Mytoos

Sleeping Bella and other updates

Posted By: Nomokis

Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 04:18 AM

All right. So it is day four with Bella. She is really starting to open up and show her real colors, which is great. She was 'displaying' tonight for fifteen minutes or so, squawking and flapping like there was no tomorrow. It was rather adorable. She really seems to be a happy cockatoo, and healthy for that matter. I think she is learning to enjoy her new lifestyle. She's even picked up a few new words already. Today she said "Good Bella" and "How are you" for the first time!!! She's brilliant.

Her eating habits and starting to work themselves out too. She is starting to eat some fresh fruit (not much, but some) and even some oatmeal. I don't think she was ever fed fresh fruits and veggies previously. It's a big shock to her. She almost seems scared at first, but will warm up to the idea of eating after seeing me eat something similar.

I just have a few things to enquire about tonight. First off, do 'Toos ever talk in their sleep? I'm almost certain that she's sleeping right now, but occasionally I'll hear this cute little 'peep' from her sleep room. Is that normal? Also, do 'Toos ever sleep with their eyes open a little? She fell asleep today, but her little eyes were still partially open. I'm pretty certain she was sleeping, as she didn't move a muscle for about 15 minutes and had one arm tucked up like she does when sleeping. Odd.

Tonight we learned that poor Bella is frightened to death of thunderstorms! Poor little girl was just pacing back and forth and crying like a little chick. I tried to comfort her, but she was very irritable, so I decided to just let her have a little space until the storm calmed down. Luckily, the storm didn't last long. We'll know to be ready for the next big one. smile

Over all, she is doing amazing. She met my parents today and immediately took to my dad. He's a bird guy. I guess she could tell. wink They call her their 'only granddaughter' and have already started lavishing gifts on the little lady. I'll have to make sure they don't spoil her TOO much!

We're having a lot of fun learning together. She's a good baby. Thanks for helping me be as good of a 'Too mom as I can.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 04:51 PM

Today is my first day back to work. I've only been gone for three hours and I already miss her alot! I'm sure it's good for her to have the time alone, but I get nervous easily (as we already determined. Heh). Hopefully she'll do just great on her own today.
Posted By: TiKa's Dad

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 04:56 PM

You could setup a web cam and watch her over the internet to gain insight and ease of mind.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=169123&Searchpage=1&Main=18087&Words=network+cam&topic=0&Search=true#Post169123

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 05:02 PM

Wow! That's an interesting idea. I might have to go buy a webcam now. smile
Posted By: FeatheredAngels

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 06:41 PM

very new on the site, so these are just my opinions and take them for what they are worth hehe

Over the years I have had a few different parrots and found that some are mumblers in there sleep. However once in a deep sleep eyes are usually fully closed and not much mumbling or chirping is made. Since she is still so new in your home though she may not be sleeping as soundly as she will eventually.

As for thunderstorms, this can bother some birds forever depending on how it was handled while they were young. We try to sit and comfort our little angels whenever noise stresses them, or play some nice soft music. My hubby and I have gotten up in the middle of the night to sit with a nervous bird during terrible thunderstorms lol. Talking softly, singing quietly or playing some music.........whatever seems to help.

Deborah

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/25/08 09:41 PM

Hey guys. I got back from work about an hour ago. I don't think Bella did much of anything while I was gone. I put some treats in her cage and a few new toys, but they all went untouched. She only went to the bathroom on one side of her cage, so I don't even think she moved around much. That's so sad. I feel so bad for the little girl. Maybe she still catching up on rest and took today to sleep? I just hope she learns to play when we aren't here. Right now she is just being quiet and stand-offish. Is she upset with me because I left her?

She is sneezing a lot today. If she keeps sneezing this much, I might call the vet to ask him about it.
Posted By: MissYumYum

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: FeatheredAngels

My hubby and I have gotten up in the middle of the night to sit with a nervous bird during terrible thunderstorms lol. Talking softly, singing quietly or playing some music.........whatever seems to help.

Ditto here, Nokomis! I have gone into my birds' sleeping room in the middle of the night many times during bad storms to comfort them! My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm up anyway (I can't sleep through storms), so why not?

I also agree that Bella will sleep more soundly as she settles in more in your home. You're doing a great job!! I can tell how much you love her already - she's such a lucky girl to have found you!

