Mytoos

info on Cockatoos?

Posted By: Misfit_Bird

info on Cockatoos? - 07/23/08 11:25 PM

id like all the info on Cockatoos that i can get. i might be buying one.
Posted By: Jacque

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:05 AM

In your post that got deleted, you said that you had a Conure, but that you are new to birds. How long have you had him? The reason I ask, is that it takes at least a year for a bird to settle into a home and be totally comfortable and trusting. Bringing a new bird of any type, let alone one as demanding as a cockatoo, could be incredible destructive to your relationship with Kiwi.

I am the last person in the world to tell someone they are not ready for a cockatoo. I went to the rescue looking for a small, quiet bird. I was seriously looking for a Pionus, as my daughter had one, and I had fallen in love with him. So quiet,so sweet, so docile (everything a cockatoo is NOT)

Topy, My G2, had been at the rescue for a couple of years. He hated everyone and took great delight in making people scream and run away. Everyone approached him with extreme caution, which he found vastly entertaining. However, someone forgot to tell me that he was dangerous. And when he got off the tree and came over to snuggle with me, I lost my heart and gained a bird.

It took me 6 months of daily visits before the rescue (or I) thought I was ready to try things at home. I am so thankful I took the time to do this. It made topy's transition to my home so much smoother. We were already a flock. Is there a possiblity that you could volunteer at a rescue and get to know the right bird? I am a firm believer in "thunderbolt" bonding. Topy and I knew we belonged together. How tragic it would be to bring a bird into your home that wouldn't bond with you. And that can seriously happen. My husband has a rescued Congo African Grey that thinks I am out to murder him. Even though I am the giver of all good foods....he thinks I am evil. Over time this may change, but in the meantime,it can be very frustrating.

Please, please take the time to read over the archives of this site. People here have a wealth of information. They take their stewardship of these magnificent birds very, very seriously. No one pulls any punches. You will find information on the good, the bad, and the tragic.

Good luck, and keep coming back.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:15 AM

i got Kiwi 3 days ago but if i get another bird he will be my brothers bird. he would be going into my brothers room and the new Cockatoo would be moved into my room. there aren't any shelters i know with birds around here.
Posted By: sandiego

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:22 AM

PLEASE take time to read our agenda. We do NOT support the buying and selling of cockatoos under ANY circumstances.

Cockatoos are EXTREMELY LOUD. Their vet visits cost $100+ at LEAST, they live for 50+ years, they will destroy everything you have. They will probably hate most people you bring over. They are like 2 year olds FOREVER. I'm 22 and it's like having a baby. I plan around Kahlua, everything is about HIM. I can't go out with friends unless I make sure someone puts Kahlua to bed or he's already in bed. I can't spend the night anywhere unelss I am home in the morning by 7am. Toys, cages, and vet care are a TON of money!

Check out a rescue though. Someone will post the website! There are a lot of birds in needs of a home!!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:31 AM

sandiego-"PLEASE take time to read our agenda. We do NOT support the buying and selling of cockatoos under ANY circumstances."

i dont get what you mean when you said this? im just asking for info on a Cockatoo because i might be getting one.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:33 AM

Yes, I read your post. Read our agenda on buying and selling cockatoos. We are an anti-breeding, buying, and selling forum.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:36 AM

ok.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:39 AM

I'm not sure even how to respond to you. There is an incredible amount of difference between a conure and a cockatoo. I would really suggest that you wait and build a relationship with the bird you have before you graduate to what can be a very dangerous animal.

All birds bite. But the severity of a cockatoo bite is disasterous. Other than a macaw, I don't think any bird in the world has the more potential to serious wound you. I would suggest you look at some of Tiki's Dad's posts. He has pictures of a bite that his bird gave him. And he is one of the most experienced and committed owners on this site. He knows his birds and he knows their body language, and he still got a bite above his eyes that could have been disfiguring.

I have been around birds for years. I work at a Vet who does Raptor Rehabilitation. That means that I spend a lot of time handling sick and injured eagles, hawks and owls. I treat them with a great deal of respect, because they are dangerous birds. But they are no where near as dangerous as a hormonal cockatoo in a snit.

