Mytoos

seed

Posted By: Winter's mom

seed - 03/22/08 04:25 AM

What exactly is "quality seed"? Particular type or name?
Posted By: spinnyspoo

Re: seed - 03/22/08 04:47 AM

I think what everyone is talking about is human grade, organic/natural seed. Not a bag of Hagen's from Walmart.
Posted By: LeAnn

Re: seed - 03/22/08 04:57 AM

Goldenfeast is human grade and volkmans is too.
Posted By: Elliott

Re: seed - 03/22/08 11:48 AM

When I'm buying seed, I look for clean packaging, little or no debris in the bottom of the bags, no bugs or cobwebs in the bag. I buy only at places that have a high turnover of food sells. I check for dates on the bags. Most seed and nuts are harvested and packaged are about 6 months old by the time they get to the shelf.

I've had good luck with a brand called "Wing Nuts".
Posted By: RB2sMom

Re: seed - 03/23/08 10:43 PM

Our Avian vet feels that seeds should be a part of a parrot's diet , especially for the smaller parrots that eat seeds in the wild. She has raised her own tiels on seeds and some other birds on mixtures of seeds and pellets. Of course this is supplemented with fresh veggies and fruits. We have our RB2s on mixtures of seeds and pellets plus the above fruits and veggies.

We have found that ABBA seeds are the best because seeds are only a part of what is in the mixture; it contains dehydrated veggies and fruits and meat protein and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Our RB2s prefer this over anything, which is especially important for our little male as he is so hyperactive. Harry gets a larger portion of seeds than Hannah (our perch potato) who is a little obese (she gets less seeds and more pellets). Harry does not like pellets very well and chews awhile then tosses them. Our tiels get the cockatiel mixture.

This is what the ABBA seed mixture for small hookbills has in it:
ABBA 1200 IDEAL FOR ALL TYPES OF SMALL HOOKBILLS FROM LOVEBIRDS TO SMALL AMAZONS

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

CRUDE PROTEIN NOT LESS THAN 11%; CRUDE FAT NOT LESS THAN 5%; CRUDE FIBRE NOT MORE THAN 15%; MOISTURE (MAX) 14%; ASH (MAX) 5%

Ingredients: Safflower Seed, Millet Seed, Cracked Corn, Heat Processed Corn, Buckwheat, Wheat, Oat Groats, Grain Sorghum, Nonviable Hemp Seed, Shelled Peanuts, Ground Mollusk Shell, Kibbled Biscuit Made With Wheat Meal, Corn Meal, Soy Bean Meal, Bean Meal, Water Shredded Coconut, Brazil Nuts, Cashews, Walnuts, Whole Eggs, Bone Meal, Fresh Beef Meat, Fresh Poultry Meat, Fresh and Dehydrated: Carrots, Dandelions, Chicory, Kale, Grapes, Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Pears, Apricots, Fresh Fish, Milk, Honey, Corn Syrup Solid, Casein, Salt, Brewers Yeast, Yellow Beta Carotene, Cod Liver Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Dextrose, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyriodoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Propionate Added To Preserve Freshness, Artificial and Natural Color and Flavor.

ABBA 1200 is sold with 100% satisfaction guaranteed or you may return the unused portion for a refund of the unused portion NOTE: Best if used within 45 days of manufacture date. ***MADE IN THE USA***

Here is their website:
http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/seed_products.html

We freeze the seeds for several days to kill any eggs that might be in there from grain moths (they are awful if you have ever had them hatch and fly around in your house).
Posted By: Winter's mom

Re: seed - 03/24/08 04:53 AM

Human grade seeds? Humans eat seeds? I never knew that... at least not what I considered to be birdy seeds. why would people eat seeds... except like poppy seeds or sesame seeds or sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds... like that?
Posted By: spinnyspoo

Re: seed - 03/24/08 05:02 AM

This human does.

Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, squash seeds (roasted like pumpkin) millet, different grass seeds like oats, barley, rye, flax seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cilantro seeds, celery seed, dill seed, tree 'seeds' like almonds, walnuts...

Seeds, nuts and grains are very healthy foods.
Posted By: belle-ville

Re: seed - 03/24/08 04:48 PM

Winters mom, a lot of the seeds I eat are part of other foods if you eat whole grain foods, a lot of whole grain breads have lots of seeds in them.
Posted By: jenscritters

Re: seed - 03/25/08 12:24 AM

I get organic seeds at Whole Foods Market for me and my birds. I sprout most of them before I use them. I think the main thing to look for is if they will sprout or not. Try to sprout some of them and if they don't sprout, they're probably old. Also, the bad seeds will float and you can just pour them off the top. If it's quality seed, there won't be very many that float. I've even sprouted a parakeet seed/pellet mix. I don't recommend it. It gets really gross when the pellets break down.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!