Although I am a stay-at-home mom, I am away from the house for sometimes upwards of 6 - 7 hours at a time. I, too, have found many times when it's clear that Isabella has not budged from the same spot I left her in, even hours later. I think that like humans, our birds sometimes have a sleep deficit to make up and simply take advantage of the quiet time to catch up! Wouldn't we all like to do that sometimes? As you go through the days, weeks and months ahead, try to be aware of the ebb and flow of Bella's activity. I think you'll find a pattern, and many times, a logical explanation for what now seems to be odd grin!

It's possible she is a little miffed at you for leaving her while at work. They punish us sometimes, these feathered darlings smile. It's all in the routine, and Bella will get used to the routines of your household. Just give her some time to adjust. I think the webcam is a terrific idea! Tika'sDad and several other members use these to give them peace of mind while away at work or elsewhere. If I ever have to go back to work in a conventional office situation, I will certainly get one of those set up at my house.

Be patient and continue being vigilant! You've got all the time in the world!

If the sneezing is excessive, and continues into the day tomorrow, I would give the vet a quick call about it. However, you were just in for a well visit, so chances are, it's nothing. But, for that peace of mind... a phone call to the vet is priceless!

Take care,

Annette

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 04:47 AM

The sneezing has significantly reduced. I think she might have just gotten into something that wasn't good for her little nose. She seemed pretty healthy later on, and I'm sure the avian vet would've picked up on something like a sinus infection if she had one.

After I fed her, she went back to her normal, perky, loud self, which was good. She'll probably be mad at me tomorrow for leaving her again, but she seems very forgiving. smile As long as she gets plenty of food and a good scratch behind the head, she warms right up.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them!

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 05:14 AM

Quote:
She'll probably be mad at me tomorrow for leaving her again, but she seems very forgiving.

I spend 1 on 1 time with my birds in the mornings and evenings like most people. I spend more of that time in the mornings. My birds are calmer in the mornings and more receptive to learning and interacting. I get up earlier than I have to in order to get this time. In the evenings they are nippier and more wound up. Getting up earlier allows me to put them to bed earlier. My birds like 12 hours of sleep. Almost to the minute. Their internal clocks are amazingly accurate.

Spending that time in the morning gives my birds the mental stimulation they need and reduces the separation anxiety of leaving. This also allows you time to make leaving a fun, rewarding thing. Not a quick get this done and I'm out of here thing.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 12:55 PM

I plan to spend at least an hour and a half with her each morning before work, but I agree that more time would help a lot. I might talk with my boss today about coming in slightly later. He is really understanding.

I could get up earlier and go to sleep earlier, but my husband is a college student and has a lot of homework in the evenings. I like to spend an hour with him before going to sleep since that's our only time we really ever see each other. Our schedules are quite the opposite.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 04:14 PM

Oh. He's just a human. You can teach them to jump through hoops. Wear your training outfit. (heels, sexy nighty) He'll do any trick, anytime.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 05:03 PM

Hehehee. Perfect idea. smile

So how long have you had Tika and Amanda? I assume they were both from rescues?

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 05:23 PM

Tika was a rescue from a private home. 14 years old now. Dec. 2004. Amanda is a re home 18 months later. 20 years old now. We are her 6th (last)owner.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 05:45 PM

6th home. Wow. She must have been really ready for a steady home to stay in. Are she and Tika pretty close now? Your pictures look as if they are.

I just got to talk to Bella on speaker phone. My husband called me to let me talk to her. That was reassuring. She sounded very happy. smile We just bought 'Bird Sitter', the DVD, and might experiment with that sometime soon.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/26/08 05:54 PM

They are friends. Only friends. Except during hormones. Then they love each other for a few weeks and back to friends. Amanda bosses Tika around. They each have separate aviaries with 1 shared wall. Never left together un supervised. Ever.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/27/08 04:07 AM

I would love to post some of my new Bella pictures, but I have no idea where to start. Is there a site that lets you upload pictures for free? Thank you in advanced!

Bella was crazy tonight! I could really tell how much fun she was having. I can see that she is starting to feel like she fits in a little more. That makes me so happy! She's even been swinging on her swing and playing games in the cage on her own. Yay! At least I know she's not just sitting quietly the whole time I'm at work.

Today I fed her broccoli for the first time and she loved it! She ate it right up. That's one thing we'll be getting more of. wink

I've read a good bit on the site about cockatoos being 'one person birds', but is it possible that a cockatoo might like two people equally? So far, Bella seems equally pleased with my husband AND me. She switches back and forth on who she wants attention from at any given moment, but is with each of us pretty equally. Should we expect that to change, or is it possible that she just chose both of us???