How would you feel if all of a sudden your bird started pulling out his feathers? All his feathers? Because with a cockatoo, feathers are often optional. This site will even tell you that it's not IF your bird will pluck, but WHEN. My own little Topy who has a palace of a cage, an exellent diet (I cook more for him than my husband) and all the attention in the world, pulls out his feathers when he's stressed. In fact, the day after tomorrow I am driving 200 miles to take him to an avian vet, to make sure, once again, that there is nothing medical behind his condition. A good avian vet is expensive. I work for a wonderful vet, but Topy's vet is in the nearest large city. It is crucial that you have a vet who specializes in birds, and that costs a lot of money.

That is another thing. Cost and time. A cockatoo NEEDS one on one contact. They are not a good choice of bird for someone who is gone all day. It is very difficult to have a social life when you have a too. If you work or go to school during the day, you better plan on spending the afternoon and evening with your bird. Every day. They are creatures of habit and want things to be done at the same time, in the same way, every day.

And finally, the cost of toys and food. Cockatoos need fresh food. That means constantly cooking, chopping and purchasing expensive vegetables every day. And they have to have toys. Expensive toys. A constant, never-ending supply of toys that are switched out frequently. Unless you are very creative, toys will easily run you $60+ a month. I made the mistake of figuring out what my little bundle costs me a month....and it runs about $120, easily.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I want you to go into this with your eyes open. Cockatoos are wild animals. No matter how loving they can be, they can turn and bite in an instant. They can destroy your home. They are escape artists who will actually dismantle a cage in order to get out and eat your house. There are pictures on this site of a too who got out and actually ate the walls of his room. And they are incredibly needy animals. In the wild, they are a flock bird. They are never alone. And they don't want to be alone in your home either.

Stick around, read as much as you can, and pay attention to what others say. We are not lying or exaggerating. I wish we were. I personally would do anything I could to stop the breeding of these guys. It is a crime against nature to breed them as pets.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:43 AM

Great post Jacque smile

Misfit, we want you to stay and read up as much as you can before deciding instead of doing an impulse buy because you saw a "good deal". These are animals, not toys. They don't have a price tag! We've had a lot of members JUST like you, some decided a cockatoo is DEFINITELY not for them after reading up, and some decided to go to a rescue and look around and now have a wonderful family member. This is the place to be, though, for cockatoos!!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacque
I'm not sure even how to respond to you. There is an incredible amount of difference between a conure and a cockatoo. I would really suggest that you wait and build a relationship with the bird you have before you graduate to what can be a very dangerous animal.

All birds bite. But the severity of a cockatoo bite is disasterous. Other than a macaw, I don't think any bird in the world has the more potential to serious wound you. I would suggest you look at some of Tiki's Dad's posts. He has pictures of a bite that his bird gave him. And he is one of the most experienced and committed owners on this site. He knows his birds and he knows their body language, and he still got a bite above his eyes that could have been disfiguring.

I have been around birds for years. I work at a Vet who does Raptor Rehabilitation. That means that I spend a lot of time handling sick and injured eagles, hawks and owls. I treat them with a great deal of respect, because they are dangerous birds. But they are no where near as dangerous as a hormonal cockatoo in a snit.

How would you feel if all of a sudden your bird started pulling out his feathers? All his feathers? Because with a cockatoo, feathers are often optional. This site will even tell you that it's not IF your bird will pluck, but WHEN. My own little Topy who has a palace of a cage, an exellent diet (I cook more for him than my husband) and all the attention in the world, pulls out his feathers when he's stressed. In fact, the day after tomorrow I am driving 200 miles to take him to an avian vet, to make sure, once again, that there is nothing medical behind his condition. A good avian vet is expensive. I work for a wonderful vet, but Topy's vet is in the nearest large city. It is crucial that you have a vet who specializes in birds, and that costs a lot of money.

That is another thing. Cost and time. A cockatoo NEEDS one on one contact. They are not a good choice of bird for someone who is gone all day. It is very difficult to have a social life when you have a too. If you work or go to school during the day, you better plan on spending the afternoon and evening with your bird. Every day. They are creatures of habit and want things to be done at the same time, in the same way, every day.

