Mytoos

Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites

Posted By: EchosMom

Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/05/08 10:16 PM

I thought it would be nice if we had one thread where everyone could share some of their favorite online sites. Please be cognizant of the links you post - NO BREEDER OR BREEDER FRIENDLY sites. Check the sites links before posting also - if they link to breeders those won't be allowed either. Management will delete any sites not deemed acceptable at their discretion w/out explanation, so please do not repost a site if it's been removed. THANKS!

Two is one of my favorite sites:

Bird Safe Store

This is not a thread for retailers to join and advertise their site/products. Advertisement on this board is limited to those organizations with 501(c) status only and must be approved by the Administrators. This is a sharing of information among members here from their personal experience in dealing with reputable companies that do NOT support the bird trade industry.
Posted By: ZazuSally

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/05/08 10:43 PM

In Canada:

Ontario: www.birdbrains.ca

Bev

Posted By: Nomokis

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/05/08 10:55 PM

Wow! Thanks for the great links EM! I'm going to be running up my credit card tonight! HAH! Christmas is coming. smile smile smile
Posted By: TiKa's Dad

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 12:45 AM

Great links.
Posted By: ralphsdad

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 03:44 AM

The two cheapest sites that I have found for bird toys and toy parts are

Busy Beaks

California Bird Nerds

The people at busy beaks are extremely helpful and their prices are dirt cheap. Bird nerds has an extensive collection of toy parts with dollar deals and lots of sale items.
Posted By: birdsrule

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 03:45 AM

Thanks for the links...my Timneh is afraid of everything except parrot pacifiers so I am always looking for them...it is just not the same looking at cool bird toys with no 2 to share them with...

I just showed my husband the toys so he is getting the hint that while I am being good..I am starting to get the bug to start looking for a 2 that wants to adopt me!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 04:58 AM

Itch, itch!! smile

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 05:27 AM

Once again, thanks for the links! I just bought $200 worth of toys on Smart Bird Toys and a whole bunch of food on Bird Safe Store. smile smile smile Bella will be please, indeed!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 05:58 PM

I also sell toys but all money from the sale of my toys goes to Avian Disease Research at the University of Guelph. I even cover the cost of materials. My toys do not last very long though. I use only natural materials. No glue, no plastic. I use wood, hemp, veggi-tanned leather, seagrass rope, paper rope, etc. I make them and I can't even afford to keep my birds supplied with them. LOL Janet bought a bunch and I think they lasted for 5 minutes. LOL I'm going to take some pictures this weekend if anyone is interested in having a look.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/06/08 06:33 PM

Here's a few more:

Parrot Toy Angels

Birdy Booty

Bev's toys are FANTASTIC - lots of chewing enjoyment!
Posted By: CARLOS

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/12/08 07:24 AM

I will be buying some toys for my new U2.
Posted By: rockinseattle

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/12/08 07:18 PM

TOY/FOOD STORES

http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/

CAGE PAPER
http://www.papermart.com/index/index_packaging_papers.htm

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 03:53 AM

EM,

Do you know how long it usually takes Smart Bird Toys to send their stuff? I ordered 10 days ago but haven't heard from them. Hmmm. Curious.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 06:20 AM

whats the best toy for a U2

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Nomokis
EM,

Do you know how long it usually takes Smart Bird Toys to send their stuff? I ordered 10 days ago but haven't heard from them. Hmmm. Curious.

Their sites says that orders are shipped between 3-5 days, excluding weekends. My experience has been that it is usually closer to the 5th day. If you ordered on the 5th, which was a Wednesday, your order should have been sent out no later than the 12th. They ship UPS ground. Except for order confirmations I have never received a shipping notice from them. They are in GA, so if you don't get your order on Monday, I would call them. There is only one time that I had a problem with an order and when I called, they said it was because a few of the things I ordered weren't in stock, but they expecting any day so they were holding shipment until those items arrived. The day I called, the had just received the items and got the order out that day. BUT, to my pleasant surprise, about 2 weeks later I got another package from them. Because of the delay, they doubled my 25% discount coupon that I had from the newsletter and sent me another 25% of my order in more stuff that I order on a regular basis.

