Mytoos

Fun time in the cage

Posted By: Elliott

Fun time in the cage - 07/21/11 10:50 PM

I have been giving the Toos and others paper to play with. I've been giving them rolls of adding machine paper for awhile now. I've started giving them paperback books that I bought really cheap.

The adding machine paper, I pull out the center core and them pull the paper from the center and they pull at they like and make a good pile to play in all day. Tut the M2 will actually make a nest in the corner and sleep in that. Also, he will go mining under the whole she-bang and just have a blast.

The paperback books, I pull off the covers and just give them the whole book to destroy. The Macaw will just tear each page off and deop it. The Quaker just chews little bits.

Tut has become a much happier Too since I've been doing this and his feathers are looking a lot better although his wings are still chewed. Oh well, can't have everything.
Posted By: RB2sMom

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/21/11 10:53 PM

I also saw large toos given old phone books with the cover off, to tear up.....in a local zoo. They seemed to really enjoy it.
Posted By: Elliott

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/22/11 03:06 AM

Did that with Tut. He filled up the bottom of the cage about 18 inches deep. He looked like a mole rooting under the paper. I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me. I watched him for about 5 minutes. He was laughing, chortling, and jabbing away. He was in sheer bliss.
Posted By: Cleo's Mom

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/23/11 03:42 PM

Thanks - another thing I can try with my perch potato!
Posted By: carat

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/24/11 07:23 PM

Baby LOVES her uncovered phone books! She nibbled little bits off at first, then decided ripping it out page by page was more fun I guess. That cage floor gets covered so fast!

I should see about getting cheap paperback novels after these phone books are used up, but I doubt a novel would last more than a couple days with this crazy Cocky! =)

I love hearing about the fun times other birds have!
Posted By: lisarn3

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/24/11 09:34 PM

I pick up ohone books at the front of the grocery store and put them in their cages. With my little Ducorp and U2 it looks like a 6 in deep pile of confetti every day.
Posted By: flatheadfisher

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/24/11 09:36 PM

I cut them into 6 inch strips with my bandsaw. That makes them last longer. My birds really like them too!
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/24/11 10:27 PM

Paperbacks fit in any cage, easy clean-up too smile
Posted By: jm47

Re: Fun time in the cage - 07/25/11 04:39 AM

And if you have a garden, they are all nicely prepared for the compost pile!
Posted By: reproman

Re: Fun time in the cage - 08/04/11 07:40 PM

My U2 likes note cards. I give him about 4 in the morning and he enjoys notching them. I keep a notepad of paper next to my computer so he can step off and notch 10 pages or so at a time. He seems to enjoy chewing the clumps he bites off. I like the idea of adding machine paper as I only like using new, clean paper for the birds. Going to try that after work today.
Posted By: Mookie

Re: Fun time in the cage - 08/10/11 02:57 AM

I've seen 'toos shredding phone books...I've never given Luna one, though I've wanted to.

I was always worried about the ink being toxic. I guess not though?
Posted By: Charlie

Re: Fun time in the cage - 08/10/11 03:01 AM

I think most people are using soy inks now but in the ten years that Mytoos has been around, I cannot remember one documented case of a parrot or cockatoo becoming ill or having any problems tearing up phone books, newspapers or paperback novels.
© 2018 Real Cockatoo Facts!