And finally, the cost of toys and food. Cockatoos need fresh food. That means constantly cooking, chopping and purchasing expensive vegetables every day. And they have to have toys. Expensive toys. A constant, never-ending supply of toys that are switched out frequently. Unless you are very creative, toys will easily run you $60+ a month. I made the mistake of figuring out what my little bundle costs me a month....and it runs about $120, easily.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I want you to go into this with your eyes open. Cockatoos are wild animals. No matter how loving they can be, they can turn and bite in an instant. They can destroy your home. They are escape artists who will actually dismantle a cage in order to get out and eat your house. There are pictures on this site of a too who got out and actually ate the walls of his room. And they are incredibly needy animals. In the wild, they are a flock bird. They are never alone. And they don't want to be alone in your home either.

Stick around, read as much as you can, and pay attention to what others say. We are not lying or exaggerating. I wish we were. I personally would do anything I could to stop the breeding of these guys. It is a crime against nature to breed them as pets.

Kiwi would be going to my brother since he wants a bird too. i am home all day everyday. when schools in im home at 2. i know how much of a responsibility it is to care for a bird and im ready for it. i think i could handle it despite how hard everyone says it is.
Posted By: EchosMom

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:51 AM

Misfit, may I ask how old you and your brother are?

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: sandiego
Great post Jacque smile

Misfit, we want you to stay and read up as much as you can before deciding instead of doing an impulse buy because you saw a "good deal". These are animals, not toys. They don't have a price tag! We've had a lot of members JUST like you, some decided a cockatoo is DEFINITELY not for them after reading up, and some decided to go to a rescue and look around and now have a wonderful family member. This is the place to be, though, for cockatoos!!

ive already read up as much as possible on Cockatoos. i read all threw the mytoos.com site and everything. im not jumping into buying a Cockatoo, im doing my research but i wanted additional info so i signed up and asked you guys for help.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:52 AM

I am guessing you are pretty young. When you go off to college or work, what will happen to the bird? Just because you are home now, what about in 5, 10, or 20 years?? You need to go visit a rescue, as we've said, to get a first hand look at what a cockatoo is.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Misfit, may I ask how old you and your brother are?

im 15 and my brothers 11.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:56 AM

I am guessing you are pretty young. When you go off to college or work, what will happen to the bird? Just because you are home now, what about in 5, 10, or 20 years?? You need to go visit a rescue, as we've said, to get a first hand look at what a cockatoo is.

im not that young. and ive been around Cockatoos in real life. im just asking for info on Cockatoos not to be bombarded about if im too young or anything. ive taken alot onto consideration and i know i can handle it guys!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 12:57 AM

It's not that we say it is. It actually truely is that hard. Please, please consider a different type of bird while you are young. I'm sure you will want to date eventually.....and dating and cockatoos are not compatible. I would think you probably like to watch tv or movies....well get used to watching them alone, with your bird. If you don't have him on your lap while you watch tv....he will scream, so loud, that you won't hear a word of the show. If you have him with you, and someone else comes in the room to watch with you, he might very well attack to drive them away. Seriously. Long conversations on the phone will be a thing of the past. Toos are very jealous and know when your attention is on something else. They will either scream the entire time you are on the phone, or wait until your back is turned, and dismantle your phone. The Alltel dealer loves to see me coming. He knows I'm there to buy another darn cell phone because Topy just ate the last one.

No matter what we say, you are going to do whatever you want. Just bear this in mind. This is a lifetime committment. You can do incredible damage to a bird that you get and cuddle and love, for awhile. But then you get busy, with dating, and college, and a career and don't have the 4-6 hours a day MINIMUM that your bird requires. That's when the real problem behaviors will start. Go to the first page of the website and listen to the screaming. That is NOT an exaggeration. That will happen every day, at least twice a day. But if your bird starts feeling neglected, you will be hearing that non-stop.

Please, stick around, read, pay attention. And maybe you will see that we are not exaggerating the problems, by any stretch of the imagination.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacque
It's not that we say it is. It actually truely is that hard. Please, please consider a different type of bird while you are young. I'm sure you will want to date eventually.....and dating and cockatoos are not compatible. I would think you probably like to watch tv or movies....well get used to watching them alone, with your bird. If you don't have him on your lap while you watch tv....he will scream, so loud, that you won't hear a word of the show. If you have him with you, and someone else comes in the room to watch with you, he might very well attack to drive them away. Seriously. Long conversations on the phone will be a thing of the past. Toos are very jealous and know when your attention is on something else. They will either scream the entire time you are on the phone, or wait until your back is turned, and dismantle your phone. The Alltel dealer loves to see me coming. He knows I'm there to buy another darn cell phone because Topy just ate the last one.