Carlos, what kind of toys does your bird enjoy? Each bird is an individual. What one bird may enjoy, another will ignore. Why don't you go into the New Member's Introduction forum, introduce yourself and tell us a little about your bird. smile
Posted By: umbimom

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 12:58 PM

For anyone who makes there own toys or uses wooden beads here is the place I order from
Caseyswood.com
They are more a craft store, but they sell bags of seconds for bird toy parts. Sharon
Posted By: BE2Cassie

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 02:52 PM

Has anyone ever used this place? Their prices don't look too bad and they sell parts and undyed toys.
http://www.fowl-play.com/cart/enter.html
Nancy
Posted By: Janny

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/15/08 09:58 PM

Nancy I haven't used that place but I will be placing an order. Some of their parts and toys are very reasonably priced. I love they use undyed and natural. Great! Thanx !
Posted By: Bird Mom

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 12:17 AM

Good prices! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 12:24 AM

Here's another new site (Bev sent it to me). It's quite impressive!

http://www.avianenrichment.com/
Posted By: Janny

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 12:48 AM

Impressive to say the least.Thanx for sharing!
Posted By: Bird Mom

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 01:35 AM

I had to save that site as well! Great ideas...

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 07:53 AM

what kind of perch do most people rcommend for a U2?

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 02:15 PM

The best thing is to provide many perches of different size, shape and textures.

Not linkable
Quote:
“We’re looking for the best, long-term perching figure for pet birds. This may differ from how wild parrots roost, but for our purposes a 65- to 75-percent wraparound figure is ideal.” This factors in elements such as secure gripping and foot stress.

Add It Up — Perch Equation

To arrive at this 75 percent, or three-quarter, wraparound figure, use the following formula: FL (foot length) = 75% x p d (perch circumference measurement; “d” equals diameter).

So, if a cockatiel foot is 38 millimeters long, then a perch diameter should be roughly 16 millimeters to allow for a three-quarter wraparound (37.68 = 75% x 3.14 x 16).

The goal in specific sizing is to reduce the strain on the proximal tarsometatarsus, the bones (a series of joints, like a finger) that are most utilized in perching birds. The proximal tarsometatarsus should not be sitting flat on a perch all the time.

If the perch is too big, there is potential for pressure sores at the junction of the first inside toe (digit #1) and the first forward toe (digit #2) and for the birds to fall off their perch while sleeping because the toes are not grasping properly.

Different Perch Diameters For Different Perch Uses

Use the 75-percent formula to determine what size perch would be best for your bird. Place this perch in the highest spot in the cage, where your bird will sleep. This high spot is where birds — which are on their feet at all time — will stay solidly in one place for the longest period of the day.

For grooming perches, select one with a slightly larger diameter than the sleeping perch. Stepping up and down on this larger surface will incorporate the nails and file them. “Diameter should be slightly larger so the foot reaches halfway around,” said Colorado avian vet Dr. Lisa Paul. “The climbing and moving action is what will manicure the foot.”

Some birds like to hang upside down, so the perch diameter has to be on the small side. So makes sure there is at least one smaller sized perch in the cage.

Straight wooden and plastic dowels cannot be the only option in a cage; movement to and from various-sized perches is necessary for birds to exercise and build callouses. A multi-sized perch of varying diameters is one excellent choice for promoting foot exercise. The change in shape will encourage active use of different muscles.

“If a sore grows slowly, it will turn into a callous. For a bird that is constantly on the wrong-size perch, the sore will grow quickly and lead to bleeding and more damage.”
Posted By: KarenH

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/16/08 05:44 PM

Thanks, EM and Bev for introducing me to avianenrichment.com

I've 2 parrotlets - my 12-year old female inherited and is attached to my C2's small white snuggle ring which is probably 13-15 years old now. She sleeps in it and hangs on the top of it during the day. She's very attached to the ratty, stinking thing and shows stress when I remove it for any reason, making it difficult to get cleaned and dried within one day.
For years, I've looked for that white small snuggle ring and tried replacements - but to no avail.

