Mytoos

Honeymoon over but looking forward to life togeth

Posted By: ladida

Honeymoon over but looking forward to life togeth - 02/05/08 08:33 PM

I am a little bit worried. My too was acting very strange last night. When I let him out to hold him for a while he immediately started to get puffy and was crying. He didn't stop for over 30 minutes. I put him back in his cage and he was fine. I let him out again and he started that behavior again, when I put him back he was fine again. When I first got him he would do that every once in a while and to me it looked like he was hungry (like a wee baby bird looking for food). I am taking him to a vet in the next week or so, but I was wondering if you have had experience with this.
Posted By: Janny

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 08:48 PM

How old is he? He could be looking for a comfort feeding.I will make up some oatmeal once and a while and spoon feed the birds and they turn all baby like right away.It is very benificial to you as a caregiver to get them used to eating from a spoon incase you ever have to medicate them.

I would also take him in to the Avian Vet for a check up.You just never know if he has a yeast infection or something making him not eat right and then he will feel hungry.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 09:09 PM

Thank you - he is 6 months old and he eats like a champ. I was really worried sick - I checked him thoroughly to make sure he wasn't injured or anything. He does act like a baby - my husband was even wondering if he is younger than we thought. I will try that tonight with the oatmeal. I will take him to the vet later this week or early next week. Thanks for your input.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 09:31 PM

Okay I just looked at your profile and saw you have a U2.At 6 months old they are babies.Most of the larger speies don't wean that young.My M2 Bailey was closer to 8 or 9 months old when he was just starting to refuse feedings and I kept him on night feedings until was ready himself to cut them out but I still made it and tried.He would refuse the odd one but most often he still wanted it.The handfeeding formula is something that a young bird needs as it has so many nutrients in it for them and helps the immune system.

If I were you I would make that appointment very soon and talk to your Avian Vet about weaning and handfeeding.I will also provide a very good article to read that will help to understand how important it is to them for the future.

weaning and fledging

How long has he been with you?

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 09:38 PM

Thanks very much - that's why I am here. I really want to make sure that I am doing the right thing with this guy. He has been with me for a little over 2 weeks now

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 09:44 PM

He has likely been force weaned by the breeder.What I would do is this....

Make your vet appointement right away.You need to be weighing him on a regular basis to determine wieght loss and gain during this process.I can not give you major advice on the handfeeding that will have to come from the vet.But until you can get in to see him/her...

Cook up some sweet potatoe and mash it.Then mix in all kinds of healthy veggies and a few pellets and put it in the blender and make it like a baby food texture.Try feeding him some of that a couple of times a day from a spoon until you get that vet appointment.If you stick all of this in the blender it will be a nice texture to feed.Don't make it too warm or he could get crop burn but they won't eat it if it is too cool either.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
Posted By: Elliott

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 10:06 PM

He needs to be really fed until his first hatchday. I would get to the Vet ASAP so they can show you the proper feeding and get this little boy off on a better start.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 10:13 PM

Thanks guys - will do and I will keep you updated. Where do I get a gram scale - like a kitchen store?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/05/08 10:14 PM

you can get a gram scale for postal stuff at walmart I believe

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/08/08 10:57 PM

Update - I weighed Elvis last night and he was about 420 grams. I have an appointment with the vet on Sunday morning. I think that because he was used to being fed seed that he was not feeling satisfied with the diet I was giving him. He has been very content the last couple of nights now that I am mixing a scoop of seed with his pellets and he is still eating the fresh fruits and veggies that I am feeding him as well.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 02:10 AM

Update - Elvis went to the vet. He looks very good including his weight. The vet recommended NOT to feed him by hand, but I found that the minute he starts with the baby business if I put him on his cage he stops. I found out his hatch date is 9/10/07, so 5 months old. His bloodwork will come back later this week, I'm praying that all is well. He was sent home with some Sunshine Factor that I started him on this am.
Posted By: Upstate

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ladida
Update - Elvis went to the vet. He looks very good including his weight. The vet recommended NOT to feed him by hand, but I found that the minute he starts with the baby business if I put him on his cage he stops. I found out his hatch date is 9/10/07, so 5 months old. His bloodwork will come back later this week, I'm praying that all is well. He was sent home with some Sunshine Factor that I started him on this am.

