Mytoos

Brought my first 'Too home today

Posted By: zorastro

Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 02:34 AM

With the help of Jacque at Best Friends, I have brought my first 'Too home today! Yay! So far, so good as she explores her new digs and meets the rest of the group (2 Amazons - from BF's, 1 Cockatiel and 1 Conure). Also getting to know Great Danes and a Greyhound. She lost her human about 2 months ago to cancer and she's been living all alone in the house. The son has been by daily to feed her and play with her, but he was unable to take her. Tears were shed by he and his wife today when they sent her to her forever home with me! She's doing very well and seems to be adjusting more rapidly than I expected! smile She's a mutilator and any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: Beeps

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 02:54 AM

Hello and welcome, and thanks for adopting! Unfortunately, a fair number of us have experience with mutilators, so you've come to the right place for help/information/commiseration about that topic.

Good luck as you embark on your life together!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 02:59 AM

Thank you so much. She's approx. 27 yrs old. M2. No feathers on her front and minimal on her back "shoulders". She seems to be a real sweetheart and is doing well so far.
Posted By: Anniesmom

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 03:05 AM

Welcome to the group and big yeahs for adopting. I have a Goffin that mutilates so have been there, best thing I can say is love your baby for who they are which you have already shown by adopting.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 03:21 AM

This is purely anecdotal, but many of the mutilators/former mutilators I've met (including the two in my flock) are also among the sweetest birds I've met.

It's as though their gentle souls make captivity that much tougher on them that they resort to mutilating to get through.

She's very lucky to have landed with you. Many people are unable to look past outward appearances; I'm so glad she's in a loving home again!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 03:23 AM

I've always been involved in Rescue. Up until the past year it was only dogs/cats. Then I was adopted by my first bird ... lol a 'tiel who found me at my work place. I fell in love with him and have found a new world in birds...

Beeps, I agree. One of my faves at Best Friends is a mutilator named Charlie. I ADORE her! All she wants to do is cuddle and from what I've heard about Fred, she's the same way. She was in an abusive home for awhile before she found her last home. She had her for 12 years before she died, so Fred knew love. I can tell already she's going to want to "snuggle", but she's just a little out of sorts. Can't blame her after a 5 hr drive and a new human to get used to. I plan on a rather "quiet" week for her this week, and then I'm on vacation for a week... at that point I want to really start establishing a bond with her. She's eating already and I consider that a good sign..

When you want to continue a post you can hit the edit button and add to the original post. Thanks
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 11:24 AM

Congratulations to you and Fred!
Nancy
Posted By: JustMe_

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 11:36 AM

good luck to you and your new friend smile

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 03:06 PM

Thank you, everyone! smile
Posted By: EchosMom

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/07/11 04:30 PM

Welcome to Mytoos. Charlie of BF's holds a very special place in my heart too, but I have not had the pleasure of meeting her yet.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 01:07 AM

Charlie is an absolute doll! Just wants to cuddle and snuggle. So, so, so sweet! I love watching her interact with King O.
Posted By: Winter's mom

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 03:09 AM

Congratulations on your new family addition! What a wonderful gift!
Cheryl
Posted By: jm47

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 05:05 AM

Congratulations to you and "Fred". Try playing Fredericka von Staade's recordings for her; who knows, maybe opera is her great talent! In any case, it's a good excuse for the name. laugh

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 12:12 PM

jm47, That's so funny. My one Amazon is a huge Opera fan and sings constantly! She gets so excited when I put "her" CD's on!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 12:12 PM

Thank you, Cheryl!
Posted By: MissYumYum

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 05:58 PM

Congrats to you and Fred!! Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful life together! I look forward to hearing more about you and your precious M2! Welcome to MyToos!

Annette

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 07:37 PM

Annette...our new member adopted Fred. wink
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 07:40 PM

wink Hee Hee Annette... your excitement is overflowing I think... Fred is the adoptee's name here...
Charlie, currently residing at Best Friends, will hopefully be going home soon too... whistle
Posted By: CrittersRus

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 08:44 PM

Welcome to mytoos. As an adoptive parent of 6 months to my 14 y/o rescue, Katie, this is a wonderful place. Lots of support, and a wealth of information. Best of luck to you and your new friend.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 10:31 PM

Sheesh! Good heavens! blush Thanks for catching my mistake, sigh... Between all the emails I have been sending for the Troy rescue birds and carting my mother around to various doctors these past few weeks, I'm a bit frazzled at the edges, LOL!

Welcome to sweet FRED!!