No matter what we say, you are going to do whatever you want. Just bear this in mind. This is a lifetime committment. You can do incredible damage to a bird that you get and cuddle and love, for awhile. But then you get busy, with dating, and college, and a career and don't have the 4-6 hours a day MINIMUM that your bird requires. That's when the real problem behaviors will start. Go to the first page of the website and listen to the screaming. That is NOT an exaggeration. That will happen every day, at least twice a day. But if your bird starts feeling neglected, you will be hearing that non-stop.

Please, stick around, read, pay attention. And maybe you will see that we are not exaggerating the problems, by any stretch of the imagination.

i know you guys arent exaggerating. i know what your telling me is true but i dont want you guys to think just because im young i cant handle it. i have parents too who are home when im not that can give the bird attention.
Posted By: TiKa's Dad

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:14 AM

Can I ask you a brutally honest question? Do you have any friends your age that got pregnant and had a baby at 15 years old??? What is their life like??

You are about to adopt a child that is never going to grow up. Ever.

Please don't rush into this decision. Stay with the smaller birds until you are more independent and have more control over your own life.

You sound like a person that would make a dedicated parrot owner. In time.. What is your rush??? Your only 15.
Posted By: ChickenBaby

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:16 AM

Oh my gosh, Please read, read , read and then read some more. I have a son who is almost your age and he is pretty darn terrified of our cockatoo. I don't think a cockatoo is the right bird for anyone, but especially not someone as young as yourself.
You will get bitten and what will your parents think of that. If you get bitten enough they may even make you get rid of your bird, then what will happen to him?
At 15 you are not capable of providing all the needs of a cockatoo. Your parents will need to help financially and physically, it is important that they do their research also and that they become as informed as you are.
Please do a search on cockatoo rescues and research them more.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:20 AM

I have another question for you? Do you feel (HONESTLY) that you are ready and able to be a responsible parent? Can you (not your parents) provide for a child's emotional, physical and financial needs?

ETA: I was posting as the same time as others so I apologize for the repetitive (but good) questions.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:21 AM

well it isnt going to change weather or not i buy a cockatoo or not. my dad is just as crazy for animals as i am and he supports me wanting a Cockatoo and he wants it too. i think i have the capability of taking care of this bird.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:25 AM

Why not ask your father to join the board too?

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:28 AM

Misfit - I am 22 and it is extremely difficult for me to take care of my bird. I am VERY social and have many friends and always want to be out. I'm in college, I want to go to parties. When friends come over, he is SCREAMING because he wants out, ok, I take him out, he attacks people because he doesn't know them, he chews up all my stuff, my $2500 computer, my phones, my ipods, remotes, EVERYTHING. Being an animal lover - you should know you shouldn't bring in a pet that you cannot handle right NOW. Maybe later in life, DEFINITELY!! You got rid of a family member already, your horse.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:31 AM

Also - if you have an emergency, how will you be able to drive to the vet??

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Why not ask your father to join the board too?

hes not guna join the site, he has other things to do.

Misfit - I am 22 and it is extremely difficult for me to take care of my bird. I am VERY social and have many friends and always want to be out. I'm in college, I want to go to parties. When friends come over, he is SCREAMING because he wants out, ok, I take him out, he attacks people because he doesn't know them, he chews up all my stuff, my $2500 computer, my phones, my ipods, remotes, EVERYTHING. Being an animal lover - you should know you shouldn't bring in a pet that you cannot handle right NOW. Maybe later in life, DEFINITELY!! You got rid of a family member already, your horse.

i didnt have a choice to get rid of my horse. if i did i would have never of givin her up.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:33 AM

So if your dad doesn't like the screaming (which he won't) will it be HIS choice to get rid of the cockatoo also?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JRnLPDcLGHs Watch that video - that is all cockatoos do. ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!!!! LOUD LOUD LOUD.
Posted By: nanuk