The vet is most likely recommending that you not attempt syringe feed as this can result in complications for the unprepared pet owner. I would garner a clarification. 5 months is quite young for a large cockatoo and although the weight is normal its the emotional implications of forced weaning that can become a detriment in your birds pet potential. Its not just a cockatoo issue...mammals are also subject to behavioral issues if "pulled" prior to readiness.
Spoon feeding a cockatoo that is asking for security is actually quite simple. If you are interested I will outline how, but even appropriate soft foods fed by hand may provide the comfort traditionally provided by the cockatoo parent.
My fully weaned amazon requested comfort feedings and i obliged....

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 05:33 AM

I agree...To deny this chick could be very detrimantal to it's psychological needs more than physical.Please read the abundance weaning link I posted prier and it will explain exactly that.You do not necessarily need to feed it baby formula but it is asking for food for comfort.Please reconsider.You can feed mashed potatoes and all kinds of veggies and just put themin the blender to make a nice texture for the spoon.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 05:38 AM

http://www.companionparrot.com/weaning%20transition.htm

Great Article. If you can read only one...make it this one below

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 07:36 PM

Actually - the night after the crying episode i tried spoon speeding some warm oatmeal and elvis was not interested at all. This behavior is stemming from his addiction to seed. I actually bought some seed to mix in with his pellet and he seemed much more satisfied and no crying, but it did cause the diarrhea. Yesterday he did not get any seed and actually I was holding him and getting something out of the cupboard and when he saw the seed he started crying. I put him up on his cage and finished eating his dinner.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 10:47 PM

Ladida you do what you feel is best but depriving him of this comfort is much like taking the bottle away from an actual baby when it needs the confort of a bottle and it is taken away too soon IMO.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/12/08 10:52 PM

oh goodness. This is very sad to me.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:32 AM

Like i said he refused the spoon feeding. did ya miss that part

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:39 AM

I am here for advice and I am going to do what is best for my cockatoo. Treating me like that is not a good way to get your point across. Now are you telling me to go against what my avain vet recommended? Is that what you are suggesting??
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:43 AM

ladida you seem to be missing the point of the great information and suggestions given to you. Comfort feeding does not have to be by spoon, it can also be by hand feeding tidbits. Getting him hooked on seed at this young age is going to cause major health issues along with dietary issues down the road. Nancy
Posted By: liviray

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:44 AM

Please dont be so defensive ....these people are trying to help you.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:45 AM

You did not read my post - I took him off the seed - he came to me hooked on it - I have had him for about 3 weeks now. He doesn't take food from my hand.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: liviray
Please dont be so defensive ....these people are trying to help you.

I am getting defensive when someone tells me "how sad".

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ladida
You did not read my post - I took him off the seed - he came to me hooked on it - I have had him for about 3 weeks now. He doesn't take food from my hand.

Ok, so you've defined his interest and what the cause of his begging. You're way ahead of the game.
A bit of seed is absolutely safe for a cockatoo, so if you want to provide him with a some, given his age and emotional needs, do so...it wont kill him or hurt him even in the short term. Also, dont worry that he will define that he gets seed everytime he begs over the long-run. He is a weanling and should be treated as such...you'll have plenty of time to modify his dietary wishes, but only specific developmental periods in which you can impact his long term well being. Dont put too much pressure on yourself or the bird to do what is perfect....its an art and a science...focus on the "art" presently.
If you decide not to give him seed offer him portions of his staple diet and reassure him with affection. This will create an understanding that the staple diet is associated with the need for food, and also "comforting" the bird diminishing the likliehood that an unwanted, creative, concepts of negativity on the birds part.
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 12:58 AM

