Mytoos

Aviary Crashers

Posted By: Jaclyn

Aviary Crashers - 03/18/13 02:37 AM

I'm a huge fan of Yard Crashers, etc on the Do It Yourself Network. So I'm about to crash my bird's room. Her impossible to clean Cages by Design cage will be replaced with a slightly smaller but easier to clean Avian Adventures Hacienda dome top ... and the room will be refurnushed with beak proof steel storage cabinets. I'm planning on replacing the carpet with something easier to dust and clean. Air filtration,sun lamps ... what will rock this aviary crash?

Please send me your ideas for a monster crash of this aviary room.

Ps.This weekend watching these shows I now know where she picked up the expression "oh my God"
Posted By: Elliott

Re: Aviary Crashers - 03/18/13 04:15 AM

A waterfall maybe. Great for adding humidity. Also, if set up in such a way, a good bathing spot.

Years while working at the zoo, we built waterfalls in all the big bird cages.
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Aviary Crashers - 03/18/13 12:04 PM

Love the idea of an indoor waterfall. I bet it would be easy if you used one that's made for the patio. All the wires are hidden in the back so it could be pushed right up against the wall with the outlet behind it. The big box stores all sell them in the garden shop and they should be coming out for spring.
Posted By: Elliott

Re: Aviary Crashers - 03/18/13 12:45 PM

I saw one a Lowe's yesterday that was only about 2 feet tall and the size of a wastebasket. Thought it would make a nice addition and not take up too much space.
Posted By: Jaclyn

Re: Aviary Crashers - 03/19/13 05:34 AM

The waterfall sounds great! She likes to try to bath in her water dish, so a "water feature" will be perfect. Plus I will like the soothing sound. I will check out Lowes. I'd been looking at humidifiers/vaporizers so like the idea of a waterfall to add humidity and provide splashing fun.
Posted By: jm47

Re: Aviary Crashers - 05/01/13 02:53 AM

I built one from cement, rocks, a pond pump, and a big plastic tub, about 3years ago. Used it mostly on the deck. I could take it apart for cleaning, and that was an exercise program, believe me! I need to replace the tub, but I keep hoping to set it up indoors. Lest you get all intimidated, it only takes one bag of quick-set cement to make a "pile of rocks" capable of holding a pond pump in place while a conure dances around on top. I molded it in 2 pieces, using an ice cream bucket for the base, and one of those fancy gelatin molds for the top.
Posted By: jm47

Re: Aviary Crashers - 05/01/13 02:59 AM

Cleaning the waterfall/shower is an important part of heallth care, because my birds, like many others, like to finish off bathtime with a big, sloppy "applesauce", to use Phred's term.
I would suggest slate floors, with a drain in the middle! Slate is fairly good non-slip flooring, and tolerates wetness well. The drain is just the easiest thing I can think of for cleaning. If running an extra sewer pipe is not workable, maybe the drain could run into the compost pile?
© 2019 Real Cockatoo Facts!