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:36 AM

I think that u r old enough to think u know what u want but reality is totally different!!!! My 17 yr. old daughter came to me one day and said she was old enough to have a baby and would not listen to anybody else, she now has a 12 month daughter that I am raising because reality set in and she wasn't ready for the lack of sleep and not being with friends. In case u later decide that u need a social life r your parents willing to clean every day, make safe toys, sacrifice their lives to take care of a 2. If not then who will???????? Since we never know how long we will be on this earth, make plans for someone else to take care of a 2 yr. old with ADHD,RAD AND A CAN OPENER, WOOD CHIPPER on their face. PLEASE TAKE TIME TO FIND A RESCUE IN YOUR AREA AND ADOPT, BUT DON'T BUY FROM A PET STORE OR BREEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 01:51 AM

i dont know what to tell you guys. all im saying is i might be getting him i might not. i dont know as of yet.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:08 AM

I was trying to be polite, and use logic to open your mind...but you do not seem willing to listen to what those of us who have experience are trying to say.

Your father won't join the board because he has better things to do? If he won't even take a step to educate himself about the care of these birds, how can you expect him to make a committment to caring for it correctly? You didn't have a choice to get rid of your horse? Well, what say are you going to have if your family isn't willing to deal with the expense, noise and trauma of cockatoo. Do you realize how damaging it is to a bird to be rehomed? In a bird's eyes, even a bad owner is it's flock, and when it is given away, it grieves for it's family.

And here I'm going to be brutally honest. Actually a little bit of a witch and said what I really thought when I read your post about the conure.....You've had the bird a scant few days and are ready to hand it off to your brother so that you can get a more exotic bird? Birds are not impulse buys...they are people with feathers. You wouldn't adopt a brown haired baby and then hand it over to someone else to raise so you could get a blond one. It is exactly the same thing.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:13 AM

Your arrogant outlook on life is going to get you into trouble. You don't have much compassion. Makes me sad. Please consider all the advise that was given to you. Some members have had Cockatoos for decades and have experienced every situation there is. The only thing you were told was the truth. From experience. You have no experience.
Posted By: rockinseattle

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:38 AM

Quote:
MISFIT_BIRD WROTE: i know how much of a responsibility it is to care for a bird and im ready for it.

IF ANY OF US KNEW what living with a cockatoo was like BEFORE we got one then A LOT OF US would have CHOSEN NOT TO.

Reading about them and living with them are TOTALLY different, more then you can imagine.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:40 AM

Oh, well said. Amen to that!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:46 AM

i still really want one despite what you all say. i believe everyone and i know its going to be a pain in the butt but i still would really like to have one.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:50 AM

I would love to have a lot of things, but can't until I am ready. And someday I will be. Why do you want one? Why?

Plus you seem to know everything and said you have read everything, so why even come here?

Stay here and post and talk with members, ACTUALLY READ the material here, and maybe you will find you are ready once you are KNOWLEDGEABLE on the subject, or maybe (and 99% of a chance) you will find you are not ready. Just give it some more time, Misfit.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:50 AM

Wait a while. Learn by practising and getting some experience with the bird you just got. That bird needs your love and attention right now very much. Your brother IS too young.

Like I said before. What's the rush.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 02:54 AM

Ok...I give up. One last thing. Not one of my pets was purchased. I went looking for none of them. They appeared in my life when I had the time, money and committment to care for them. I believe that when you are ready, the right animal will find you. Please committ to not purchasing a bird. You will perpetuate the bird trade, and these animals were not meant to be pets. If you are destined to be owned by a cockatoo, one will come into your life. In the meantime, show the same level of interest in the bird who is already in your life. Become the best possible bird parent. Educate yourself about diet, enviroment, behavior and enrichment. Make it a committment to make that little birds' life as close to perfect as possible. Then, and only then, will you actually be ready when the bird you are meant to have finds you. And believe me, if it is meant to be,he will.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:01 AM

OK sorry I'll put it back laugh

Misfit, every morning when you wake up, play that video I showed you. Also play it like 50 more times throughout the day. Take an hour from your day to chop up vegetables, freeze them, took rice and beans, make fruit kebabs. Now throw them at the wall AND clean it up. Also take an afternoon each week to make toys, don't forget buying a lot of toys. Now take said toys and saw them up, cut them in half, burn them, dismantle them right away. All your money is shot now. Also clean your bathroom daily, sometimes twice, even if there is only a kleenex on the floor. Re clean the whole bathroom. (aka cage)

