Mytoos

toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears

Posted By: Mystic's Mommy

toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/04/08 11:02 PM

I'm reading through all the posts today and amazed at all the info here!!

I wanted to ask if any of your toos have any unrational fears?

My Mystic is deathly afraid of an empty toilet paper roll and anything that looks like it! As soon as she sees an empty TP roll, she gets all huffy - feathers all poofed as she sways back & forth hissing at it! If in the bathroom (we take showers together) she will try her hardest to get as far away from it as she can.

We can't figure out WHY she's afraid, she just is. I was wrapping presents last week and noticed she was all huffy in her cage next to me. I realized I had used the last of the paper and all that was sitting on the table was the cardboard roll! Oops! It usually takes her 15 - 20 minutes to calm down after seeing an empty roll. Very weird...it doesn't makes sense that she gets so scared of a little toilet paper roll, yet when I bring home a massive toy with strings and things all over it, she jumps up & down and gets so excited - as if she's saying "is that for ME? Please give it to me! Please please please!"

do they ever overcome these fears?? Or do we have to stop using tiolet paper in our house? (haha - just kidding! I'm not giving up THAT much for the bird!)

-Sharon
Posted By: ALI_G

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/04/08 11:07 PM

maybe at some point in her past she was hit or swatted at with a toilet paper or paper towel roll or even got her head stuck in one. simon is terrified of brooms spray bottles and fly swatters because they were used by previous owners for dicipline.
Posted By: Vinnie

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/04/08 11:39 PM

Sharon,

It's back to using the "ole out house". No need for toilet paper there, just a few catalogs..OUCH..lol.

On the flip side, our birds love TP and Paper Towel rolls. I can only assume at one point in Mystics life she had a bad encounter with these items, as was mentioned above.
Kim & Lilly had a thread posted some time back with pictures of Lilly shredding up the toilet paper while in the bathroom. So cute, as she got caught in the act.

Now that you are aware of these frightful items to your Mystic, you will need to try and keep them out of sight, or better yet you could try and incorporate a TP roll in one of her string toys (camouflage it) and maybe this help her to get over the fear. Just a thought.
Posted By: Brandy's mom

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/04/08 11:58 PM

There is some question as to the "tacky" glue on Tp & paper towel rolls being TOXIC to the birds. I will let you make your own decisions on that after your own research.
Posted By: Scarletts mom

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/04/08 11:59 PM

Mine loves TP rolls! What she is afraid of is her own feathers floating in the air!!! You'd think a hawk was coming out of the sky to swoop her away. That is the only time she SCREAMS! LOL! She also doesn't like big red the vaccuum cleaner. She sees me bring it out and the wings and crown spread in attack mode! They are funny creatures.

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 12:11 AM

BrandysMom,

As I too was concerned about the glue. I had asked this same question in another post and was told that the glue is actually "corn starch". Another members son works at a paper mill and this is what is used in place of glue. No need for concerns.

Just FYI.
Posted By: Charlie

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 12:42 AM

I have to dispute the anecdotal statement about the corn starch. When corn starch dries out, it forms a very dry, white powder. I will stick with what some vets are saying on their sites like this from Dr. Margaret Wissman:

Quote:
There may be significant amounts of zinc in the adhesive found on paper towel and toilet paper rolls. Birds should never be given these toys to chew up, as they may ingest zinc.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/zinc.html

A Bird Channel reader also asked about these rolls and received this reply from Scott:

Quote:
I e-mailed several major paper towel manufacturers to ask about the possibility of zinc in the cardboard rolls.

I received a reply from the Kimberly Clark Corporation:

Thanks for your e-mail about SCOTTŪ towels.

Although the core glue is safe for its intended use, it is not intended to be ingested. It is not food grade and does not meet indirect food contact regulations. Therefore, we cannot recommend that it be used with pets.

Thanks again for your e-mail.

Sheila

Consumer Services

Kimberly-Clark Corp.

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and...005-08-01-23088

Posted By: Mystic's Mommy

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 12:44 AM

scarlett's mom - her own feathers - that's too funny!

I paid $$ for a nice shower perch for Mystic so she could get in & out of the water without having to climb on me. But she's scared to death of that thing also....I realized it's b/c it's the same color as the darned TP rolls frown I tried covering the perch up with a dish towel and she was fine sitting on it then...until she uncovered it and realized what she was sitting on....she immediately took off when she saw what was under the towel - straight into the wall and onto the floor - the poor thing.

So much for the shower perch frown But at least I can put that away...you can't do anything about the feathers!