"I actually bought some seed to mix in with his pellet and he seemed much more satisfied and no crying, but it did cause the diarrhea. Yesterday he did not get any seed and actually I was holding him and getting something out of the cupboard and when he saw the seed he started crying. I put him up on his cage and finished eating his dinner." It sounded like you were giving him seed again. Sorry if I misunderstood. I still hand feed Cassie at almost 4 years old. She looks forward to it each morning. It's a very nice bonding experience. We eat a PB sandwich on whole grain bread. Nancy

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 01:07 AM

I misunderstood as well I suppose

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 01:11 AM

Thank you for your input. I am learning his body language and starting to really be able to read him. He eats his other food very well when seed is not offered. If seed is offered he does not eat the good stuff.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 01:22 AM

I had startedc up the seed again after the crying but then stopped again after the vet visit.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 01:57 AM

At such a young age you are the parent of this baby and I am sorry if you feel I came across a bit rude...It did seem like you were not taking advice when given very good and important advice.I do tend to get upset when the advice is there but argued when we see the product of what happens to bird when it's NEEDS not wants are being ignored.

You need to sit with this baby and teach him everything from what is to eat all the way down to what to play with.Believe me this is allot of work and you need to be prepared for that as well.The food issue is just the start.

I bought my first cockatoo from a petstore and he was already in a serious phobic state when I bought him.He was force weaned very young...by 2 months old actually.I had no idea what was wrong with him and tried to find the answers but was asking the wrong people actually.I even asked a local breeder what could be wrong and she said he was fine too.I knew he wasn't.I phoned the pet store I bought him from and that got me nowhere they just kept telling me he was fine and he would change in time.

Eventually I went to my local vet (he is a farm animal,cat and dog vet) and he put me in touch with my Avian Vet.At this point Gabby was close to a year old and very phobic to the point where he was hurting himself trying to flee from everything.She is the one who got me feeding him like a baby again using foods and his pellets in the blender and warming them to feed to him.He was also allowed to grow in his flight feathers fo the confidence and try rewinding the damage that was done.

It has been years trying to help Gabby and I think he has come allot farther in recovery than even my AV thought he would.He is now able to sit with other people at the table and actually clown around for them to laugh and the more they laugh the more he will laugh.He is eating good and eats all foods now although in the past he was even scarred of most foods even.He is a special bird and has required much patience and understanding but has come a very long way.

This has taken 4 years to unwind all the damage humans caused him from not allowing him the very things he needed that was so easy to provide.He is now 5 years old and just started to allow my neice who lives with me to touch him and hold him.That in itself was a day of celebration because for 4 and a half years who wouldn't go to anyone but me.

So this is why I get a bit emotional when it comes to this subject.I know allot of this was my fault for buying something uneducated.

I also want to add it took me a while to get Gabby to eat from a spoon or even by finger food because of his shape but I did have to keep trying for him and his well being.I am not telling you to force it but please talk with a couple of Avian Vets get a few opinions and base your opinion on that.Some AV don't believe in the same philosophy of this but some do.

Re: The honeymoon is over - 02/13/08 07:13 PM

Thank you and I do take my ownership or vice versa of this bird very seriously as with all of my other animals. I am gathering all of the information that is out there and making decisions based on knowledge. He is a pretty well adjusted little guy considering probably being weaned too early. He is very social, he loves everyone in the family, he gets play time with us everyday. The only time he is locked in his cage is when we are not home, bedtime, or if he can't be supervised. He has lots of toys that I rotate and recycle. He has foraging activites that I give him. He has a very well balanced diet that includes red palm oil. Still learning though and I appreciate and do listen to the advice you folks are giving me. I am lucky enough to have an avian vet that is also a too owner - she has so much valuable information to give. Thanks guys
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!