Now throw your computer down the stairs because it will be eaten anyways. Also use a knife and cut out the buttons in everything electronic. Go give your family doctor $300 right now. Oh if you ever get into any minor accident, go give him $500. (aka vet)

If you can do all that, then you have my blessing to get a cockatoo.
Posted By: rockinseattle

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:06 AM

You seem like a very determined person SO I have a suggestion that is a WIN WIN for all.

VOLUNTEER at a RESCUE so you can get an idea of what the personalities are like for a variety of birds PLUS the rescue people can SHOW you things like how to handle the birds, ie. perching them, nail and wing maintenance, toweling a bird ETC. ETC..

It could be a valuable experience for you.

ALSO get your family involved suggest to them to volunteer at a rescue.

Who knows you guys might like it so much that you help a rescue out permanently in your spare time OR you might find out that these guys are really hard to take care of and move on to something else.

Just remember it's not just about you or your brother it's about the best life for a bird also. wink

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:07 AM

i have a question about Green Cheek Conures. can they learn a wide range of vocabulary? and will they let you pick them up and sit on your shoulder?

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:07 AM

OMG Samantha...I just spit water all over my computer monitor. That is absolutely hilarious and 100% right on! Where were you before I got Topy? Not that I would ever want to live my life without him now that I found him. But did I know what I was in for? Oh, heck no! Would I have volunteered if I had known? Well probably, I'm a sucker for a challenge. I just didn't know the challenge would take up more of my time than my JOB!

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:14 AM

Yes a Green Cheek conure can step up and be handled. Some talk, some don't. But that's true of any parrot. Even an African Grey, which are suppose to be the best talkers, may or may not talk. If you really want to get a bird that talks, you should probably adopt one that does already.

Time and patience are the things that are needed so that your bird will trust you enough to step up. Read the posts here, order some good books from Amazon on companion bird behavior. You have to meet his needs, and learn to think like a bird. You want to build a trusting relationship. You don't tame a bird, you make friends with it. You become an accepted member of its flock. Never make a bird do something it doesn't want to unless it is necessary for it's health or well-being. Which means, if he doesn't want to step up and come out of his cage, you calmly walk away. With time and attention, good food, plenty of toys, the most ornery bird will learn to interact with you.

A good start is to sit by the cage and read aloud, talk quietly, make slow, non-threatening motions, avoid direct eye contact. Learn to interact in a bird friendly manner.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:20 AM

sorry off topic quick - where in SD are you from Jaqcue? I grew up in Fairmont, MN on I-90.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:20 AM

well today he flew out of his cage into some drapes i have. i got up from bed and put my hand out to see what he would do and he stepped on my hand walked around my arm and wanted to go back in his cage so i put him back. and also when i put him back in his cage i grab him with the towel (to avoid getting bitten) and he usually screams but lately he doesn't he lets me pet him and let him back in his cage.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:24 AM

Pierre...right in the middle of the state. Not much around here but prairie! lol

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:26 AM

Misfit...I would avoid using the towel as much as possible. The whole point of having a companion bird is just that...a companion. If you are making him do things, he's going to start mistrusting you, which leads to bad behaviors, the most painful of which is biting. All birds bite, but you can minimize the risk by treating him with respect and making friends.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:33 AM

but when he has to go in his cage i pick him up with it. i dont like chasing him into the cage. once i pick him up hes fine he doesnt bite or anything he lets me pet him.
Posted By: MsSugarBabe

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:37 AM

I am at a loss frown

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:38 AM

Misfit. I know you said your dad would not join this group. But would he not be willing to read this one thread for your sake and his. I'm sure if you made a point of how important it was to you he would be interested in what was said.

Would you at least try that for us???