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/27/08 04:43 AM

Stupid simple picture/video upload to web album

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post170487

Your behavior will be a big factor in whether the bird chooses a "mate". Be proper "flock" mates and try to teach the bird to play a "following" flock member role. By showing leadership the bird will follow that lead in how to act in the flock. Keep things as equal as possible.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/27/08 06:02 AM

Flock leadership.

Quote:
The fundamental truth is that, as prey animals who derive their physical safety from living in flocks, parrots are instinctively “programmed” to learn their survival skills during their early years before they begin to breed and are fully independent. Whether they are in the wild or in our living rooms, they are learning…every minute…and this learning takes place as patterning. A young parrot is instinctively programmed to look to a “flock” leader of some sort to teach him what he needs to know. If he lives with a loving human who is unaware of this responsibility and works instead to please him and discover what he “likes” so that he will be “happy,” it sets the stage or a myriad of misunderstandings and ultimate behavior problems.

You should strive to be the "flock leader". This much-discussed concept is never really achieved through any type of dominance or control. It is achieved through the process of the owner assuming a leadership role, teaching the parrots about new things by introducing them in an appropriate manner, which in turn, leads the parrot into depending upon the owner to show him what he needs to know and reassure him through the sometimes “scary” process of learning. Thus, a relationship akin to child and parent is established, which helps to prevent the frequently developed mate-bond type of relationship between owner and parrot which can be so problematic once the parrot reaches maturity. In fact, this is really the true manner in which owners establish themselves as “flock leaders” with their parrots.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 04:45 AM

Very good information. I've shared it with my husband and we plan to make it a responsibility we both take part in. We both love her so much, so I'd hate to see her turn her back to one or the other. I know she'll probably have a tendency to choose one of us over the other, but hopefully we can eliminate the 'she's MY mate, get away!' tendency.

She took her first shower this morning and seemed to really enjoy it. After we got out, she just wanted to talk and sign and flap her little wet wings. It was adorable. I'm amazed at how easygoing she is. I think I really lucked out. Of course, I realize that she's still in her honeymoon period, but I think she's doing well even for that. smile

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 03:15 PM

Does anyone have a rough estimation of what a healthy weight is for a one-year-old female Umbrella 'Too? We just bought a scale and I want to make sure I start off with some knowledge. smile

Also, what percentage of food do young cockatoos usually drop? Sometimes I wonder if she is getting enough food into her belly because she drops/throws so much. I have no problem cleaning up any lost food, but I want to make sure she’s eating enough.

Thanks!

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 03:27 PM

Amanda (female) is 525 ish grams. Tika (male) is 900ish grams. Females usually weigh less than males.

The exact weight of your bird is hard to tell. You need to weigh over a period of time to figure her average weight. Weighing regularly will show you fluctuations either up or down.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 03:48 PM

Wow! This morning Bella weighed 525 grams exactly. That's a funny confidence. smile

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 04:57 PM

My Isabella is a rather petite 10-year-old U2 hen, and she weighs about 500 grams most days.

Annette

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 06:21 PM

Tika was only 600 grams when we got him. He was weak and malnourished. The vet always comments on how strong he is now. Exercise is just as important as diet.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/28/08 06:48 PM

Wow. 300 grams is a big difference! That's great.

So, what's the best way to encourage your 'Too to exercise? Bella has clipped wings right now and I don't have access to an aviary (though I plan to build one in the future). What would you suggest?
Posted By: Bird Mom

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 12:00 AM

When the birds are on their playstand they are rarely still. Our sun conure, Frootloop flies. They enjoy ladders,but the ladders usually end up getting chewed up. I need to get something other than wood! We also let Brewster run across the furniture. He actually "hops" more than running. Even though his wings are clipped he still glides from the playstand to the dining room table. He likes going up & down the stairs. Supervise carefully as they can get into anything & everything.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 02:36 PM

Bella likes to 'hop' too. If I put her on the couch next to me, she makes a funny game where she climbs up on my leg, turns around, 'hops' off my leg onto the couch and runs to the other end. Then repeat. smile It's adorable.

Here's a slightly silly question... Can a cockatoo ever eat too much cuttlebone? Bella LOVES them. I just want to make sure she doesn't get too much of anything.

Thanks again!