Anyway... BINGO - today I found it on avianenrichment!!!! Ordered two of them! The description even mentioned parrotlets loved 'em --- and while I was there, I spent next week's budget on new toys and swings! I'll be dining on noodles and chez and cracks next week!

The site seems to be aware of the unique needs of parrotlets by offering small sized foraging toys, stimulating toys and swings appropriate for their size. Parrotlets are just small Amazons - and their needs aren't the same as a similar sized parakeet - I'll be a regular shopper there.

Thanks again for the info!!!
Posted By: Bokka-pooh

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/17/08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: CARLOS
whats the best toy for a U2

20-30 toys per large giant double macaw cage (or 10 toys switched out every day and foraging toys refilled, etc) ARE THE GOOD TOYS smile No one toy is a good toy. Yikes, if any of my toos just had one toy, they'd be plucking, screaming, over needy, and BORED!
Posted By: RB2sMom

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/18/08 11:41 PM

I got a box of toys about a year ago from this store for my 2 RB2s: https://zoo-max.com/

They are in Canada and information is also in French. I really liked the quality of what I got and the toys seemed to last longer than others that I bought online or at stores. It is important notice measurements or you can end up getting something too big for a smaller too that looks like an alien octopus that is a little scary. Our male RB2 "outchews" our female at least 3-1 or more. The price is worth the quality of the toys and when buying, it is best to buy in bulk for shipping costs, etc. Even considering the price of shipping, they were still a good buy. You have to use your pay pal account to order.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/25/08 06:26 PM

Just a note, I still haven't received my order from Smart Bird Toys. I've talked to her on the phone/email multiple times and the story changes slightly every time. I don't think she's trying to steal my money or anything, but I'm starting to get frusterated. Oh well. She asked me to wait 'til Friday and let her know if I've received it yet.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/25/08 07:08 PM

Gosh, I have only ever had a problem with them once and they were quick to correct it. Did you ask for a tracking number for the shipment?

I'm going to put a notice on the link - SLOW shipping based on your experience.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/25/08 07:57 PM

She said she never gets tracking numbers. Weird. We'll see. I'll let you know when I get the package.
Posted By: Ladyhutch

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/26/08 04:58 AM

I had a problem with my last order from Smart Bird Toys also. A few items were back ordered and she stated they would be delivered in a month. Waited the month and more and finally e-mailed asking what had happened. She answered quickly and stated they were not able to get items and my card would be credited. I never did check to see if the money was credited back. maybe I should do that.
Sharon

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/26/08 05:05 AM

Ok, well I'm taking their link down then...too bad for them. I've ordered quite a bit from them and only ever had a problem once, but w/two of you have difficulty I'm yanking it.

Sorry guys, and yes Sharon, I'd be looking to see if I got that credit!!!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/21/09 04:20 PM

Well, I decided to give Smart Bird Toys a go again and it was a HUGE mistake. Shipping wasn't a problem but 90% of what I ordered wasn't in stock so the owner called and we swapped out some items. My order was suppose to be of equal value. When it was delivered I sat down and went over the merchandise 1 by 1 and matched it up against their site. $85 short. After a few emails I got a response that a credit was being issued, but I just got my bill and it was not. This was almost a month ago. I fired off another email yesterday asking where the credit is. Sharon did you ever get your refund???

So moral of the story, DON'T BUY TOYS FROM SMART BIRD TOYS.
Posted By: Ladyhutch

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/21/09 07:13 PM

No Janet, I did not. No response to emails. Finally gave up. Lesson learned.
Sharon

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/22/09 12:51 AM

Dang Sharon, there is NO excuse for that. I have her phone number and am going to give her until Monday to respond to me. I also have her home phone number - that will be my next point of contact.