You know we are not trying to harass you in any way. We care very much what happens here. We know you love animals of all kinds. But parrots are not pets.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 03:45 AM

i first dont get how some of you say that Cockatoos shouldnt be bred and they should be left out in the wild yet you own one. and you dont support pet shops and breeders who sell/breed birds but if you adopted a bird they had to come from somewhere rite? anywho, im not going to show my dad this. most likely not going to get the Cockatoo but im not sure yet. im just going to ask some more questions about my Green Cheek Conure for now because i dont wana start an uproar again.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:03 AM

Yes, the birds we adopt have come from somewhere. It is a fact and a shame that someone bred or captured every bird we care for. The fact that they exist in captivity is a blot on humanity. But the ones we rescue are captive and do not have the skills to be released into the wild. What we are doing is trying to follow through on a committment that was made when they were bred, that some other human failed to keep.

Rescues and shelters are full of cockatoos. Many are at capacity and can take no more. Why? Because people meet a cockatoo who is feeling cuddly. They like the thought of a bird that craves human contact. Then they get them home and reality sets in. This is a dangerous animal. So the birds are sold,or given away, or worse yet, stuck in a closet or basement or attic. The human race has failed every single bird we own. I am spending my life trying to make it up to them.

When I pass away my little Topy will be going to live at a Cockatoo sanctuary in WA state. I had to make financial arrangements in my will. The cost to care for a bird at a sanctuary for it's lifetime is about $30,000. But he will be in a flock with other Goffins. I won't have to lose sleep thinking about him being handed around, from one home to another.

If I could make captive bird breeding illegal today, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Humane Societies are full of unwanted dogs and cats, and they only live a decade or so. Some of these birds can live 80 years. Did you know that many shelters put parrots and cockatoos down when they get them? They just don't have the resources or homes for them. It's just easier to put them to sleep.

And that my friend, is a reason in itself to be anti bird breeding.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:06 AM

i honestly dont see a problem with bird breeding. its just like dogs and cats breeding. but, the birds live longer, almost as long as humans.
Posted By: Lanie

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:09 AM

Samantha - That is the BEST description of being owned by a cockatoo I've ever read.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:10 AM

Did you not just read the entire paragraph that Jacque posted? THERE IS AN OVERPOPULATION OF ANIMALS!!!!! Do you know what the humane society is? Do you know what a rescue is?

People do not want these loud screaming birds. More breeding = more unwanted birds, more birds shoved into rescues. Not everybody that gets a baby bird can handle it, Misfit.

How do you not see a problem with bird breeding?

And I hope you did not just compare a dog to a cockatoo.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:11 AM

Go back and read the purpose statement. This forum does not believe in breeding or purchasing birds. Even if you buy a bird to "save" it from a bad situation, you are perpetuating bird breeding for money. And it's wrong.

And you are talking to a vet tech who has had to watch dogs euthanized because of over breeding. If every breeder in the country stopped tomorrow there still wouldn't be enough homes for the animals that already exist. Every pet dog and cat should be neutered or spayed. The younger the better.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:12 AM

We will help you with anything you need to know about your little green conure. Bless you for waiting on the cockatoo. When you start to do things are correct you will see a very different side of everybody here.
Posted By: KokomoG2

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:12 AM

Misfit, I would suggest joining bird-click on yahoo/groups. it is free to join and will show you step by step how to train your bird. Teach basics like step-up or tricks like retrieving a ball. I joined and its been great. It is helping me train my birs.

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:16 AM

ok first of all, its my opinion. i DO NOT see a problem with bird breeding weather or not birds are being euthenized. its happening to dogs and cats too. hundrededs pf thosuands dogs and cats get euthenized daily. yes i feel bad for the animals without homes who dont have a family but honestly unless the government banns people from breeding nothing will change, and even then there will still be alot of dogs and cats and birds without homes.
Posted By: Charlie

Re: info on Cockatoos? - 07/24/08 04:16 AM

Oh, you are beginning to wake up? Your 15 year old brain is beginning to bloom! You came on this site asking advice. You have been given the BEST advice, and special thanks to Jacques!

You came on here asking for advise then you said you had read the site. Give us SOME respect and start reading! You are typical of 15 year olds in this country, you just want. Don't post anymore tonight and I won't ban you. Maybe tomorrow you will have enough information to ask a legitimate question.

As far as I am concerned, you are underage and have no business being in a position to make such a decision.

If you want answers to your Green-cheek questions, post them in the "All Other Parrots and Birds" Forum.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!