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 03:25 PM

A healthy well fed parrot will regulate his own body weight. They will only eat if they want/need it. Too much food. No such thing.
Supplementation like vitamins are what you can give too much of. A healthy diet does not require supplementation.
Posted By: EchosMom

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 04:04 PM

When my M2 hen became eggbound last year w/2 eggs, my AV didn't even want to think about giving her a calcium supplement until her labs came back to see if there was a deficit (which there wasn't). John's right, a healthy diet does not require supplementation.

A friend of mine's cockatoo was tentatively diagnosed with Aspergillosis earlier this year. Come to find out they believe that the cause of his problems was over supplementation because she fed him a variety of different brands of pellets and the final diagnosis was that he was over-supplemented. Once she reduced the pellets to 1 brand his health issues rectified themselves.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 04:09 PM

So should I cut back the use of her cuttlebone? That's sad, because it was one of her favorite 'snacks'.

She also loves broccoli, snap peas, and dried fruit like apples. She’s scared of oranges, but I know she’s not supposed to eat too much of them anyway.

Do your ‘Toos like cooked or raw veggies better? Bella only eats raw broccoli. Kind of funny.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 04:18 PM

Cuttle bone is food. No need to take it away. Every bird eats different. The trick is find out what YOUR bird will eat.

Supplementation means adding vitamins and such to food in chemical form.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 08/29/08 04:26 PM

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding. After EM said calcium supplement, I thought you were saying that the cuttle bone was a supplement. Now I feel much better. smile And Bella will be happy too.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 02:29 PM

We’ve had Bella for going on two weeks and everything is well. She is starting to like more food and is opening up to us more and more each day. She loves to flap her wings and ‘display’ every night at 6:30-7:00. It’s adorable. It makes me happy to know that she is enjoying her new (and last) home.

She has picked up a funny habit that I’d like to ask you all about. I’m the one that feeds her. Whether that’s baby food, veggies and fruit or parrot pellets, I always do the feeding. But for some reason, every night she’ll ‘cry’ to my husband like a baby bird begging it’s mother for food, even if I just fed her. Is there an explanation for why she does the baby cry to him rather than me since I am the only one that ever feeds her?

Other than that, she still seems to enjoy us both equally. She wants me in the morning, him in the afternoon, and likes us both around in the evening.
Posted By: Ketrel

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 03:46 PM

She may not have been weaned properly. Do a search on abundance weening.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 04:36 PM

I think that's probably a large part of it. I talked to the family that had her for two weeks before me and they said she cried like that a lot, but they didn't know what she was crying about. She is almost a year old, so she should soon reach the point that she doesn’t want baby food much anymore, but she sure enjoys it whenever I offer. What would you suggest? Should I feed her baby food on a regular cycle and see if that helps?

And perhaps she was handfed by a male early on in life? That might be why she cries to my husband and not me. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 05:05 PM

I don't know what to tell you maybe others do. If she wasn't weened properly it doesn't matter how old she is. If I were in your position Id probably resume nightly feedings hell even morning feedings if she would take them. I wish I had the article on abundance weening Jan is always posting frown

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 05:48 PM

Abundance Weaning Had the link bookmarked wink. Just my opinion, but as long as they want to be the baby, I am happy to oblige.

Deborah

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 05:58 PM

Here is another article on Abundance weaning.
http://www.companionparrot.com/Abundance%20Weaning.htm

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 06:09 PM

I love Sally Blanchard writings. I really like that one a great deal, Thank you John! grin. Wasn't sure if it was acceptable to link things from the Companion Parrot Quarterly.

Deborah

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/02/08 06:42 PM

Good articles. I'll start offering the baby food more and try to handfed her some other wet foods too. How awful it must be to not get enough food. I wonder why pet stores try to wean baby birds as young as they do. It seems cruel. If I remember correctly, Bella's (at that point known as Toby) first owner purchased her at 4 1/2 months. Way too young. They did handfeed her some, but I doubt enough.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/03/08 05:18 AM

they do it so they can crank them out sooner and start w/ new ones...

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/03/08 03:27 PM

Poor babies. I think we should make Mytoos.com business cards and have people hand them out to pet stores. smile I doubt many people would pay attention, but if we changed the mind of just ONE pet store manager, we could make such a difference.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/03/08 03:40 PM

Business Card No #1---> http://www.mywvhome.com/cards/cards8.jpg
Business Card No #2---> http://www.mywvhome.com/cards/cardsheet2.jpg

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/03/08 03:57 PM

I should've known! I'm going to print some off now. I have a friend that works at a pet store. I'll make him deliver some of these to his boss

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/04/08 06:19 PM

I think Bella is mad at me today. This morning (after feeding and playing together) I decided that Bella needed another shower. The first time we gave her a shower she was fine and dandy. In fact, she seemed to like it. Well today was different. I put her on her shower perch and turned the mister on and she tried to dart out of the shower at me. I tried to calm her and thought that she might warm up after a minute. Sadly, she didn’t. She began to look scared, so I turned the water off and took her out to dry off. I set her down for a minute on top of her cage, but when I went to let her step up again, she simply inched away from my hand and turned to face the wall. I feel so bad! I just thought that she would warm up because last time she really liked her shower (or at least seemed to). When my husband came out, she practically begged for him to let her step up. I sure hope I didn’t scar her.