About the glue on TP roles - never would have thought about it! thanks for the info!
Posted By: Janny

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 02:51 AM

You should have seen Gabby when a fruit fly jumped out of his dish...We're talking death scream and flailung in his cage.I went running htinking something had him for sure.He flew out of that cage and hung on to me and was trying to fly away with me in his talons.I had to follow his eyes to see what the heck he was so scarred of...fruit fly.They are deadly I guess in his eyes.lol
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 03:11 AM

Jan Cassie is just like Gabby! Any bug is out to kill her. Spiders are the worst by far though! She takes after me with my arachnophobia!! She is also terrified of her own feathers floating in air! Once they land then their fair game to be chewed up and then given to me to chew! Yuck. She is also afraid of flashlights, lasers and cell phone lights. Nancy

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 03:27 AM

Gabby and I are with Cassie and you on the arachnophobia.He spots them a mile away and I get in the spider killing gear (rubber dishwashing gloves and fly swatter) and follow his eye again.We are quite a team.lol.
Posted By: gizzytoo

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 05:28 AM

Ditto on the "Killer Flys" I think bugs are the only thing they are afraid of... 60 lb dog, full grown wife, you better run or I'll rip your throat out, teeny tiny knat or fly comes by-run for your life, HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Lovey's Mom

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 06:02 AM

Garden hoses and those large exercise balls are two of the big killers around here! Cindy

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 06:17 AM

Thanks Charlie.

I was stating what I was told by another member, due to her son working at a paper mill that makes toilet paper and them using corn starch on their rolls. I don't know of the brand they make, but maybe she will see this post and give us further information. Apparantly she is not aware of this and the Zinc level as well.

Glad you have brought this article to the forefront regarding Scott Towels.

Thanks again., much appreciated.
Posted By: BellaOctober1

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 08:29 AM

Martini is afraid of the cardboard rolls from both paper towels and toilet paper. She's also afraid of boxes, made of wood and cardboard.

Since I don't know about her 3 years of life prior to me, I just have to respect her fear. One day down the long road of her psychological progress, I hope she eventually desires to rip these cheap toys to bits.

Until then, she has magazines, newspaper, expensive toys and rags to rip apart
Posted By: Jesterhtk

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/05/08 11:13 PM

I noticed my u2 loved toilet papper rolls so what i do is use a sharp knife and srap all the glue off then scrap a little more to make sure there is none left then i let her tear them apart smile
My U2 is affrad of sticks perches in hand so i assume she was hit with one if i put a perch on the floor she is fine but if i pick it up she freaks she is also fine with the perches in her cage

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/06/08 02:06 AM

Jesterhtk,

I am not sure that scraping off the glue would be enough considering most paper and cardboard products usually absorb the glue or any liquid forms.To be on the safe side I would not use them.
Posted By: hollipop

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/06/08 05:04 PM

Most of mine are afraid of stick perches in hand. I also fostered an amazon who hated the colour red, he got very fretful if you tried to offer him tomatoes or strawberries. Lily (daughter) has this Fifi and the flower tots doll( not sure whether you have Fifi over there) and Chloe hates it with a passion, its not huge or anything, but she will attack it if she sees it.
Posted By: SweetieToo

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/06/08 09:29 PM

Well better safe than sorry, we will no longer give any of the paper rolls to our Sweetie, she loved chewing them up but I just won't take the chance now knowing they might be harmful. She gets fresh wood daily and so many other toys, that I barely think she will notice that the rollers are no longer available hehe.
Posted By: Jesterhtk

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/06/08 11:27 PM

I have taken them out of her cage and will no longer let her play with them thanks for the heads up
Posted By: mandymmr

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/07/08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Janny
You should have seen Gabby when a fruit fly jumped out of his dish...We're talking death scream and flailung in his cage... see what the heck he was so scarred of...fruit fly.They are deadly I guess in his eyes.lol

Janny,
that is so my Ellie grin. We are talking fearful. And as you know I feel like I live in the amityville house because we have them terribly.
Posted By: mandymmr

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/07/08 02:41 PM

I can't find the post for Kim & Lilly where her baby got caught ripping toilet paper. Can anyone help? I would love to see it!!!

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/08/08 04:11 AM

mandymmr,

I have located the link for you regarding Kim & Lilly...and the pictures of Lilly tearing up the toilet paper in her bathroom.

It is so cute!

http://pets.webshots.com/album/561050206EcgTCX
Posted By: gizzytoo

Re: toilet paper rolls and other unrational fears - 01/08/08 04:26 AM

I used to give my U2 toilet paper rolls & paper towel rolls 2-3 times a week in hopes she'd stop chewing her feathers off, thankfully it didn't kill her, it didn't stop her from chewing her feathers, no more tp rolls & she still has no feathers..
© 2020 Real Cockatoo Facts!