Mytoos

Cruciferous Vegetables and Goiter

Posted By: CrocusBlooms

Cruciferous Vegetables and Goiter - 12/20/14 10:44 PM

Okay- so I've searched the forums and can't find anything on this( though I AM quite the newbie, so I may very likely be missing something...)

I am a nutritionist for people, and one of the things I often talk to folks about is not overdoing the raw cruciferous veggies. They contain goitrogens that bond with iodine in the body and can cause goiter and thyroid problems if consumed in too large a quantity or too often. Cooking neutralizes these anti-nutrients, which is why things like broccoli, kale, and cabbage are traditionally cooked before eating.
When I took my new rescued G2 to the AV for his checkup, she gave me a list of diet suggestions for birds. My AV stresses that calcium-rich foods are important, and has a list of the fruits and veggies that have lots of bio-available calcium in them and advises against veggies high in oxalates (obviously).

She also made it a point to advise against feeding raw Cruciferae (cabbage family veggies like broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts etc) and says "these vegetables should be fed in small ammounts or not at all".
I'm on board with this because that's what all my research and education has shown for humans. HOWEVER, I see ALOT of people here and all over the web advocating and sharing "CHOP" recipes for parrots, and many of them seem to have a significant amount of RAW cruciferous veggies in them. I'm trying to introduce a wide variety of new foods to my little Dude, and have been lightly cooking all the cabbages so far before offering them (to de-activate the anti-nutrients and protect what little iodine he has in his system due to an all-seed diet prior to his re-homing with me.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Any birdie-nutritionists out there who have any input?

thanks in advance!
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Cruciferous Vegetables and Goiter - 12/21/14 01:49 AM

I have to be honest this is the first time I have heard about cooking cabbages, broccoli and kale. I don't cook any of them. The only veggie I cook all the time is sweet potato. As a general rule I feed just about every thing raw to Cassie. I try to offer a variety, she's a very picky eater. There are some veggies that I only offer in moderation like spinach.
I would be interested in hearing about the benefits and reasoning for cooking cruciferae. I haven't had a vet tell me this either.
Posted By: CrocusBlooms

Re: Cruciferous Vegetables and Goiter - 12/21/14 10:13 PM

Thanks for the input, Nancy smile

I've contacted a friend who works at the San Diego Zoo and she said she would ask around and see if anyone there had input. I'll get back to you when I hear from her ( probably after Christmas)
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Cruciferous Vegetables and Goiter - 12/22/14 02:10 AM

There was an animal nutritionist that worked for Zoo New England a few years ago when I was working there. I didn't hear anything from her either about cooking these veggies.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!