I not going to address children, obviously, but Cockatoos are "wild animals" and the best life we can provide is less than what they need. I really don't want to say any more about it at this time because this thread may be of use to Lourdes; but I'd like to!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 02:56 AM

If you would like to discuss it more, I am happy to PM back and forth. Don't get me wrong, Cockatoos deserve so much more than we can give them but like mytoos.com says that just is not going to happen, people are going to keep buying or adopting these animals without the knowledge that it requires and you're right child rights are different from animals rights. Mother Nature ment for her animals to be wild and free, but if we can help just one, even one little life we have that obligation to do so. If you noticed in another post, I am also an animal rights activist as well. Our animals are our future, without them our ecology would fail miserably! Cockatoos were ment to be in the wild as any other animal but the "high and mighty" human being does not fathom the repurcussions (sp?) of its actions and choses to destroy what we have 99.9% of the time as a species. I too will chose to stop here because you are right, this thread should be more of use to Lourdes rather than a battle ground of opinions and thoughts, if you want email me and we can go from there, I would welcome your thoughts anytime not because I want to "fight" about it but a good natured debate is my middle name.
Posted By: Linus&Nancy

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/13/06 03:48 AM

Lourdes, you have you're hands full to say the least. And i thought linus was young at 6 months when i got him. Guys.. corky has been placed. what is done is done..Lourdes..get that baby to a vet as soon as you can... get the vet to show you how and what to feed corky. go in the past forums on here and search hand feeding..weaning...and everything you can about a baby. The people here are very knowledgable about these guys.. and can help a great deal. you need right now to sit down and think... do you have to time to devote to this baby, if you do, proceed and get all the help and info you can about feeding him. if you cant, then do as they have said and ask the breeder for a refund. people like that, in my book..should be shot.
now,if you are determined to keep this little guy, then you must be responsible and read and learn just as much as you can about the breed, the behaviour, feeding etc and responsible care of them.it can be a pure blessing, but it can also be a hellish nightmare. good luck and let us know how the lil guy is, and how he is progressing. people here dont forget about the feathered ones, so im sure everyone will be waiting to get updates from you. good luck!
linus and nancy

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/14/06 02:28 PM

I was just wondering how everything is going? Hope feather baby is okay and so are you Lourdes. Worried about the both of you and thinking about you and feather baby. Keeping yous two in my thoughts and hoping things turn out.

Sheal

Quote:
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed - Antoine De Saint Exupery
Posted By: Debrew

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/14/06 05:07 PM

Wow, that is really young, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by some negative posts, you have just as much right to take care of and love you bird as much as anyone here that owns one.

With that being said there is alot of knowledgable people here, much more then myself so please stick around and READ READ READ>>

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/14/06 09:05 PM

Debrew - I don't believe anyone here as meant to discuss or give an opinion has to whether or not Lourdes has the right to have a bird. I think the main concern here is that a person was sold a 7 week old baby bird. Not only is this extremely dangerous for abd to the bird's health and well-being, it also really sets Lourdes up for a failure. Not to mention that this breeder should be fined, sued and/or jailed for animal abuse/neglect among other things (like being an ignorant, pompous ass).

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/15/06 12:07 AM

I really hope Lourdes comes back and lets us know how things are going. I also hope to hear about this breeder so this kind of thing doesn't keep happening. Just think of all the people who, unlike Lourdes, don't manage to find their way to a forum where they can learn.

Lynne

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/16/06 08:03 PM

Lourdes, I sure hope you can get back to us. I hope Corky is o.k. If not, I am very sorry. If so, maybe we can be of more assistance. I hope you can let us know either way. Thinking about you both!
Posted By: Debrew

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/17/06 02:08 AM

The issue here is the bird's HEALTH, not the breeder the breeder is not here on this board,The person needing help is!

The fact is 99% of Americans couldn't care less about exotic birds to them a too/parrot is the same as anybird.Only those lucky enough have the experiance to know how wonderfull these creatures really are will ever know.

Having the breeder jailed/prosecuted is just a fantasy of your anger. There are only 50% of U.S. state that protect dogs. 0% on Exotic animals. Except the importation of these animals. Is the guy a scumbag money grubber, YES...Is anything we can do about no frown

I really wish the best for this bird and it's new owner.
Best wishes

BTW I do admire alot of what Charlie has done here,no doubt a great effort on his part. Prevention and Education is the key as he is doing.
Posted By: jennibee

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/17/06 02:26 AM

I wish Lourdes would come back on and let us know that Corky is okay.

Before I even knew there was such thing as rescuing 'toos, and maybe before mytoos was hatched, I bought my M2 George B. He was eight weeks old when I paid for him, but I did not bring him home until he was twelve weeks old.

From reading on mytoos, it seems that 3 months is even considered young, but at the time I had no idea. He had learned to sit on a perch, and was eating food on his own. But I fed him oatmeal, mashed potatoes, fruit, etc by hand as well.

I had read several cockatoo books before bringing Georgie home, and we have survived together, but how much easier it would have been to have mytoos to learn from! And I could not have made it through George's initial hormone surge without Jerry's advice, that's for sure!