Annette

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/08/11 11:37 PM

Fred seems to be adjusting quite well. She's enjoyed some time outside and a shower. I think it's been quite a while for either of those. She's eating and very busy exploring her new cage and trying to ignore the Great Danes that are fascinated with her!
Posted By: Lucy's Mom

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/09/11 12:44 AM

Sounds like she is having fun!! So glad for you both!!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/10/11 05:44 PM

Yay! Got my first Fred "cuddle" today. smile She's doing well and has been coming out for me, but hasn't acted real sure until this morning. I was really curious yesterday morning what her reaction would be when I got home from work (it was the first time I'd left her) and she seemed relieved and happy to see me. Andie usually decides when I've slept enough and starts hollering Mom and Hello, so imagine my surprise when Fred "vocalized" for the first time! She's feeling more at ease and seems to be enjoying her outside time and showers (I have a mister above them) although I haven't put her in her "official" outdoor cage... I've just been rolling her sleep cage out. Didn't want her to have to get used to too much at once! LOL She'll get to be out today for most of the day as I'm off.

She's enjoying a banana nut muffin and fresh fruit this morning for breakfast. I love the way she lets me know what she doesn't want to eat... drops it in her water bowl with a total look of disdain! (She wasn't big on broccoli or beans - gonna have to mash 'em up for her!)

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/11/11 04:59 AM

What a wonderful update Julie! We'd love to see some pictures.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/11/11 04:46 PM

I would love to post pics, but am not sure how to do it on here.. Any help?

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/11/11 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: zorastro
I would love to post pics, but am not sure how to do it on here.. Any help?

We only allow links to pictures here, so the best way is to create a free account at a site like Photobucket and then link to the pictures you upload.

It's pretty intuitive once you get in there!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/11/11 11:29 PM

Let's see if this works... smile

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff371/zorastro/

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/11/11 11:50 PM

Fred is just adorable, my favorite picture is the one outside with her looking at the camera. She looks to be settling really well, I wish a long and happy life for you together.

Lisa

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 12:48 AM

Awww Fred is just precious! What a sweet expression! I hope you enjoy many, many happy years together!

Annette

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 05:10 AM

Thank you! I'm just amazed how quickly she's adjusting! smile

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 05:19 AM

She's beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing her with us.
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 06:37 AM

She's Beautiful!
Looks like she is Queen of all she surveys too! smile
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 12:00 PM

Looks like Fred has landed in a wonderful home. She looks so happy and I'm sure she is going to keep settling in and getting comfortable very quickly. She looks like a spoiled little pumpkin with you! Congratulations
Nancy
Posted By: lisarn3

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 02:30 PM

Oh, what a sweetie, She looks very happy!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/12/11 10:47 PM

She is definitely quite the spoiled little girl (as are all my kids!) She enjoyed peanut butter wheat toast for breakfast this morning, and I was half expecting her to ask for a glass of milk!
Posted By: Jacque

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/14/11 12:51 AM

I just wanted to mention that Julie was willing to take a leap of faith and adopt this girl sight unseen. I was contacted by the son of Fred's deceased owner and he begged me to take Fred. Unfortunately, but not unusual, we have more cockatoos than we can handle now. I asked Julie if she would be willing to adopt Fred, if we arranged for bloodwork (so she wasn't putting her other kids at jeapardy) and she said yes with no hesitation.

This is a very special lady. Fred is very lucky to be joining such a happy and functional flock.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/14/11 02:26 AM

Yeah for Julie and Fred, love doesn't care if you are fully feathered it just is.

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/15/11 02:20 PM

Jacque, thanks for the kind words. Really looking forward to this week off to do a lot of bonding with Fred... and of course dote on the rest of the group! Feathered and 4-legged! smile

I honestly felt so honored that you even considered me for Fred! You've helped me so much with my kids and it's all appreciated...
Posted By: Cleo's Mom

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/19/11 10:29 PM

Fred is so adorable. Love the one with the eyes half closed. Looks like ectasy at getting scritches.
Posted By: CrittersRus

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/19/11 10:58 PM

Wow, I just loved reading this thread. Its so grand to have a happy ending!
Terri

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/20/11 06:27 AM

Thank you, Terri! We're having a "Welcome Fred" shower tomorrow.. Can't wait!
Posted By: NuttyFeathers

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/22/11 02:57 PM

Congratulations on your new girl!

Re: Brought my first 'Too home today - 08/24/11 05:59 PM

Thank you so much!

Fred's Welcome shower went incredibly well with the entire flock getting lots of perches, toys, food, etc. smile She was incredible and stepped up for anyone that asked. Andie does it without being asked (she's a Diva) and assumes EVERYONE loves her... but I was so proud of my Fred for being such a happy girl!
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!