If I don't get some satisfaction soon I will dispute the charge with the credit card company.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/22/09 03:02 AM

EM, you go girl, I wouldn't let her get away with it either. $85 is a lot of money. Spread the word not to buy from her. I will certainly be telling people not to buy anything from her. Customer service is a very important thing especially these days when the economy is so bad. She should know better.

Bev

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 11/22/09 03:09 AM

I plan on spreading the word - including posting it on Facebook with a link to the store and warning everyone not to order from them.

I just fired off another email to her and let her know that I am very concerned because I have recommended the site to others and am now finding out that other orders have not been completely fulfilled w/no credits being issued. I included that if I have to, I will dispute the entire charge with the credit card company and that neither of us needs that kind of hassle.
Posted By: Clicky

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/02/09 03:43 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has had a problem with 8beaks Bird Toys, but this is stressing me out. I placed an order July 18th for $65.00 (Just toy parts and such for Paj). I got an e-mail saying that my order was shipped on August 21st, and my credit card was billed.

After 8 weeks, I sent an e-mail asking about my package that had not arrived yet (I couldn't track it online, either). On November 5th, I got an e-mail from UPS that my shipping was cancelled. I checked my credit card, and my money has not been credited back.

I sent an e-mail on November 9th, explaining the situation and asking what can be done. I didn't get a reply. I sent another one today, December 1st.

Before I ordered, all of the e-mails I sent regarding my order were promptly responded to (the same day or the day after). She really was nothing but helpful and kind. Since ordering, communication has been shut off. I got one e-mail in September telling me that she would get back to me in a few days, and to verify my address. I have not recieved anything since.

I hate any type of conflict (I'm also very patient), but I'm not sure how to handle this. I've ordered bird toys from several other websites, without any problem. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this store?
Posted By: Liisa B

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/02/09 06:32 AM

I've not dealt with them directly but regardless of how much, or little you ordered - you should be treated with courtesy & respect. This isn't happening here!
If it were me - I'd be calling - about 10-14 days after they said your order was shipped, depending on ETA.
Just my 2 cents... I'm NOT a patient person when it comes to bad customer service!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/02/09 05:05 PM

Hannah, Lisa told me this problem has been resolved. Has it? I have dealt with Lisa for many years and found her customer service to be excellent.

Bev
Posted By: Clicky

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/02/09 11:05 PM

Oh, thank you Bev!! I got 3 e-mails this morning resolving the whole thing. I'm so happy, she was really nice and offered to send me some extra. Paji will have new toys for Christmas!!

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/03/09 01:16 AM

I'm glad it was resolved. I did receive confirmation of my credit from Smart Birds as well. I will never do business with them again though.

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/03/09 02:25 AM

She told me she was going to double your order. You've been very patient if you placed that order in July. Unfortunately, she runs that business all by herself and sometimes life gets in the way. I had a similar problem but when she explained the situation, I waited until things got back to normal for her. She definitely made it up to me.

I'm glad things worked out because I consider 8Beaks one of the top 5 bird stores to deal with.

And you are welcome!!

Bev
Posted By: jewl495

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/16/09 10:15 PM

I've ordered from Linda at www.discountbirdtoys.com before with good service. What I loved about her toys is they are easy for me to recreat over and over again.

I thought that her profits went towards recue but I dont see that listed anywhere on her site.
Posted By: candycow

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 12/21/09 03:36 AM

i have been making bird toys for 10 yrs now and have searchrd every site there is and the cheapest by far is XXXXXXXX

there chain is 60 cents a foot 37.50 for a roll
they have so many items
they are not breeders nor linked to any
they ship mostly the next day unless it is ordered late at night
i have ordered from so many but now no one else but them
l cant believe no one else orders from them
check them out there prices CANNOT be beat
candycow
Posted By: Mz. Cat

Re: Favorite Online Toy /Cage/Supply Sites - 01/19/10 05:01 PM

I love the idea of making toys and selling them as a fund raiser for avian charities! It's not going to be something I'll be able to do right away but it is definitely going into the active plotting file!
© 2020 Real Cockatoo Facts!