I hope Lourdes comes back to share and learn, and that Corky is doing well!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/17/06 04:28 AM

Quote:
DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by some negative posts, you have just as much right to take care of and love you bird as much as anyone here that owns one.
Debrew, please don't misunderstand me. I was simply stating that I didn't feel that anyone here was intentionally questioning whether or not Lourdes had a right to own a bird. But, in fact, we are all concerned about the bird's health and well being as much as trying to assist Lourdes in a difficult situation. I am well aware of abuse and neglect laws in realizing that this breeder mostly likely will not be stopped from his/her unprofessional practices.
Posted By: Skylark

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/18/06 03:27 PM

Everyone else has stated the obvious about the birds age, danger, and Lourde's being set up for failure.

I just wanted to add that baby cockatoos lie down to sleep. This baby is probably barely perching at this point. Make sure you keep it warm and give it blankets to lie down on and change them frequently.

Hopefully Lourdes comes back with some answers to all the questions about feeding the baby that have been asked. "A parent without a guide?" That's a baby in deep trouble.

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 04:41 PM

Thanks to all for replying and caring. Corky has been to the avian vet twice. Corky had an infection WBC was a little high. Took Mytastin and Sulfatrin for 7 days and went back to the AV yesterday for a follow up. Corky looks great but his White Blood cell count was still high and the vet recomended that we wait another week to see if more antibiotics are needed. I am perplexed because Corky seems perfectly fine now. I don't understand why his WBC would still be off.

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 04:49 PM

Jenebee, Lovemy2 and Debrew thank you for your support. As a new Cockatoo owner I was horrified and you guys provided the info without the bs.

Thanks,
Lourdes

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 04:56 PM

Lourdes - so glad you are back!! Glad Corky is doing o.k., albeit a high WBC. There can be so many, many different reasons for this! Keep an eye on him and follow doctor's orders. Alot of babies get yeast infections when hand-feeding. Nystatin is pretty good at curing this. And there are alot of different antibiotics out there that can help with the WBC, although need to be careful for treating this when yeast is present. How is he eating? What are you using for hand-feeding formula? Do keep in touch with us - we are here for you to help any way we can! smile

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 05:20 PM

I'm glad you're back, and doubly glad that you've had him checked thoroughly.

Lynne
Posted By: emmy

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 05:50 PM

Glad to hear that Corky is recovering. A good avian vet is so important to the health of the birds that own us. (Wish I had known this before we got Emmy.) Hope you’re doing OK, too. It can be very stressful when our birds are ill.
Posted By: jm47

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 09:35 PM

A high WBC is a healthy reaction to an infection, isn't it? It means the body is fighting off the "bug" whether it's yeast or bacteria or virus. The "extra" week of antibiotics is an attempt to make sure the bird, not the "bug", is the winner!
(I've been in the situation, not my bird, but me, where a high WBC prompted a doc to keep pumping antibiotics, and that's the way they explained it to me. You want to kill off all the bugs, so you aren't just creating a colony of super-resistant ones that will make him sick again and again frown )

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/21/06 11:36 PM

Hey Jody - the white blood cell count does, indeed, tell us that there's an infection present. However, giving too much antibiotic when there is yeast present usually only makes the yeast worse, or at best keeps it at bay if using something to counteract it like Nystatin. I think the vet might have wanted to wait a week to put Corkey back on antibiotics due to the yeast, and antibiotic use can get to be tough on the internal system if used too long. Also, using antibiotics for too long or too often can actually help to build a stonger bacteria that is more resistant to antibiotics. That's why our doctors don't like to put us on an antibiotic unless really needed. If we went on antibiotic everytime we had the sniffles when/if a really nasty infection started antibiotics might not work as well. Yak, Yak, Yak. Sorry, I got carried away. :rolleyes:

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/22/06 12:11 AM

Yay, corky is still ok, I hope you are too lourdes

Sheal
Posted By: jennibee

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/22/06 07:25 PM

Lourdes,

I am so happy that you came back, and that Corky is doing better. My George B got a sneezy infection when he was less than a year old, and it was several weeks of vet visits and trying to get pink medicine down his beak - entertaining and stressful - but he has been fine since. I was a worried wreck, and did not have mytoos.com friends to help!

Everyone is giving you lots of good advice here, and we care very much about the welfare of cockatoos and all birds as you can tell, no doubt! laugh

Please feel free to keep us posted, read lots, and ask questions as needed - it is always great to obtain advice and information from others that have gone through what you are now going through!

On another note, I'll bet Corky is the cutest! I just saw a 12-week baby umbrella the other day, and although I am immune to his charms as I am already owned by a beloved M2, I can see he was a little fluffy ball of feathery love! Amazing, they are...

Looking forward to hearing more about Corky, and a photo one of these days, too!
Posted By: jm47

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/22/06 09:26 PM

Well, my choice of treatments for a yeast infection would definitely include yogurt or kefir. smile But then, I'm not a vet, and I'm not a people-doc either. :rolleyes: My point was, the high WBC is not the infection itself, but the (proper, healthy) reaction to an infection.
Posted By: flowerchild

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/22/06 10:23 PM

OMG! jennibee. a sick bird without mytoos for support! i'd almost forgotten what that was like. though i did survive for 25 yrs without you guys, not all of my birds did. and now that i'm here, i can't imagine a bird crisis without all of you! it was "too" hard without you all!