Tonight when I go home from work, is there something special you would suggest I do to ask her forgiveness? Next time I’ll know better…

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/04/08 06:33 PM

I always take the birds into the bathroom when I shower. I never force them to take a shower. I have a thick rope hanging in the bathroom that stretches right across the bathroom. Some of it hangs above the shower. Some does not. They have the option of coming over and getting splashed or they can stay on the other end of the rope.

Tonight, that will all be forgotten.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/04/08 06:42 PM

That's a great idea. I always bring her in the bathroom when I shower too, but never thought to hang a rope where she could climb over. Thanks for more wonderful advise.

And you're sure she wont hold it against me? I felt awful. I really didn't think it'd scare her like it did. Last time was so peaceful. I wonder what changed between then and now. Maybe she just wasn't in the mood.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/04/08 07:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe she just wasn't in the mood.

You did not force the issue so not much harm done.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/04/08 08:18 PM

Hi Nomokis.

I agree totally with John. You immediately removed Bella when you could tell she was unhappy. She won't hold it against you tonight.

Tomorrow morning, take her in the bathroom again and just let her be in there with you while the shower is running. Place her stand near the shower, but not in the shower, where she can see you. She just may indicate a desire to be in there with you - my Isabella will lean her body towards the shower with wings held out from her body if she wants in. I, too, do not force her if she has no interest. Usually, though, she enjoys being in the shower.

Good luck!

Annette

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 04:37 AM

So I got my first bite. Heh! It wasn't too bad, but I should've been more cautious. When Bella gets tired, she likes to cuddle up on my chest for a minute before being taken to bed. She was resting and I coughed. It scared her and she automatically snapped her head up and bit my nose. It bled lightly, but not bad. And I sure know it wasn't her fault. She was startled.

Do you think it's a bad idea to let her cuddle on me for a minute before going into the cage for the night? I didn't see any harm before the nip incident.

Also, how do you guys travel with your 'Toos? Is there a really good travel cage you'd suggest? I can't find any I really like.

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 04:51 AM

The time right before bed is a special time. Use that positive time to make going to bed positive as well.

I look for the largest cage/carrier that will fit in the car. In my case 2 need to fit.
Posted By: Razzle'sMommy

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 05:13 AM

John those cards are great!
I think cuddle time before bed is very important. In my case it is. I always cuddle my foster Brooklyn prior to putting her in sleep cage each night. The other night when my dog had her puppies and I didnt get to cuddle with either Razzle or Brooklyn, they sensed something not right and Brooklyn was not her cheery "hi baby" coming out of sleep cage, in fact we cuddle when taken out of sleep cage with coffee and waching news..she ust wanted on cage. I think it is a great thing, my daughter and I still do this and talk about the day after I put the birds to sleep and I think this also improves our relationship. I say dont stop, just watch the sneezes, sudden movement and coughing =)
In fact while working with Brooklyn I will cough or do something loud on purpose, her crest would go up but now a few weeks later less loud noises have bothered her.
Lori B

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 05:25 AM

I agree we always have cuddle time prior to bed around here. The birds seem to love it and it is just part of our routine now, they expect it and know bedtime is coming.

Deborah

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 02:42 PM

Thank you all for your advice! I was really dreading the idea of not getting that evening cuddle. It’s pretty much my favorite part of the day now! smile And I can tell she really likes it too. So, yeah, I’ll just be more careful with loud noises.

Is there a certain type of travel cage you have found works best? All of the ones I’ve seen are too small (or at least I feel they are). I want my girl to be comfortable!

Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates - 09/08/08 03:18 PM

I use dog carrier type crates and customize it with perches and toys. There are a million kinds of travel cages. Some birds like closed in type. Others more open. You know your bird and what fits in the vehicle. I always try to find the biggest carrier that I can still jam in the car. A tight fit helps keep it from moving around.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!