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/24/06 08:48 PM

It is so hard to find info on baby cockatoos. Do you guys know at what age it is appropiate to buy a cockatoo. Is it 3 or 6 months. I now know that it is ok for babies to lay down. I would love to find a book or info that would detail age appropiate info. When are they supposed to walk perfectly or climb their cage. When will they start picking up food with their feet. etc. I am going to the vet again on Wed. I am seeing another vet in that office because I am not confident with my current vet. Mind you this is an Avian and Exotic clinic this is all they see.
Sometimes I don't know if I am doing the right thing with Corky and I really want to be a good Mom. I know that what I do now may affect how Corcky will behave in the future.
Posted By: wishfull

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/24/06 11:30 PM

Lourdes, I am not experienced enough in Cockatoos to give a 'knowledgeable' reply. However, from what I am learning, there is NO age that is RIGHT to buy a bay cockatoo. There may be times when 'payment' is validated, simply because it gets an older bird out of a crappy situation. However, even then, that payment COULD lead to more captive birds being produced. Above all, I would say 'Baby cockatoos should never be bought'.
I admire you, and the way you have dealt with and personally analised the info being thrown at you. Sure, it rocked and hurt you at first, but you were keen enough to learn, that you came back. MAYBE, for once in a lifetime, a baby cockatoo has a chance, thanks to you, and your resilience, and determination to be a good parent. The only advice I can give you, is NEVER lose sight of this topic, even if the board is dead and gone in years to come. Never lose the passion of those who love the birds. My dream for your bird???? The day that you are shakilly writing your last will and testament, you ponder long and hard as to who is FIT and WORTHY to take on your aged friend.
To me, that is a good outcome.
Anne x smile

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/25/06 04:53 AM

Hi Lourdes. I think the best time to buy a "baby" is when they are weaned and eating on their own. Especially if you've never had a baby before. But this isn't your case, so we should concentrate on your situation at hand. I can tell you when I got Luca he was 5 months old and was still having trouble with his big feet. wink He'd run around tripping over his feet and was still being hand fed. He was still pretty clumsy for at least a couple more months after that, but he was climbing,playing and grabbing things with his feet when I got him. He hand fed for probably 2-3 more months after that as he was weaning himself. I also gave him lots of different foods during this time to get him interested in eating on his own. He continued to beg until he was about 18 months old, but wouldn't allow me to hand feed him during this time. I still gave him hand feeding formula in a dish. This especially seemed to help him when he was feeling insecure. He did (and still does) really want to be cuddled and acknowledged. I haven't been around many baby cockatoos on a daily basis to know what stages your baby will be going through. Hopefully, your vet will be able to tell you more, as well as other folks here on the board. Also, keep on searching for stuff all over the internet. Kudos to you! Seems like you're doing a great job! smile
Posted By: Linus&Nancy

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 04/25/06 05:45 AM

Well i for one, have to give lourdes a great round of applause. You hang in there with that baby, none of us are perfect and its a learning process every single day with these guys. I think, with the vet visit and your current researching, not to mention the love of the little corkey...you have a great beginning....keep up the good work!!!
Im not the pro, but linus was 6-7months old when i got him..he is now 16 months old and bless his heart..he is still clumsy with his big feet. We just take it slow. He used to not have a very good grip when i first came to this board. I was concerned that maybe he didnt have the strength. Well i am here to tell you little man has a death grip from hell now. They grow into their feet it seems. keep us posted on little corkey now everyone is concerned
Posted By: Ike 'n Monica

Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior - 05/03/06 07:04 AM

Just want to give our input on this situation.
Before we knew it wasn't the thing to do, we raised a bunch of M2's, right from the egg.
At the age of your bird they are pretty tough. There is a lot to know, but we went into it without knowing a thing and only one person we could find to give us advice. We never lost any. It's not nearly as critical when the bird is older like yours. If it's still laying down to sleep, it won't be long before it won't and it will slowly start getting out of the box and starting to explore.

Are you feeding it hand feeding formula? I would suggest doing it off a spoon, like a padded baby spoon as opposed to a syringe. That way they stop eating when they are full.
At that age they are not shy about telling you if they are hungry either.

It won't be too long before it's time to try out the wings. I think this is really imporant-teach it how to fly before you clip it's wings. It's going to crash quite a few times at first, but we were able to get them to fly to us by holding out our arms standing 10 feet or so from the top of the cage. We would tap on our arms while encouraging them to come to us. It won't take long before they can do it with ease. I think you'll know when it's time to clip.

Be forewarned, as was already said, it's not going to know it's a bird. It never will. That means when it gets mature you may be in for the same unpredictable behaviour. Only this time, because you are so attached because you have had it since it was a cuddly ball of feathers, it's going to hurt, and this emotional hurt is hard to deal with, sometimes alot more than the physical hurt you will probably get too. I hope for the bird's sake you can deal with it.

FYI, this is all based on our experiences with M2's, but I think U2's are close to the same.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!